Tundra Sales up 137% vs. June '06, outsells GMC Sierra

Started by GoCougs, July 05, 2007, 10:29:34 AM

Tave

As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

the_koof

Quote from: TBR on July 17, 2007, 02:23:17 PM
I could've sworn I saw something on autoblog, but now the only thing I can find about the '08 F-150 is about the new Lariat Limited trim.

I stand corrected. I think they said it was going to be released in '08 as an '09.
"If you only work on the days you feel good, you won't get much done in your life."

GoCougs

July '07: Tundra sells 23,150 units, up 118% vs. July '06, and up 10% from June '07.

ro51092

Quote from: Raza  on July 17, 2007, 01:50:16 PM
:nono:

Sales prove that the Toyota Tundra is the best truck ever made to be used by human beings who use trucks in a manner that is much like that as a standardized four door automobile that is often used in a manner befitting those who would make, own, and love the Toyota Tundra.

Is this reported by the Sweisskagg Institute of Automotive Excellence? Sister of the The Derek Zoolander Center For Kids Who Can't Read Good And Wanna Learn To Do Other Stuff Good Too?

S204STi

Quote from: ro51092 on August 02, 2007, 01:49:22 PM
Is this reported by the Sweisskagg Institute of Automotive Excellence? Sister of the The Derek Zoolander Center For Kids Who Can't Read Good And Wanna Learn To Do Other Stuff Good Too?

:lol:

Anyway, the only thing that matters is the trend over the next two years, because the old truck was so woefully underselling that they will naturally have a huge swing in sales.  What happens in July of 2008 is more significant.

VetteZ06

August '07: Tundra sells 18,919 units, up 69.3% from August of 2006.

Sierra sells 23,574 units, up 34.2% from August of 2006.

S204STi

Quote from: VetteZ06 on September 04, 2007, 03:23:52 PM
August '07: Tundra sells 18,919 units, up 69.3% from August of 2006.

Sierra sells 23,574 units, up 34.2% from August of 2006.

Wow, relatively close.  What are the Silverado's numbers?  I assume it sells many more units than the Sierra.

Atomic

Quote from: Submariner on July 05, 2007, 06:25:43 PM
Well, I guess it wouldn't be too unfair to lump the GMC with the Chevy, seeing as they are basicly identical.

And look how close the tundra comes to out selling those two!

there was talk at general motors of eliminating gmc's large pick-up; and at one point, gmc altogether. goes gm really need two competing trucks (plus cadillac)? you are so right. there's very little difference, as you point out!

VetteZ06

Quote from: R-inge on September 04, 2007, 06:16:21 PM
Wow, relatively close.? What are the Silverado's numbers?? I assume it sells many more units than the Sierra.

The Silverado sold 67,486 units last month, so it roughy tripled the Sierra's sales.

S204STi

Quote from: Atomic on September 04, 2007, 07:02:23 PM
there was talk at general motors of eliminating gmc's large pick-up; and at one point, gmc altogether. goes gm really need two competing trucks (plus cadillac)? you are so right. there's very little difference, as you point out!

I don't necessarily see the need for a 1/2ton GMC pickup, but it would make sense to keep the workhorse trucks around.  Of course, that would suck for me...

TBR

I see a need for a 1/2 ton GMC: the Silverado's styling.

sandertheshark

Quote from: TBR on September 04, 2007, 10:23:51 PM
yeah.  I think the Sierra is the best-looking truck out there.  I'd hate to see it go.

It should be obvious even to Atomic that 19,000 less GMCs sold won't necessarily mean 19,000 more Chevrolets.

The Pirate

I'm sure they are nice packages, but I still can't warm up to the styling of the new GM trucks. 

I'll take a GMT800 Sierra 2500 any day, though.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

SJ_GTI

I have an uncle that owns a construction company, another uncle that owns an excavating company, and two uncles with landscaping companies. 3 out of the four use GMC trucks in one form or another. GMC is very good at selling to the commercial market from what I can tell.

There is a GMC dealer a couple of miles from my parents house that specializes in HD GMC trucks, but also sells the half-ton. I'd imagine the bigger construction companies (all of my families business are small, between 4-10 employees each) would prefer to buy their HD trucks and half-tons in the same place.

Now granted, Chevy sells to the same market...but for whatever reason some people prefer GMC's. If GM left that market its they are going to lose a singificant portion of their business to Ford and/or Dodge. GMC is "easy money" for GM I bet.

Atomic

Quote from: CJ on July 08, 2007, 06:23:55 PM
I think the Chevy and Nissan interiors look the best.? The Ram and the Tundra look the worst.? The Ford is...okay.

i think i like the nissan best. the gmc interior is finally different then that in the chevrolet. i prefer the gmc, but like the tundra over the chevy. the 2008 ford f-series is an enormous improvement over past fmc trucks. dodge's interior is nice, but dated. one would expect that for a vehicle about to be replaced with a new model.

again, it's about personal choice.

the f-series wouldn't be as nice without the stiff competition.

TBR

Quote from: Atomic on September 06, 2007, 05:59:22 PM
the gmc interior is finally different then that in the chevrolet.

No it isn't, other than the wood trim in the Denali model.

S204STi

Quote from: TBR on September 04, 2007, 10:23:51 PM

Very true.  The Silverado doesn't do it for me either.

SVT666

Quote from: The Pirate on September 04, 2007, 10:53:06 PM
I'm sure they are nice packages, but I still can't warm up to the styling of the new GM trucks. 
The styling looks awkward.  I thought that I might warm to the Chevy the more I see it, but I'm not.  With the massive blocky fender flares and the biggest bumper this side of a Peterbilt, the trucks just don't look good.  The Sierra is much better, but I still don't like it as much as the Dodge or the Ford.  I know this will shock some of you, but I'm really starting to like the Tundra's exterior.  The interior still looks like shit, but I'm really warming to the exterior.  If I had to rank the full-size pickups by styling it would be in this order:

1. Dodge Ram
2. Ford Super-Duty
3. Toyota Tundra
4. Ford F-150
5. GMC Sierra
6. Nissan Titan
7. Chevy Silverado

ifcar

Quote from: HEMI666 on September 11, 2007, 11:04:37 AM
The styling looks awkward.  I thought that I might warm to the Chevy the more I see it, but I'm not.  With the massive blocky fender flares and the biggest bumper this side of a Peterbilt, the trucks just don't look good.  The Sierra is much better, but I still don't like it as much as the Dodge or the Ford.  I know this will shock some of you, but I'm really starting to like the Tundra's exterior.  The interior still looks like shit, but I'm really warming to the exterior.  If I had to rank the full-size pickups by styling it would be in this order:

1. Dodge Ram
2. Ford Super-Duty
3. Toyota Tundra
4. Ford F-150
5. GMC Sierra
6. Nissan Titan
7. Chevy Silverado

Your top two would have been up near the top of my list as well, except that both were recently uglified. I'd order them as such (exterior styling only):

1. F-150
2. Sierra
3. Silverado
4. Ram
5. Titan
6. Tundra
7. F-250/350

SVT666

Quote from: ifcar on September 11, 2007, 11:15:09 AM
Your top two would have been up near the top of my list as well, except that both were recently uglified. I'd order them as such (exterior styling only):

1. F-150
2. Sierra
3. Silverado
4. Ram
5. Titan
6. Tundra
7. F-250/350
I can't believe you would put the Silverado that high up.  Oh well, there's no accounting for taste I guess.

ifcar

Quote from: HEMI666 on September 11, 2007, 11:16:54 AM
I can't believe you would put the Silverado that high up.  Oh well, there's no accounting for taste I guess.

It's not that I think the Silverado is attractive, just that the others are even less attractive. IMO the Silverado only looks really awkward in pictures.

SVT666

Quote from: ifcar on September 11, 2007, 11:20:44 AM
It's not that I think the Silverado is attractive, just that the others are even less attractive. IMO the Silverado only looks really awkward in pictures.
I see them in person all the time and I just can't bring myself to like them.

ifcar

Likewise, I think the 08 F-SuperDuty is atrocious, particularly in its base versions.

SVT666

Quote from: ifcar on September 11, 2007, 11:25:51 AM
Likewise, I think the 08 F-SuperDuty is atrocious, particularly in its base versions.
Who buys the base version?  Even the landscaping contractors around here are driving XLT models.

ifcar

Quote from: HEMI666 on September 11, 2007, 11:38:35 AM
Who buys the base version?  Even the landscaping contractors around here are driving XLT models.

Which is still ugly.

SVT666

ifcar

Those headlights don't work on the Jeep Commander, and they don't work here. They're the biggest thing wrong with both designs.

SVT666

Quote from: ifcar on September 11, 2007, 12:00:40 PM
Those headlights don't work on the Jeep Commander, and they don't work here. They're the biggest thing wrong with both designs.
I didn't like them when I first saw them in pictures but once I saw it in person I thought it worked.

thewizard16

Quote from: ifcar on September 11, 2007, 11:42:42 AM
Which is still ugly.
I agree, sorry Hemi :lol:. I absolutely hate these trucks. One of my friends thinks they're great looking, which he loudly announced at the auto show, and everyone present looked at him as if he'd just contracted plague.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.