Official Press release: BMW 135i Coupe

Started by SJ_GTI, June 28, 2007, 12:36:31 PM

sportyaccordy

Quote from: ChrisV on July 02, 2007, 08:29:39 AM
I love this car, but like Madman said, it'd be better with a tuned 4 cyl than the over-the-top turbo 6. But man, for the price, it's silly. $40k+ for the top version? No thanks, no matter how well I think of the car itself. $20-25k for a decent example would be more in line with the car's entry level market under the 3 series. MAYBE $30k for the top one.

I'll get the similarly sized E36 M3 and save a ton of money.

I think the 128i is the better value. That magnesium 6 probably doesn't weigh much more than a turbo 4 would, and it sounds much better than any 4 could. The only benefits I see for introducing a 4 are obviously the ties to great BMWs of the past (N/A: E30 M3, turbo: 2002 turbo), fuel economy, market "accessibility" and an answer to the somewhat successful C230K hatchie. IMO the 135i will be like the SLK63... a novelty of sorts for people who can afford them, but in no way a serious driver's car with the overpowering of the chassis.

I really do wish they cleaned up the design to make it more like the 3-series. While I find the E92 a bit boring, I could never call it unattractive, like this seems to be. Again, I will have to see it either tuner'd out or in person to make an assessment... but it's not looking good right now.

SJ_GTI

I love this car, but like Madman said, it'd be better with a tuned 4 cyl than the over-the-top turbo 6. But man, for the price, it's silly. $40k+ for the top version? No thanks, no matter how well I think of the car itself. $20-25k for a decent example would be more in line with the car's entry level market under the 3 series. MAYBE $30k for the top one.

BMW has never been in the market of selling cars at mainstream prices. I am fairly certain the 2002 was very expensive in its day, as was the E36 M3.

Do you realize the 328i Coupe starts at 36k USD (incl destination)? The 335i coupe starts at 41.6k USD.

Do you know how much a Mazdaspeed3 costs? Or a GTI? Are you seriously expecting BMW to start pricing their cars equal to or below Mazda?  :confused:

My roundabout estimate is that the 128i will start around 30k USD, and the 135i will cost around 36k USD.

So congratulations that you are willing to save money and buy a 20 year old used car rather than a new BMW. Unfortunately for you, BMW is not in the market position of being a value leader. Perhaps you would be better off shopping at the Hyundai dealership.  :evildude:

Raza

Quote from: TheIntrepid on July 02, 2007, 08:14:29 AM
Personally I can understand that if I'm going to be buying a used beater, looks aren't important. However, if I'm buying a new car, one for $25K+, I don't want to end up with one that looks like ass.

:huh:

Didn't you just buy a Camry?

Too easy...
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SJ_GTI

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=9868.msg493269#msg493269 date=1183390185

Didn't you just buy a Camry?

Zing!

omicron

Oh, you are indeed correct. Any six-cylinder 1 series coup? wil be insanely expensive in Oz, and cheap for you Merry Cans. That said, a 118Ci or 120Ci (using BMW's discarded nomenclature) would be quite delightful - even a 120Cd.

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: sportyaccordy on July 02, 2007, 08:43:34 AM
I think the 128i is the better value. That magnesium 6 probably doesn't weigh much more than a turbo 4 would, and it sounds much better than any 4 could. The only benefits I see for introducing a 4 are obviously the ties to great BMWs of the past (N/A: E30 M3, turbo: 2002 turbo), fuel economy, market "accessibility" and an answer to the somewhat successful C230K hatchie. IMO the 135i will be like the SLK63... a novelty of sorts for people who can afford them, but in no way a serious driver's car with the overpowering of the chassis.

Why do you think a 335i would be an "overpowering of the chassis"? This chassis is most likely stiffer than an E46 3 series, which could handle 343 bhp very well, thank you. As a matter of fact, I think the 135i might be the most "serious driver's car" in the BMW lineup apart from the M cars and the Z4 variants (if that).
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

Raza

My friend with the E46 M3 is seriously thinking about a 135i.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

MexicoCityM3

Another interesting tidbit about the 135i:

The DSC function will still brake a rear wheel when deactivated if it is spinning faster than the other rear wheel, thus acting as an "electronic" LSD even when DSC is set to off.

This DSC function is new, and only available on the 135i coupe for now.

Thoughts?

I think this one will have to wait for a test drive to see if it feels "natural" enough. IMHO, sounds better than no LSD at all.
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

Hachee

OK, time for me to chime in here.

I think this car will be a monster hit.? If anyone else thinks otherwise, they're just wrong:)? I don't think this will hurt the BMW image one bit...well, perhaps it just reinforces what the company was a few years ago.? IMO, as the other models - 3's, 5's, etc. - have become more expensive, luxed-out and larger, a gap has been created at the bottom of the range, even here in the US where we tend not to want really small cars.? But there's no doubt that this car is really the spiritual successor to the early 3 Series cars (if not the 2002).? I just hope they offer enough versions that don't require every toy and luxury, and I'd like to see a diesel and smaller engined version as well.? I just hope the models they bring to the US have firm rides and steering, with a good amount of effort required.? We don't need any more luxury cars.

I like the current 3 Series Coupe, but it's not the car it used to be.? ?It's gotten very expensive, it's bigger, it's quieter, it's more luxurious, and I think appeals to an older driver - really like an old 6 Series car.? There's obviously a market for it, but now there's a market for the 1 Series below it.?

As for the looks - I like it all except the back, which pretty much goes for every single current BMW in the range.?  And I am not anti-hatchback, but I do think they made the right decision to create a 2 door coupe version, even if it's not as practical.  It just reinforces the old school BMW vibe that I'm getting from this car.

I'd like to see a price point of high 20s to high 30s, but I think the top models will go for more.? Between the coupe and the upcoming convertible, this will be big sellers.

Raza

Tony was talking about this earlier today.  Sounds like a low traction thing, not a performance thing.  I don't see how it will help that much.  I'd rather have it not there, and then the option of installing an LSD myself.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Quote from: Hachee on July 02, 2007, 12:36:22 PM
OK, time for me to chime in here.

I think this car will be a monster hit.? If anyone else thinks otherwise, they're just wrong:)? I don't think this will hurt the BMW image one bit...well, perhaps it just reinforces what the company was a few years ago.? IMO, as the other models - 3's, 5's, etc. - have become more expensive, luxed-out and larger, a gap has been created at the bottom of the range, even here in the US where we tend not to want really small cars.? But there's no doubt that this car is really the spiritual successor to the early 3 Series cars (if not the 2002).? I just hope they offer enough versions that don't require every toy and luxury, and I'd like to see a diesel and smaller engined version as well.? I just hope the models they bring to the US have firm rides and steering, with a good amount of effort required.? We don't need any more luxury cars.

I like the current 3 Series Coupe, but it's not the car it used to be.? ?It's gotten very expensive, it's bigger, it's quieter, it's more luxurious, and I think appeals to an older driver - really like an old 6 Series car.? There's obviously a market for it, but now there's a market for the 1 Series below it.?

As for the looks - I like it all except the back, which pretty much goes for every single current BMW in the range.?? And I am not anti-hatchback, but I do think they made the right decision to create a 2 door coupe version, even if it's not as practical.? It just reinforces the old school BMW vibe that I'm getting from this car.

I'd like to see a price point of high 20s to high 30s, but I think the top models will go for more.? Between the coupe and the upcoming convertible, this will be big sellers.

Welcome to the forums, man.  I agree; this is a return to form for BMW.  It's the car that may lure disgruntled former mans, like me, back to the brand.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

LonghornTX

Those that think the 135i will not be the drivers car of the lineup should consider that BMW sure is positioning it as such.  Remember, M-aero kit (with what look like front brake cooling ducts), 6-piston brakes, the most performance oriented traction control system available for the model, and the most aggressive suspension as standard.  Plus, I am sure there might be some things we don't even know yet considering the severe lack of info that we have.  While the N52 equipped models will be lighter, the N54 will sport a much more serious brake setup and be much faster in a straight line.  Plus, with everyone talking about nose heavy this, nose heavy that, remember that BMW makes all their cars within a couple 1/10s of a % to 50/50 weight distribution....

Oh yea, I put myself in line (I am the first  :lol:) today at the dealer after driving an E90 335i 6mt sport.  That car was simply incredible, I can only imagine what 200-300 pounds lighter feels like.....
Difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week.

Raghavan

r0tor

seeing the 335 gets about the same gas mileage as the 328i and they both use premium, i don't see a whole lot of reasons to choose the non turbo engine...
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Raza

Quote from: r0tor on July 02, 2007, 06:01:35 PM
seeing the 335 gets about the same gas mileage as the 328i and they both use premium, i don't see a whole lot of reasons to choose the non turbo engine...

The 135i has too much power.  Hell, the 128i pretty much has too much power as well.  I'd rather have a 123i or 125i.  Cars are too powerful nowadays.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=9868.msg493567#msg493567 date=1183422043
The 135i has too much power.? Hell, the 128i pretty much has too much power as well.? I'd rather have a 123i or 125i.? Cars are too powerful nowadays.

WTF are you talking about.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: NACar on July 02, 2007, 06:23:52 PM
WTF are you talking about.

About driving to the limits of a car (having fun in the process) without risking killing yourself.
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=9868.msg493567#msg493567 date=1183422043
The 135i has too much power.? Hell, the 128i pretty much has too much power as well.? I'd rather have a 123i or 125i.? Cars are too powerful nowadays.

We'll get the 125i in Mexico.
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

Raza

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on July 02, 2007, 06:25:04 PM
About driving to the limits of a car (having fun in the process) without risking killing yourself.

Exactly. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on July 02, 2007, 06:25:35 PM
We'll get the 125i in Mexico.

How can I smuggle one up here?  Can I get leather and manual seats down there?  Do you get the 3 door? 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on July 02, 2007, 06:25:04 PM

That's all fine and dandy, but how 300hp is too much power? I would believe 700, but not 300.

Raza

Quote from: NACar on July 02, 2007, 06:33:44 PM
That's all fine and dandy, but how 300hp is too much power? I would believe 700, but not 300.

I drive a 2900 pound, 300bhp car. 

If you think you can reach those limits on the road without breaking major laws and putting your life in danger (and I mean because of other people; I don't mean that you or I couldn't handle it) you're sadly mistaken.  The limits on today's cars are too high.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=9868.msg493588#msg493588 date=1183422997
I drive a 2900 pound, 300bhp car.?

If you think you can reach those limits on the road without breaking major laws and putting your life in danger (and I mean because of other people; I don't mean that you or I couldn't handle it) you're sadly mistaken.? The limits on today's cars are too high.

I don't care if other people can handle it or not, as long as the car can handle it.

Raza

Quote from: NACar on July 02, 2007, 06:43:40 PM
I don't care if other people can handle it or not, as long as the car can handle it.

Yeah; when you're drifting at 100mph and some guy in a Corolla jumps out in front of you...

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=9868.msg493604#msg493604 date=1183423733
Yeah; when you're drifting at 100mph and some guy in a Corolla jumps out in front of you...

That's why all new cars have at least 20 air bags.

Raza

Quote from: NACar on July 02, 2007, 06:50:32 PM
That's why all new cars have at least 20 air bags.

You saw those kids get liquified in that 335i...

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=9868.msg493606#msg493606 date=1183423876
You saw those kids get liquified in that 335i...

Nope, but like you said, they were just kids.

Raza

Quote from: NACar on July 02, 2007, 06:52:03 PM
Nope, but like you said, they were just kids.

They were about our age...

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=9868.msg493610#msg493610 date=1183424187
They were about our age...

But they got liquified, and I am not liquified.

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i