Tesla

Started by SJ_GTI, February 23, 2017, 07:11:02 AM

CaminoRacer

This whole Tesla/Bitcoin/Musk promoting Dogecoin is ridiculous.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Laconian

Quote from: CaminoRacer on February 08, 2021, 01:17:23 PM
This whole Tesla/Bitcoin/Musk promoting Dogecoin is ridiculous.

Tesla just pumped Bitcoin by buying one and a half billion dollars of it? :facepalm:
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

shp4man

$44K for one bitcoin? Holy crap.  I'm out.

Laconian

Quote from: shp4man on February 08, 2021, 01:37:03 PM
$44K for one bitcoin? Holy crap.  I'm out.

The valuation is totally fake.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Laconian on February 08, 2021, 02:16:53 PM
The valuation is totally fake.

My dad is super pissed at me. I counseled him against accepting bitcoin for a vehicle two years ago. It was at $6000 or so when I said this. It did drop to $3000 for a while and he thanked me.

Now. Well, now he's pissed.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Laconian

Quote from: Soup DeVille on February 08, 2021, 04:30:21 PM

My dad is super pissed at me. I counseled him against accepting bitcoin for a vehicle two years ago. It was at $6000 or so when I said this. It did drop to $3000 for a while and he thanked me.

Now. Well, now he's pissed.

Tell him the valuation is expressed in IOUs, not actual US dollars.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Laconian on February 08, 2021, 06:58:00 PM
Tell him the valuation is expressed in IOUs, not actual US dollars.

I understand that. But, he could sell the bitcoins for dollars right now.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Laconian

No sell! Only HODL

Morris Minor

Saw an interesting comment from someone who's taken a new Model 3 cross country & back. They loved the self-driving, but did not like the way it track around curves, even gentle freeway curves. Many people naturally follow the racing line: a little bit to the outside of the lane on the approach, maybe easing up just a micro tad on the throttle. drift over a little to the center line at the apex, then back towards the outside again on the exit.You just sort of unconsciously lengthen the radius. But the Tesla just sticks dead center of the lane, no power adjustments, like it's on steel rails. Just a hint of discomfort & lateral g that a driver would compensate for.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

shp4man

Tesla keeps sending me emails offering service tech jobs. If I was younger maybe, but not now.

afty

Quote from: Morris Minor on February 26, 2021, 11:53:43 AM
Saw an interesting comment from someone who's taken a new Model 3 cross country & back. They loved the self-driving, but did not like the way it track around curves, even gentle freeway curves. Many people naturally follow the racing line: a little bit to the outside of the lane on the approach, maybe easing up just a micro tad on the throttle. drift over a little to the center line at the apex, then back towards the outside again on the exit.You just sort of unconsciously lengthen the radius. But the Tesla just sticks dead center of the lane, no power adjustments, like it's on steel rails. Just a hint of discomfort & lateral g that a driver would compensate for.
I find that this behavior can be a little uncomfortable when someone else is driving toward one edge of the lane (or even drifts out of their lane), and Autopilot obstinately sticks to the middle and gets too close to them.  I believe Autopilot is supposed to handle this, but I don't trust it enough to find out -- I just take over.  Another weirdness is that Autopilot has no sense of not driving in someone's blind spot for too long, so if the speeds are matched it'll just sit there next to someone and I worry they don't see me.

MrH

Quote from: shp4man on March 31, 2021, 09:45:40 AM
Tesla keeps sending me emails offering service tech jobs. If I was younger maybe, but not now.

Lol, stay away at all costs. Their service is a total nightmare.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

RomanChariot

Quote from: afty on March 31, 2021, 10:06:25 AM
I find that this behavior can be a little uncomfortable when someone else is driving toward one edge of the lane (or even drifts out of their lane), and Autopilot obstinately sticks to the middle and gets too close to them.  I believe Autopilot is supposed to handle this, but I don't trust it enough to find out -- I just take over.  Another weirdness is that Autopilot has no sense of not driving in someone's blind spot for too long, so if the speeds are matched it'll just sit there next to someone and I worry they don't see me.
The fact that you worry about sitting in someone's blind spot makes you a better driver than the majority of drivers on the road who never even think about it. It drives me crazy when drivers park in my blind spot for miles at a time. Some even seem to change their speed to match changes in my speed. It is almost like they are hoping I don't know they are there and that I will change lanes into them.

Rich

I don't know why anyone would be speed matched to another lane unless there was moving traffic in all lanes with no way to pass.
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Soup DeVille

Quote from: RomanChariot on March 31, 2021, 11:55:06 AM
The fact that you worry about sitting in someone's blind spot makes you a better driver than the majority of drivers on the road who never even think about it. It drives me crazy when drivers park in my blind spot for miles at a time. Some even seem to change their speed to match changes in my speed. It is almost like they are hoping I don't know they are there and that I will change lanes into them.

They're on autopilot, and subconsciously using you as a speed reference point.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Rich on April 01, 2021, 07:40:09 AM
I don't know why anyone would be speed matched to another lane unless there was moving traffic in all lanes with no way to pass.
[/quote

Same reason I see dummies enter a freeway and immediately go across 2 lanes to the far left- even if they're traveling slower than the other 2 lanes.

Dumbness.
Will

Morris Minor

Perhaps Teslas should have a "Dumbfuck" FSD setting.

Merge onto freeways at no more than 43 mph
Lurch across lanes
Turn signals disabled
Rearview mirrors opaqued
Auto tailgating
Random unnecessary brake applications.

I'm sure there are more.

MrH

Holy shit.

Yesterday, passed a Model 3 on the high way.  Windows were tinted, but I could see him as I passed.  He had his "Full Self Driving" turned on, had an aftermarket device connected to the wheel to trick it into thinking he was holding onto it. and was just leaned back with his phone right in front of his face with both hands on it.

Fuck this company.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

r0tor

...and probably still driving better than the cars around him doing the same thing without FSD...
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Morris Minor

Quote from: MrH on April 05, 2021, 06:51:15 AM
Holy shit.

Yesterday, passed a Model 3 on the high way.  Windows were tinted, but I could see him as I passed.  He had his "Full Self Driving" turned on, had an aftermarket device connected to the wheel to trick it into thinking he was holding onto it. and was just leaned back with his phone right in front of his face with both hands on it.

Fuck this company.
I've always thought airbags promote bad habits. A steering wheel-mounted spike a few inches from the driver's chest would promote safe and cautious driving.

SJ_GTI

Q 2021 Earnings:

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/04/26/tesla-tsla-earnings-q1-2021-.html

QuoteNet profit reached a quarterly record of $438 million on a GAAP basis, and the company recorded $518 million in revenue from sales of regulatory credits during the period. It also recorded a $101 million positive impact from sales of bitcoin during the quarter.

In other words, Tesla still loses money on the manufacture and production of cars, but manages a profit by selling regulatory credits to other car companies.

That being said, they are pretty close to breakeven now. I could see them getting to a sustainable operating profit in the next few quarters. Still can't see how their market valuation is justifiable, but we'll see how things go.

MrH

Quote from: r0tor on April 05, 2021, 08:37:56 AM
...and probably still driving better than the cars around him doing the same thing without FSD...

That is verifiably false.  But you don't care.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Morris Minor

Quote from: r0tor on April 05, 2021, 08:37:56 AM
Tesla would agree with you.

r0tor

Humans are terrible drivers because they everything except actually paying attention to driving
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

MrH

2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

r0tor

Nice... Some dope takes a personalized subset of the data ("verifiable")  and performs an analysis on it.... We all know the NHTSA is a Tesla pumper

QuoteWhat Whitfield found was that only 5,714 vehicles of the 43,781 vehicles studied actually had full, verifiable data that could support NHTSA's findings. When Whitfield performed the same analysis that NHTSA had on this cohort for which complete mileage data before and after Autosteer installation was available, he found that it pointed to a 59% increase in airbag deployment after Autosteer was installed. Even then, without knowing the exact mileage at which the airbag-deploying crash took place makes it difficult to come up with specific data about the relative safety of the system. But, using statistical regression, Whitfield determined that the installation of Autosteer was not associated with a decreased risk of an airbag deployment crash, when controlling for exposure mileage. His analysis actually found that "Autosteer is actually associated with an increase in the odds ratio of airbag deployment by more than a factor of 2.4."

Morris Minor

There was a long article in the WSJ about Musk's many run-ins & lack of cooperation with several regulatory agencies: FTC, FAA, OSHA, NTSB, NHTSA off the top of my head. It reminds me a lot of Atlas Shrugged actually.
Now he's going to host Saturday Night Live.
There is something of The Donald about him.

Char

My hate of Tesla has made me root for VW to crush them. Imagine that.
Quote from: 565 on December 26, 2012, 09:13:44 AM
... Nissan needs to use these shocks on the GT-R.  It would be like the Incredible Hulk wielding Thor's hammer.... unstoppable.

SJ_GTI

Not good news for Tesla?

https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-transportation/stellantis-hit-emissions-target-without-teslas-help-says-ceo-2021-05-04/

QuoteFranco-Italian carmaker Stellantis (STLA.MI), expects to achieve its European carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions targets this year without environmental credits bought from Tesla (TSLA.O), its CEO said in an interview published on Tuesday.

Stellantis was formed through the merger of France's PSA and Italy's FCA, which spent about 2 billion euros ($2.40 billion) to buy European and U.S. CO2 credits from electric vehicle maker Tesla over the 2019-2021 period.

MX793

Quote from: SJ_GTI on May 05, 2021, 01:53:24 PM
Not good news for Tesla?

https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-transportation/stellantis-hit-emissions-target-without-teslas-help-says-ceo-2021-05-04/

Isn't this the same company that got caught up in an emissions cheating scandal?  Is their plan to just make up emissions numbers?
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5