VW Tiguan Production Pictures

Started by TheIntrepid, June 28, 2007, 12:06:56 PM

TheIntrepid

[SIZE="4"]First pictures: Powerful appearance ? this is the new Tiguan[/SIZE]

Wolfsburg, 28 June 2007 - With the first pictures of the new Tiguan Volkswagen is starting the countdown for the debut of it?s 14th model series. The Sports Utility Vehicle ? SUV for short ? will be presented to the public for the first time in September as part of the International Motor Show (IAA in Frankfurt). A combination of power and elegance characterizes the design of the new Tiguan. It was conceived as a borderliner between the urban world and endless landscapes, between business and leisure time. The Tiguan is a multitalent with driving characteristics that are just as agile as they are comfortable, high utility value and groundbreaking technologies.

Like the Touareg, the second Volkswagen SUV also presents a self-confident design. Shaping the front of the new Tiguan are the sexy proportions that Volkswagen first introduced with the Concept A Study that garnered worldwide attention ? a crossover of a coupe and SUV. On the sides an elongated and powerfully modulated silhouette spans between the extended wheel arches with a ? typical Volkswagen ? unmistakable C-pillar. A very short overhang characterizes the steep rear end. Also significant are the front headlights and rear lights with matching shapes.

First facts on Tiguan engines: Volkswagen will offer the SUV ? and this for the first time worldwide ? exclusively with turbocharged direct injection engines. This ?high-performance turbocharging? significantly reduces fuel consumption and emissions, yet immensely increases dynamics and driving fun.

Overall there are three TSI and two TDI engines. Of these the completely new developments are the extremely quiet TDIs with common rail fuel injection. They achieve 103 kW / 140 hp and 125 kW / 170 hp and at 1,750 rpm already output 320 Nm or 350 Nm in four-wheel drive. Both TDIs already meet the limits of the Euro-5 standard first coming into effect in 2009.

Also getting to the point powerfully, economically and cleanly are the turbocharged direct injection gasoline engines in the performance levels 110 kW / 150 hp, 125 kW / 170 hp and 147 kW / 200 hp. New to the Volkswagen program are the 150 hp and 170 hp versions. A glance at the torque values makes one sense that the TSIs are very high torque. The 150-hp TSI already develops a self-assured 240 Nm (from 1,750 rpm). In the 170 hp and 200 hp performance range it is 280 Nm (from 1,800 rpm each).

?Tiguan Base? on the internet shows just how big the interest is in the new Tiguan. Visitors to www.tiguan-base.com can log in to the virtual world of the Tiguan. The development stages of the new SUV are presented in photos, films and facts. Within just 15 weeks ? and this is sensational ? more than one million people have made use of it worldwide. It looks as though the Tiguan is developing into an exciting chapter in the history of the automobile.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

ifcar

I see a bit of the Scion xD in the front end. Looks decent from 3/4 rear, but the proportions look a bit off in the other pictures. Maybe it will look better in person.

SJ_GTI

Looks very bland compared to the concept. It will fit right in with the other cute utes I guess. I was hoping VW would make it stand out a bit more.

ifcar

They only changed the wheels and the colors.

SJ_GTI

The grill and foglights are different.  :P

The color scheme makes a big difference I guess. Maybe they need to show some production spec pics in more interesting colors.

ifcar

The grille is the same, just black on the concept and body-colored on the production model.

omicron

How did I get into this thread? I was looking for nice Volkswagens, like GTIs and R32s and Passats, and instead I've stumbled across a Toyota mini-4WD thread. Confusion!

giant_mtb

They should name the high-performance version "Doe".

Tiguan Doe

:evildude:

TBR

I am anxiously waiting for the msrp and gas mileage specs for the diesel version (we had better be getting it or I will be needing Raza's shovel).

Raza

Quote from: ifcar on June 28, 2007, 12:09:40 PM
I see a bit of the Scion xD in the front end. Looks decent from 3/4 rear, but the proportions look a bit off in the other pictures. Maybe it will look better in person.

xD? 

I see a lot more Passat/Eos influence.

And I actually like it.  I wouldn't buy one, but I like it (again, another similarity to the Eos).
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

ifcar

Right, it's mostly VW family styling, but I see a bit of the Scion as well. Just a bit.

The headlights (though the details are different) and the roofline.

nickdrinkwater

They don't look anything alike IMHO.

Rich

The hood shitline reminds me of Saaaaaaaaab

:lol:

edit:

I meant shutline
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

heelntoe

Quote from: ifcar on June 29, 2007, 05:19:41 AM
Right, it's mostly VW family styling, but I see a bit of the Scion as well. Just a bit.

yeah, i see a small resemblance also.
@heelntoe

Raghavan

Colonel Cadillac

Panama_Chopster

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on June 29, 2007, 02:03:59 PM
A stick in an SUV!!

looks like someone would really like a trip down here.

this is a very odd angle to me.

And the interior has about as many AC vents as the last Pontiac Bonneville :nono:

Tave

Do the exterior photos look like renderings to anyone else? They look fakey to me. :huh:
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Galaxy

My first thought was also that it looks bland compared to the concept and I was somewhat surprised when ifcar posted the two side and side and the production version looks almost the same.

I think it is the headlight design that makes the difference on the concept.

This may be the xenon version. Who knows?

nickdrinkwater

The rear arches look more pronounced on the concept.

ifcar

I think it's just the angle on that picture.

mazda6er

Quote from: Galaxy on July 04, 2007, 04:45:19 AM
My first thought was also that it looks bland compared to the concept and I was somewhat surprised when ifcar posted the two side and side and the production version looks almost the same.

I think it is the headlight design that makes the difference on the concept.

This may be the xenon version. Who knows?
Hmmm. The headlight design actually does seem to make a difference. They're very BMW like, though, as they have a halo/eyebrow scheme working. That may be why they got switched?
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

Raza

If I were ever in the market for a small SUV, I would look at this first.

But I like the name Marrakesh better.

(More than likely I'd end up with a Forester XT.)
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

TheIntrepid

Quote from: mazda6er on July 04, 2007, 08:00:33 AM
Hmmm. The headlight design actually does seem to make a difference. They're very BMW like, though, as they have a halo/eyebrow scheme working. That may be why they got switched?

I'm sure that these lights will be available on the ricer market.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

cozmik

I don't like it. The proportions are all off. It looks too much like the jacked up Golf that it is.

2006 BMW 330xi. 6 Speed, Sport Package. Gone are the RFTs! Toyo Proxes 4 in their place

AltinD

I'm also net impressed, evenm tyhat I'd never look into this category/class of vehicles.

2016 KIA Sportage EX Plus, CRDI 2.0T diesel, 185 HP, AWD

pommes-t

I think that's a fine looking SUV that will surely find its buyers. Still it doesn't attract me at all, which has something to do with the fact that it's a SUV...

cawimmer430

Quote from: ifcar on June 29, 2007, 05:19:41 AM

The boring Tiguan looks way better than that Scion xD.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie