Driving Impressions (part 2): Volvo S40, Acura TSX

Started by Vinsanity, July 03, 2007, 02:52:15 PM

Vinsanity

I'm not sure if this belongs here or in Luxury Talk, so mods, feel free to move as you wish

So yesterday I decided to try out a couple more cars for a spin. These are no Hemi Charger or Lancer Evo, but still worth posting about.

First up was the Volvo. I was always curious about this car, since I don't usually associate Volvo with smaller size cars such as this. My first impression was that the car felt like Volvo engineered a good dose of tank-like sturdyness into a small car package. The car has a good amount of room for its size, but it's the weighty steering and large driver's seat that mainly what gave that impression. The car carries itself nicely through winding hilly turns, but the real highlight of this car is the turbo engine. Getting on boost is a real hoot. I'm starting to become a real fan of turbos; why wait for VTEC when you have a nifty little pressurized-air device that gets the job done sooner? :rockon: The engine even sounds nice and beefy. It's definitely a nice surprise for anyone expecting nothing more than a sensible little family sedan. This car is like a responsible older brother who still knows how to participate in horseplay and shenanigans when noone's looking ;)

Next up was the Acura. My first impression was that the interior looks much nicer to me in person than in pictures. It's definitely a nice place to spend time during a long commute. On the road, I was pleased to find out that the steering weight and feedback were quite similar to that of my S2000. Pretty cool. I really want to praise the car's handling, but alas, the complaints you've been hearing about the stock Michelins they chose to equip on this car is true; the tires only want to do about 7/10ths of what the car feels like it can do. Squealing the tires through a decreasing-radius turn, the salesman remarked to me that this is no S2000 :( Boo. It's a shame, because the car feels like it would be a superb handler otherwise. Honda fans love to rave about the TSX's K24 engine, and while I found that it pulls nicely for a 4-cylinder from the midrange on up, I wasn't nearly as impressed as I was with Volvo's turbo motor. Especially considering they have similar HP figures. The TSX is a nice car, but it's hard to choose one against competing cars like the Volvo, or even V6-powered beasts like the 270-hp Altima :devil:

While these cars don't leave me longing for another drive like the Evo or Charger, they are offered at considerably lower sticker prices, and at this point in my life, the extra money in my pocket will go a long way. These cars are definitely good enough that I won't regret spending the extra thousands for something with more attitude. Watching summertime reality shows is enough attitude for me. Matter of fact, I might look even further downmarket next time I go out for a test drive :mask:

Vinsanity

I forgot to snap pics with my camera phone, but here are the pics from the autotrader listings:

SJ_GTI

The Acura TSX also has a very soft suspension. It's probably great for commutes, but the body roll can be annoying.

Vinsanity

I didn't think there was that much body roll in either car :huh:

maybe I just expect sedans to have some degree of body roll, I guess

Raza

If I were to go back to 2004 and drive the TSX and the Passat again, I would still buy the Passat. 

Just my opinion.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

rohan

I'm losing it- where is the post about the charger and evo?
http://outdooradventuresrevived.blogspot.com/

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle

Vinsanity

cawimmer430

Always bring a camera with you.  :devil:

Nice reviews.  :ohyeah:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

SJ_GTI

Quote from: Vinsanity on July 03, 2007, 04:37:23 PM
I didn't think there was that much body roll in either car :huh:

maybe I just expect sedans to have some degree of body roll, I guess

My mom bought it about the same time I got my A4, and comparatively the A4 had much better body control. And as far as sport sdans go I've seen the A4 routinely criticized as well.

My GTI is way stiffer of course, so I guess keep that in mind (everything is relative). In any event I am sure some aftermarket springs and shocks would make the TSX a fantastic handler, its chassis certainly has the basics down.