New Bolt "EUV"

Started by SJ_GTI, February 15, 2021, 07:08:59 AM

SJ_GTI

Surprised there isn't a thread on this yet?

Making it a little bigger makes a lot of sense, but still FWD only really surprised me. I thought for sure they would offer AWD.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/02/14/gm-unveils-all-electric-chevy-bolt-euv-and-redesigned-less-expensive-bolt-ev.html

MrH

Yeah, this is big I thought.  I realize they're trying to get cost out, so they aren't using GM's new pouch battery tech and it's FWD only...but then it's also using Super Cruise that's one generation old already?

AWD and the newest supercruise would have been huge.  My girlfriend is looking at getting a new vehicle late summer/fall, and I threw this out yesterday to her and she actually liked the way it looked.  I want to get her to test drive a current Bolt to see what she thinks.  I wouldn't mind having 1 electric crossover, 1 gas crossover, and 1 sports car in the garage.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Galaxy

This is like 5 Grand cheaper then the old one? I think their idea has merit.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: MrH on February 15, 2021, 07:20:44 AM
Yeah, this is big I thought.  I realize they're trying to get cost out, so they aren't using GM's new pouch battery tech and it's FWD only...but then it's also using Super Cruise that's one generation old already?

AWD and the newest supercruise would have been huge.  My girlfriend is looking at getting a new vehicle late summer/fall, and I threw this out yesterday to her and she actually liked the way it looked.  I want to get her to test drive a current Bolt to see what she thinks.  I wouldn't mind having 1 electric crossover, 1 gas crossover, and 1 sports car in the garage.

I look at this as a mid-cycle refresh of the Bolt. Some improvements but not a huge effort.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

veeman

GM no longer has the big up to $7500 tax credit whereas Ford still has it.  So GM really has to keep the cost of this SUV low because with the $7500 tax credit, the Ford Mustang Mach-E will get very close to the Bolt EUV in price.  Bolt EUV starts at @ $34 thousand (and GM would likely be losing money on each one sold).  Mustang Mach-E starts at @ $43 thousand (and with federal tax credit @ $35,500).  Tesla Model Y starts at @ $42 thousand.

SJ_GTI

Quote from: veeman on February 16, 2021, 08:28:53 AM
GM no longer has the big up to $7500 tax credit whereas Ford still has it.  So GM really has to keep the cost of this SUV low because with the $7500 tax credit, the Ford Mustang Mach-E will get very close to the Bolt EUV in price.  Bolt EUV starts at @ $34 thousand (and GM would likely be losing money on each one sold).  Mustang Mach-E starts at @ $43 thousand (and with federal tax credit @ $35,500).  Tesla Model Y starts at @ $42 thousand.

I have thought, and still think, that the US government's approach to EV credits was unfortunate. In a way it punishes first movers on the manufacturing side. Because GM and Tesla were the first big developers of EV they now face a pretty stiff hurdle to overcome when shopped against new entrants.

To me the EV credits should have been industry wide. In other words if a company like Toyota chose not to invest in EV's early and all the credits went against Tesla/GM/Nissan vehicles then too bad for Toyota...they should have invested sooner.

But with the way it works Toyota was, in a way, very smart to wait until other companies took the risk/expense of developing EV technologies. When Toyota jumps in they can use the latest technology and benefit from the savings already achieved in battery costs yet still get the full tax credits even after the other companies no longer get them, which will make their cars way cheaper to the consumer (for a time).

CaminoRacer

Quote from: SJ_GTI on February 16, 2021, 09:14:57 AM
I have thought, and still think, that the US government's approach to EV credits was unfortunate. In a way it punishes first movers on the manufacturing side. Because GM and Tesla were the first big developers of EV they now face a pretty stiff hurdle to overcome when shopped against new entrants.

To me the EV credits should have been industry wide. In other words if a company like Toyota chose not to invest in EV's early and all the credits went against Tesla/GM/Nissan vehicles then too bad for Toyota...they should have invested sooner.

But with the way it works Toyota was, in a way, very smart to wait until other companies took the risk/expense of developing EV technologies. When Toyota jumps in they can use the latest technology and benefit from the savings already achieved in battery costs yet still get the full tax credits even after the other companies no longer get them, which will make their cars way cheaper to the consumer (for a time).

Yeah, it's a bit dumb at this point.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV