My sister needs a car...

Started by TheIntrepid, June 28, 2007, 11:25:13 AM

TheIntrepid

My sister's '99 Camry CE, formerly mine, is approaching 250,000 km and since it's been driven hard by my mom, then me, then my cousin, and now my sister, the transmission's on its way out.

Pics for reference:

We're looking to replace it with a more reliable 4-door, import sedan newer than MY 2000 for about $6-7000 CAD. We're willing to spend more if it will get us a superior car. This thing should be able to last her another 4-5 years minimum, and have an automatic transmission. It doesn't matter how slow or boring it is, as the fastest thing she's ever driven is her former '94 Camry LE V6, which is now with my cousin.

These are the choices I've jotted down so far:

-00-03 Jetta
-00-03 Corolla

Please no Honda models.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

heelntoe

@heelntoe

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: NACar on June 28, 2007, 11:25:27 AM
:clap: I applaud you and your family for considering a car besides a Camry.

VW TDI FTW.
Or a Miata.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

TheIntrepid

Thanks for the suggestion, Nick. A Miata is not a 4-door sedan, and insurance rates would be high for her, as a 16-year old female driver with 1 accident claim.

Tave

As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

ifcar

A seven-year-old Jetta is not a good choice for "boring but reliable." It's an upscale and moderately fun car with the tradeoff of reliability.

Corolla, Echo, Elantra, and Protege are the basic choices after the various unexplained exclusions are factored in. She should just drive them and pick a favorite.

Laconian

Why do you keep pasting pictures of Camry dashes? They're more depressing than the rainy weather!! :cry: :lol:

I would pick a used last-gen Sonata, since the exterior dimensions and power should be familiar to her after driving the Camry. Some people freak out when they ride in a car they feel is too small.

And FYI, Miata insurance is cheap cheap cheap!
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

TheIntrepid

Quote from: ifcar on June 28, 2007, 11:36:29 AM
A seven-year-old Jetta is not a good choice for "boring but reliable." It's an upscale and moderately fun car with the tradeoff of reliability.

Corolla, Echo, Elantra, and Protege are the basic choices after the various unexplained exclusions are factored in. She should just drive them and pick a favorite.

I always thought that TDIs were known for being reliable, contrary to the VW petrol engines.

Corolla and Protege are good suggestions. The Echo is horribly ugly, and she won't drive a "Hyundai". My sister, isn't she? ;)

ifcar

It's not the engines that are VWs' biggest problem, it's the electrical systems. The engine may well keep going for hundreds of thousands of miles, but the rest of the car won't go with it.

Are those your concerns about the other cars, or your sister's?

FlatBlackCaddy

The TDI's are better than the 1.8t from what i hear.

Buy your looking for a reliable car for her to use for the next 5 years.....

A 01 jetta with 266K on doesn't fit anywhere into that criteria.

While the motor is solid, the cars in general have issues as well.

TheIntrepid

Quote from: ifcar on June 28, 2007, 12:07:54 PM
It's not the engines that are VWs' biggest problem, it's the electrical systems. The engine may well keep going for hundreds of thousands of miles, but the rest of the car won't go with it.

Are those your concerns about the other cars, or your sister's?

Her concerns. Actually, everyone in the family dislikes the Echo. Personally I wouldn't mind an Elantra GT (last-gen).

ro51092

Quote from: TheIntrepid on June 28, 2007, 12:05:35 PM
I always thought that TDIs were known for being reliable, contrary to the VW petrol engines.

Corolla and Protege are good suggestions. The Echo is horribly ugly, and she won't drive a "Hyundai". My sister, isn't she? ;)

Son, get your facts straight. Engines aren't VW's problem, electrics are.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: TheIntrepid on June 28, 2007, 11:32:36 AM
Thanks for the suggestion, Nick. A Miata is not a 4-door sedan, and insurance rates would be high for her, as a 16-year old female driver with 1 accident claim.

smart ass    :evildude:

How about a Buick Centruy, those have incredibly low insurance rates, are reliable, and are even classier than a Camry.

:praise:

nickdrinkwater

If you don't fancy the Jetta how about another Camry?  It seems to fit the bill.

SJ_GTI

I like VW's, but I wouldn't ever reccomend a used VW with 266k kms on the clock (even if it is diesel). As others have said, even if the engine is perfectly fine to run into infinity, the rest of the car is going to have the same problems as any other car.

Nowadays, car engines usually aren;t much of an issue (if they have been properly taken care of). Before he crashed it, my other brother was driving a 1989 Oldsmobile Toronado with well over 200k miles (about 320k kms) on the odometer and the one thing that was fine on that car was the engine.

AKL

I'd suggest a used Elantra, Corolla, Protege?

The Elantra will be the cheapest of the three. You can get a 2004 Elantra for a VERY cheap price. Used Civics and Protege's are still relatively pricey. I haven't really checked the Corolla's price, but considering its a Toyota i'd assume its pricey to.

The Elantra will be my choice really. But since your sister is against Hyundai's  :huh:
---------------------
05 Accord EX V6/  07 Santa Fe 3.3 GL
---------------------

Laconian

I don't understand how one can be picky about brands when trawling the bottom of the barrel. It's not like you're buying a status symbol or anything. If a car's good, it's good, end of story.

J86

Quote from: Laconian on June 28, 2007, 04:35:52 PM
I don't understand how one can be picky about brands when trawling the bottom of the barrel. It's not like you're buying a status symbol or anything. If a car's good, it's good, end of story.

a-yup

Eye of the Tiger

I would drive one. Seriously.

TheIntrepid

http://toronto.craigslist.org/car/359496825.html

2002 Intrepid SE

Automatic, 4 dr., 2.7 litre 6 cyl. burgandy exterior, charcoal black interior, Power Windows, Bucket Seats, Power Seats, Air Conditioning, AM-FM radio, almost new tires exceptonaly well maintained fast but great on gas. Just certified and E tested. I bought this car for my daugther for University but she is going to live on campus instead of commuting
$ 6750.00 only 99,000 km

Laconian

But the 2.7 is ass, right?

Sell her your car :)

TheIntrepid

Yeah, the 2.7 is dismally slow. I won't drive one if you paid me to. No foglights either, so the entire front end looks like ass.

SE

ES

A riced out ES, but you get the point.

The Pirate

Why no Honda?  FWIW, they certainly can be overpriced on the used market, and better deals are to be found elsewhere, but it'd be a very solid buy for the right price.

Nissan Altima?
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: TheIntrepid on June 28, 2007, 05:08:45 PM
Yeah, the 2.7 is dismally slow. I won't drive one if you paid me to. No foglights either, so the entire front end looks like ass.

SE

ES

A riced out ES, but you get the point.

They both look like ass :evildude:

Actually, the black one is alright, but only because I like black.

NomisR

Corollas are the best cars ever!!  Get a Corolla!!  :rockon: :ohyeah: :lol:

ifcar

Quote from: TheIntrepid on June 28, 2007, 05:00:05 PM
http://toronto.craigslist.org/car/359496825.html

2002 Intrepid SE

Automatic, 4 dr., 2.7 litre 6 cyl. burgandy exterior, charcoal black interior, Power Windows, Bucket Seats, Power Seats, Air Conditioning, AM-FM radio, almost new tires exceptonaly well maintained fast but great on gas. Just certified and E tested. I bought this car for my daugther for University but she is going to live on campus instead of commuting
$ 6750.00 only 99,000 km

Does that mean that American cars are allowed after all?

And why get a large car if a Corolla is big enough?

Eye of the Tiger

American brands should be allowed, why not? Limiting your search to only "import" sedans is just blind stupidity.

The Pirate

NACar, my brother test drove a Buick Regal GS yesterday.  I hope he buys it.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: The Pirate on June 28, 2007, 05:49:53 PM
NACar, my brother test drove a Buick Regal GS yesterday.? I hope he buys it.

:rockon:

Raghavan

I'd suggest either a Focus or a Protege.