Spotted Today!

Started by Raza , June 22, 2005, 06:24:46 PM

cawimmer430

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

cawimmer430

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

93JC

First new Ford Ranger I've seen, and it just so happens it was parked behind my car. Didn't even realize until the end of the day when I was leaving.

RomanChariot

I saw a black Cosworth Vega on the road yesterday. I haven't seen any Vegas on the road in years. My father used to have a green Vega when I was young.

FoMoJo

Quote from: RomanChariot on March 15, 2019, 09:31:53 AM
I saw a black Cosworth Vega on the road yesterday. I haven't seen any Vegas on the road in years. My father used to have a green Vega when I was young.

Likely only the Cosworth versions survived more than 3 years.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

cawimmer430

www.wimmerfotografie.de

RomanChariot

Quote from: FoMoJo on March 15, 2019, 11:57:53 AM

My father had his Vega for a long time. Of course it was parked for much of that time.

The funny thing about the picture of the Vega that I posted is that I grabbed it from Wikipedia and I just now noticed that the car has Utah plates. The one that I saw on the road was not in that clean of condition but it did have a nice exhaust note.

FoMoJo

Quote from: RomanChariot on March 15, 2019, 02:23:26 PM
My father had his Vega for a long time. Of course it was parked for much of that time.

The funny thing about the picture of the Vega that I posted is that I grabbed it from Wikipedia and I just now noticed that the car has Utah plates. The one that I saw on the road was not in that clean of condition but it did have a nice exhaust note.
The Vega seemed like a good idea at the time.  I remember seeing quite a number of them when the model first came out.  It seemed that, after a while, you could hear them coming from a block away; sounding sort of like a thrashing machine.  The Cosworths however, were good.  They put in steel cylinder inserts among other upgrades.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

shp4man

I'm wondering how something like this ends up in Germany and stays so clean and nice.  :huh:

cawimmer430

Quote from: shp4man on March 15, 2019, 04:16:43 PM
I'm wondering how something like this ends up in Germany and stays so clean and nice.  :huh:

There's a few scenarios which may apply.

It may have been owned by a member of the US Army who sold it to a local back in the day, and that local may have later restored it and handed it down to his family members etc.

Or it may actually have been imported from the US in recent years. There are a number of German businesses that send their experts over scoping the US for good condition classic cars, which they then buy. These cars are then either displayed and sold to an interested party, or they were bought for a client who specifically wanted a certain make and model in good condition.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

FoMoJo

What the heck is it?

shp4man

Quote from: FoMoJo on March 15, 2019, 07:48:59 PM
What the heck is it?

It's about a 1970 Chevy Monte Carlo.

dazzleman

Quote from: shp4man on March 15, 2019, 08:34:06 PM

That was one of my favorites when I was a new driver.  I wanted to get one, but I couldn't find one in good enough condition at the time.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

dazzleman

:ohyeah: Sweet!
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Soup DeVille

Quote from: FoMoJo on March 15, 2019, 11:57:53 AM

One Vega for the price of two! 

Vegas were pretty common even in the mid-'80s here, and very few of them were the Cosworth Twin Cams.

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Soup DeVille

Quote from: cawimmer430 on March 15, 2019, 07:33:43 PM
There's a few scenarios which may apply.

It may have been owned by a member of the US Army who sold it to a local back in the day, and that local may have later restored it and handed it down to his family members etc.

Or it may actually have been imported from the US in recent years. There are a number of German businesses that send their experts over scoping the US for good condition classic cars, which they then buy. These cars are then either displayed and sold to an interested party, or they were bought for a client who specifically wanted a certain make and model in good condition.

One thing I've noticed about old American cars in Europe (other than they are almost exclusively in great shape), is that a lot of them are not the top trim or big engine versions. They are the more common trim levels that are more indicative of the era they came from.

In the US, pretty much only the sportiest trims have survived, and most of the V6s and base level trim cars have either been scrapped, driven to the point where they should be, or been given engine swaps and either turned into "SS" clones (of course that may be a problem in itself in Germany), or otherwise hot-rodded (with varying degrees of competence).
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

FoMoJo

Quote from: shp4man on March 15, 2019, 08:34:06 PM

I figured it was a late '60s early '70s GM, but usually the model name is on the trunk.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: FoMoJo on March 16, 2019, 08:20:31 AM
I figured it was a late '60s early '70s GM, but usually the model name is on the trunk.

It is. (I can't read it either)

cawimmer430

www.wimmerfotografie.de

FoMoJo

shp4man

WTF- diesel? Export only?

Soup DeVille

Quote from: FoMoJo on March 16, 2019, 10:11:54 AM
Does this help?

If I didn't recognize the overall shape, and the '70s ubiquitous  Brougham rectangle, that could be Arabic for all I know.

93JC

Quote from: shp4man on March 16, 2019, 10:15:36 AM
WTF- diesel? Export only?

Grand Cherokees were available with diesels in North America for several years...

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

cawimmer430

www.wimmerfotografie.de

FoMoJo

Top town weather over there already?

The GT1300 is a little jewel, but I always thought the engine was a bit small.

cawimmer430

Quote from: FoMoJo on March 24, 2019, 10:52:07 AM
Top town weather over there already?

The GT1300 is a little jewel, but I always thought the engine was a bit small.

Today is a warm and lovely day. Tomorrow it's gonna be cool again.

I think the beauty of the GT 1300 is that the engine is very lively and rev-happy. Plus the car is very light.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

www.wimmerfotografie.de