What would you do?

Started by BMWDave, June 22, 2007, 01:12:39 PM

BMWDave

My friend (the one with the '99 TL that has nearly 300,000 miles) is starting to really consider getting a new car.  First off, there is an alarming noise coming from the rear wheel on the passenger side.  A constant droning, squeaking, which sounds very bad.  Additionally, the car has not been starting normally...you turn the key, and absolutely nothing happens.  After some time, it immediately starts right up.  He also said that it had trouble turning over the other day.  He's taking it to the mechanic today.  This guy drives a lot (cmon, who else do you know that has 300K miles on a car with the original engine, chasis, transmission, etc). 

He's looking at either a CPO TL (must have navigation), and I got him to look a bit at the MazdaSpeed6 with the 6spd.  He likes the AWD of the 6, but not the fact that it doesn't have navigation.  This is the same guy that just got the Miata, so I think he'd get a nice deal if he pursued the 6.  (FBC got one for 25K a good time ago, so I'm thinking that maybe he could get one for a little less than that).  A CPO TL from 2005 or 2006 would have around a 27K MSRP. 

Personally, I think he will get the TL (since he's had such a good experience with both Acura and his dealer), but he is looking at TL 6spds as well.   I'm just wondering if you guys had any thoughts about these two cars - any egregious issues with any of them, etc. 

If you were in this situation, what would you do? 

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

SJ_GTI

Quote from: BMWDave on June 22, 2007, 01:12:39 PM
If you were in this situation, what would you do??

I'd rather have a newer TSX than an older TL. If he drives that much, he would probably appreciate the additional mileage, even ignoring that the TSX has other attributes that I prefer to the TL (looks, handling).

Champ

If he's driving 40 thousand miles per year, I suggest he gets something comfortable.... :)

Either car will be a winner for him.  If he finds a nicer car but he doesn't like it because of nav, why doesn't he just buy a protable unit?

BMWDave

Quote from: Champ on June 22, 2007, 01:17:42 PM
If he's driving 40 thousand miles per year, I suggest he gets something comfortable.... :)

Either car will be a winner for him.? If he finds a nicer car but he doesn't like it because of nav, why doesn't he just buy a protable unit?

Oh, I know, he definitely wants something comfortable.  He sat in a Speed6 and said it was a great seat/seating position.  I need to get him to testdrive one.  I suggested a portable unit to him already, and he just might do that.  But he's an irrational guy at times, and not having a factory system is a dent against a car, in his mind.

I told him that simply buying another Acura will not ensure that the car will be as reliable as his TL now.  If it was me, I'd probably go for the Speed6. 

2007 Honda S2000

BMWDave

Quote from: SJ_GTI on June 22, 2007, 01:16:52 PM
I'd rather have a newer TSX than an older TL. If he drives that much, he would probably appreciate the additional mileage, even ignoring that the TSX has other attributes that I prefer to the TL (looks, handling).

I think he needs the extra space of the TL over the TSX.  Additionally, he's much more inclined to buy a TL since he has that car already. 

2007 Honda S2000

Raza

Quote from: BMWDave on June 22, 2007, 01:38:19 PM
I think he needs the extra space of the TL over the TSX.? Additionally, he's much more inclined to buy a TL since he has that car already.?

The TL isn't that much bigger than the TSX.  They're both Accords, afterall, just for different markets.  It's not like TSX is Civic based. 

I'd take the TSX.  It's probably very similar in size to his TL.

The MS6 is good choice if gas mileage doesn't matter.  And tell him not to sweat it about the Navi, as aftermarket systems, even cheaper ones like my dad's, are rather advanced and easy to update. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SJ_GTI

Quote from: BMWDave on June 22, 2007, 01:38:19 PM
I think he needs the extra space of the TL over the TSX.? Additionally, he's much more inclined to buy a TL since he has that car already.?

I understand he would be more inclined to buy something he's familiar with, but FYI the TSX isn't that much smaller on the inside. The main issue with its size is that its not as wide. Unless you are carrying 3 people in the backseat regularly I can't see where size would be a realistic issue between the two cars (even then, the TL still isn't that much better, and if you need to carry 5 people regularly there are much better choices).

The only clear advantage for the TL is the V6, but you'd think someone driving 40k miles a year would be more interested in fuel efficiency.

Come to think of it, I'm surprised he isn't driving a diesel.

BMWDave

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=9771.msg485628#msg485628 date=1182541804
The TL isn't that much bigger than the TSX.? They're both Accords, afterall, just for different markets.? It's not like TSX is Civic based.?

I'd take the TSX.? It's probably very similar in size to his TL.

The MS6 is good choice if gas mileage doesn't matter.? And tell him not to sweat it about the Navi, as aftermarket systems, even cheaper ones like my dad's, are rather advanced and easy to update.?

The TL and MS6 get very similar mileage...19/25 vs 18/26. 

2007 Honda S2000

Tave

I'd take the TL in his position. Sounds like he's really eating up those interstate miles. From what I understand, the TL cabin is superbly finnished.

How about getting him to testdrive the two? :thumbsup:
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

BMWDave

Quote from: SJ_GTI on June 22, 2007, 01:51:12 PM
I understand he would be more inclined to buy something he's familiar with, but FYI the TSX isn't that much smaller on the inside. The main issue with its size is that its not as wide. Unless you are carrying 3 people in the backseat regularly I can't see where size would be a realistic issue between the two cars (even then, the TL still isn't that much better, and if you need to carry 5 people regularly there are much better choices).

The only clear advantage for the TL is the V6, but you'd think someone driving 40k miles a year would be more interested in fuel efficiency.

Come to think of it, I'm surprised he isn't driving a diesel.

He's concerned with fuel efficiency, but not fanatical about it.  And most of his miles are all high speed (70mph or so) highway miles. 

2007 Honda S2000

BMWDave

Quote from: Tave on June 22, 2007, 02:12:13 PM
I'd take the TL in his position. Sounds like he's really eating up those interstate miles. From what I understand, the TL cabin is superbly finnished.

How about getting him to testdrive the two? :thumbsup:

That's really what he needs to do.   :ohyeah:  But this is all on a very tight schedule now.  The car suddenly started acting up, with massive noises from the suspension.  If his mechanic says today it'll need to have $2000 in repairs, he will probably buy a new car very quickly, like this week. 

2007 Honda S2000

Tave

Then I'd get the TL, for the cabin alone. It's very attractive.

Pressure him to get a 6spd :devil:
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

r0tor

umm, a Navi is an option on the 'Speed6  :huh:
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

CJ

TL hands down.  It's a classy vehicle and has an interior that is fantastic. 

BMWDave

Quote from: r0tor on June 22, 2007, 02:21:57 PM
umm, a Navi is an option on the 'Speed6? :huh:

You're absolutely correct.  I had thought it wasn't an option.  However, the car on the lot didn't have a nav, and my friend would like to deal with them since he bought the Miata from them.  Perhaps he could ask them to order the car from another dealer.

2007 Honda S2000

Lebowski

Given his needs and apparent price range, I'd get the TL over the MazdaSpeed 6 but I too would probably get the TSX over both.

I test drove the TSX and TL back to back a while ago, and I don't recall the TL being that much bigger.  In fact, I liked that the rear seats fold down in the TSX, they don't fold down in the TL.

He could probably get a brand new TSX w/ Nav for not much more than the prices you discussed ($28-$29k maybe).

The only real advantage the TL has over the TSX is the V6.  The TSX is really a tremendous value for the money if you want a mid-sized, reliable four door w/ great luxury options (blue tooth, ipod input and all kinds of shit like that is standard) and don't care that much about flash or performance.

ifcar

I agree with the sentiment that he needs to drive both the TL and TSX. TSX is cheaper, more fuel-efficient, no less roomy, and has a nicer manual.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: BMWDave on June 22, 2007, 01:12:39 PM
My friend (the one with the '99 TL that has nearly 300,000 miles)...

...He's looking at either a CPO TL (must have navigation),

If you were in this situation, what would you do??

Well, if I didn't know where I was going after going there for 300,000 miles, I'd be just about ready to give up!

;)
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Rich

Quote from: Soup DeVille on June 22, 2007, 08:46:34 PM
Well, if I didn't know where I was going after going there for 300,000 miles, I'd be just about ready to give up!

;)

:lol:

2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

hounddog

Quote from: Soup DeVille on June 22, 2007, 08:46:34 PM

;)
Now thats funny!
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

hounddog

Quote from: BMWDave on June 22, 2007, 02:24:42 PM
You're absolutely correct.? I had thought it wasn't an option.? However, the car on the lot didn't have a nav, and my friend would like to deal with them since he bought the Miata from them.? Perhaps he could ask them to order the car from another dealer.
Why not just order a car from the maker?  The best deals I have ever gotten were factory orders, and you get the car equipped exactly the way you want.  Plus, no chance of lot-rot.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

cawimmer430

If he drives a lot, then he needs a diesel if he cares about fuel economy and eventually saving a lot of money on fuel. I think a VW diesel would be an interesting choice. I'd also recommend an E320 CDI but your friend sounds like someone who likes manuals and wants something cheaper. So what does he think about a Jetta TDI for example?
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Raza

Quote from: ifcar on June 22, 2007, 08:23:37 PM
I agree with the sentiment that he needs to drive both the TL and TSX. TSX is cheaper, more fuel-efficient, no less roomy, and has a nicer manual.

That's correct on all accounts.  And I also prefer the looks of the TSX, but that's neither here nor there.  And the TSX is plenty quick enough.  The TL's engine is not worth the extra money in this application.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Sir_CARzy

Why restrict yourself because of nav? Through my experiences car navs are a complete rip-off.... they're very glitchy and you can get a much better system, much cheaper from companies like Garmin - AND you can use those in all your cars. Also, custom order the car.... if he doesn't mind waiting (sounds like he has multiple cars, so shouldn't be a biggie), you're spending all that money - i know i'd want what I'd like.