Tundra Sales up 137% vs. June '06, outsells GMC Sierra

Started by GoCougs, July 05, 2007, 10:29:34 AM

JWC

The Tundra was introduced in what month of 2006? 

Tundra: 21,727
Up 137% vs. June '06

Tave

Quote from: saxonyron on July 05, 2007, 09:26:06 PM
Ugh!? I was woefully unimpressed by the new Tundra when I saw it at the GTG at the NY Auto Show.? Maybe the stats are OK, but the overall look and build of the truck left me flat.? I own 6 trucks in my business - 2 F150's and 4 E150's.? They are work horses and can take the punishment of the job and my guys.? I seriously doubt the Tundra door hardware would last 6 months in real world use.? The cheesy exterior trim pieces and pathetic hardware maybe don't help tow 9,000 pounds, but they sure make or break and ownership experience.? I really expected better from Toyota.? Maybe they'll really deliver it next go around - imagine what their sales numbers will be then??? :mask:

Oh please. The only reason we haven't bought any for work is expense and space. I bet they hold up to an equal amount of beating as GM/Ford/Dodge (who, by the way, have all had issues with various interior trim bits falling off in our trucks).
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

USA_Idol

Bland, boxy.? Not particularly appealing.

Attractive even in the base XL form, this is my "best design" winner for the full-size truck class.? ?:lol:

Even worse than the Chevy, I might even go so far as to call the cabin ugly.

I am not a huge fan of Nissan's interior design language (trucks, SUV's, minivans), and the Titan is no exception.

Nice driver area definition.? It is not as generic as the Chevy, but not quite as elegantly stylish as the Ford.

My 2-cents on the Big Guys.

CJ

I think the Chevy and Nissan interiors look the best.  The Ram and the Tundra look the worst.  The Ford is...okay.

sandertheshark

All I see in these numbers is that the old Tundra was a very sorry excuse for a truck, the GMT 800 kicked ass and that GM was offering employee discounts to all last June.

TBR

I disagree about the Tundra being a sorry excuse for a truck. It was a sorry excuse for a full size truck, but for people who wanted a truck a bit smaller it was a good choice. I would agree that in the beginning the engines were weak, but towards the end the V6 and small V8 had plenty of power.

TheIntrepid

Quote from: CJ on July 08, 2007, 06:23:55 PM
I think the Chevy and Nissan interiors look the best.  The Ram and the Tundra look the worst.  The Ford is...okay.

Exactly.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

Onslaught

Quote from: TBR on July 08, 2007, 10:49:44 PM
I disagree about the Tundra being a sorry excuse for a truck. It was a sorry excuse for a full size truck, but for people who wanted a truck a bit smaller it was a good choice. I would agree that in the beginning the engines were weak, but towards the end the V6 and small V8 had plenty of power.
+1

ifcar

Quote from: TBR on July 08, 2007, 10:49:44 PM

I'd even go further than that, because the crew cab was actually bigger than many of its competitors. It failed the numbers test, yes, but not by so much that it came close to being underpowered or unusable for most towing applications.

SagRacer

I really liked the old Tundra too - A perfect sized truck IMO - Better than this new Tundra's "I'm trying really hard to be tough" styling.  However, with average incentives of over $5,000, the new Tundra is starting to look attractive.  Maybe they will roll back the incentives now that it is finally selling?  $5,000 is crazy for a vehicle that was just introduced a few months ago.  Toyota can afford it though, so why not?

I might be in the market for a new pickup in a few months.  If Toyota continues this fire-sale the Tundra could be on the top of my list.  However, If the Tundra is the same price as the Silverado, I would have to give the nod to the Chevy due to a nicer interior, ride, handling, general comfort, and styling(IMO).  The Tundra specs look great on paper, but they just don't translate into an enjoyable driving experience. 

the_koof

With huge incentives on a brand new truck there is no wonder that the Tundra sells. Its a crappy truck with questionable engineering (I am not buying the "TripleTech" frame thing among other things) and from driving it I was woefully unimpressed. Sure it had power (5.7) but the ride sucked, didn't feel that solid and I hated the interior. Drove decently.

After driving all of the new half tons (driven the new Chevy/Dodge 3/4s and Ford 1 tons too but thats for a different discussion), I'd rank them as follows:

1. Chevrolet - Very VERY impressed.  Like everything about it. I'd buy the GMC though as it looks better. Only thing that would make it better is a 6-speed.
2. Nissan - Its a very good truck. Drive one sometime. May be a bit biased as my dad has one and I drive it often ('05, 56k miles)
3. Ford - Very solid offering. Just needs more power and two more gears. They don't sell like mad for no reason.
4. Dodge - Pretty good. Hemi power is quite good.

24. Mitsubishi Mighty Max
25. Volkswagen Rabbit pickup
26. Toyota Tundra
"If you only work on the days you feel good, you won't get much done in your life."

TBR

The F-150 is getting a small facelift for '08, maybe it is getting the 6AT then (which really helped the Expeditions performance and fuel economy), does anyone know?

the_koof

It going to be more than a face lift. New much more powerful engines including a diesel (WOOT!!!), 6-speed autos finally among other upgrades. Should be mighty impressive. The 6-speed auto will go into the GMT-900s too at last.
"If you only work on the days you feel good, you won't get much done in your life."

ifcar

Quote from: TBR on July 16, 2007, 10:41:16 PM
The F-150 is getting a small facelift for '08, maybe it is getting the 6AT then (which really helped the Expeditions performance and fuel economy), does anyone know?

It's being redesigned for 2009, but AFAIK the 2008 is unchanged.

SVT666

Quote from: the_koof on July 16, 2007, 06:15:52 PM
24. Mitsubishi Mighty Max
25. Volkswagen Rabbit pickup
26. Toyota Tundra
:lol:

I like this guy already.

Raza

Quote from: 93JC on July 05, 2007, 09:47:23 PM
I have a potty mouth!

:nono:

Sales prove that the Toyota Tundra is the best truck ever made to be used by human beings who use trucks in a manner that is much like that as a standardized four door automobile that is often used in a manner befitting those who would make, own, and love the Toyota Tundra.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Tave

Quote from: USA_Idol on July 08, 2007, 02:48:06 AM
Even worse than the Chevy, I might even go so far as to call the cabin ugly.

Maybe so, but its the only interior you posted I'd consider functional for an actual work truck. Maybe, just m-a-y-b-e the Chevy as well.

As far as I can tell, the Dodge's interior hasn't changed much over previous models. Perhaps it's not truely ugly, just dated.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

TBR

Quote from: ifcar on July 17, 2007, 03:50:29 AM
It's being redesigned for 2009, but AFAIK the 2008 is unchanged.

I could've sworn I saw something on autoblog, but now the only thing I can find about the '08 F-150 is about the new Lariat Limited trim.

SVT666

Quote from: Tave on July 17, 2007, 02:21:25 PM
Maybe so, but its the only interior you posted I'd consider functional for an actual work truck. Maybe, just m-a-y-b-e the Chevy as well.

As far as I can tell, the Dodge's interior hasn't changed much over previous models. Perhaps it's not truely ugly, just dated.
The center stack was redesigned in the new Dodge and I prefer the previous one compared to this one.

2002  (The 2005 has the same steering wheel as the 2007.  It has the best and most intuitive cruise control and stereo controls I've ever used)

SVT666

Quote from: Tave on July 17, 2007, 02:21:25 PM

If you ever used a Dodge as a work truck you would change your opinion.  In Car & Driver's latest comparo and in the Canadian Tough Truck Challenge, the Ram was given the top marks for interior useability, functionality, and flexibility when work and tools are concerned.  There's a reason they are so popular with construction sites and farms.

GoCougs

Quote from: HEMI666 on July 17, 2007, 02:47:06 PM
If you ever used a Dodge as a work truck you would change your opinion.? In Car & Driver's latest comparo and in the Canadian Tough Truck Challenge, the Ram was given the top marks for interior useability, functionality, and flexibility when work and tools are concerned.? There's a reason they are so popular with construction sites and farms.

I think you're getting a bit carried away if you are actually stating that farmers and construction workers prefer the Ram because of its interior.

Eye of the Tiger

The Ram interiors are actually the worst I've ever been in. As for the rest of the truck, I have no opinion.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on July 17, 2007, 02:53:59 PM
I think you're getting a bit carried away if you are actually stating that farmers and construction workers prefer the Ram because of its interior.
I think you're insane if you say it has no bearing.

Tave

Quote from: HEMI666 on July 17, 2007, 02:47:06 PM
If you ever used a Dodge as a work truck you would change your opinion.? In Car & Driver's latest comparo and in the Canadian Tough Truck Challenge, the Ram was given the top marks for interior useability, functionality, and flexibility when work and tools are concerned.? There's a reason they are so popular with construction sites and farms.

Jesus man, you need to re-read what I wrote. I said Dodge has the only interior I'd consider suitable for a work truck. We have 3 in the garage, and another probably on its way.

CMan

Quote from: NACar on July 17, 2007, 02:56:58 PM
The Ram interiors are actually the worst I've ever been in.

+1.

And that picture Hemi posted, the first one; my god, that looks horrible.
Quote from: Morris Minor on September 26, 2008, 08:43:28 AM
I'm going to buy a tube radio so we can huddle round it and, by the light of a single candle, listen to President Obama's fireside chats.

SVT666

:mask:

I thought you were referring to the Chevy that was mentioned in the quote in your post.  Sorry man.

Tave

Quote from: HEMI666 on July 17, 2007, 03:16:01 PM
:mask:

I thought you were referring to the Chevy that was mentioned in the quote in your post.? Sorry man.

No. If I had to pick any of those interiors to put into a work truck, the Ram would top my list, and the Chevy would be a distant second.

That's what I was trying to say; I know it came out a little funny.

SVT666

Quote from: Tave on July 17, 2007, 03:17:48 PM
No. If I had to pick any of those interiors to put into a work truck, the Ram would top my list, and the Chevy would be a distant second.

That's what I was trying to say; I know it came out a little funny.
The new interior is actually kinda ugly, but it's the most functional for a work truck.  The interior in my 2005 truck is actually nice and easy on the eyes, and just as functional as the new kinda ugly one.

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)