Hyundai’s Ioniq 5 Electric CUV

Started by cawimmer430, February 25, 2021, 08:13:27 AM

cawimmer430

Looks good. There would also be space upfront for a Boxer-4 internal combustion engine if you ask me...  :lol:

Hyundai's New Ioniq 5 Electric CUV Has A Funky '80s Sci-Fi Movie Vibe To It And We Dig It

Hyundai has revealed the new Ioniq 5, the carmaker's all-new electric mid-size crossover and the first model to be branded under the new 'Ioniq' electric sub-brand.

The new Hyundai Ioniq 5 rides on the dedicated Electric-Global Modular Platform (E-GMP), which blends the traditional skateboard design with an elongated wheelbase for attractively styled and practical EVs.

Hyundai's new electric crossover also features both 400- and 800-volt charging thanks to the new platform. When plugged into a 350kW charger, the Ioniq 5 can recharge from 10 to 80 percent in just 18 minutes, with the carmaker claiming that five minutes of charging is enough to get 62 miles of range on the WLTP cycle.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcFRhUFAGaU

Up to 292 miles of range, a choice between single- and dual-motor layouts

The new Ioniq 5 will be available with two battery pack sizes, 58kWh and 72.6 kWh, as well as single- and dual-motor layouts. The most powerful model is the dual-motor variant with the 72.6 kWh pack, offering a combined 302 HP and 446 lb-ft (605 Nm) of torque, and a 0-62 mph (100 km/h) in 5.2 seconds.

If you want the longest possible driving range out of your new Hyundai Ioniq 5, you'll have to go for the single-motor model with the big 72.6 kWh battery pack, offering between 292 and 298 miles (470 to 480 km) on the WLTP cycle, and a power output of 214 HP and 258 lb-ft (350 Nm) of torque.

The entry-level, single-motor Ioniq 5 with the 58 kWh battery pack features a motor driving the rear wheels, producing 167 HP and 258 lb-ft (350 Nm) of torque, with 0-62 mph (100 km/h) coming in 8.5 seconds.

Longer wheelbase than a Palisade

Don't let the hatchback proportions fool you; the new Hyundai Ioniq 5 comes with a 3,0m-long wheelbase (a bit over 118 inches), and measures 4,635mm long (182.4 inches) and 1,890mm wide (74.4 inches). This makes it longer and wider than a Tucson, while the Ioniq 5's wheelbase is even longer than that of the Palisade.

The unique exterior design has remained pretty loyal to the 45 concept. Hyundai calls it the 'Parametric Dynamics' design language, with the Ioniq 5 featuring a sharp surfacing treatment, a clamshell front hood "to minimize panel gaps for optimal aerodynamics", flush door handles, and small pixel-like clusters for lighting both front and rear. The new wheels are also aero-optimized, measuring 20 inches in diameter.

"A new mobility experience for the next generation—this was the mission from the first day we began this project, to look ahead towards the horizon, but stay fundamentally Hyundai," said SangYup Lee, Senior Vice President and Head of Hyundai Global Design Center. "IONIQ 5 is the new definition of timeless, providing a common thread linking our past to the present and future."

A practical interior with clever solutions

The cabin is also one of the highlights of the new mid-size electric crossover. The theme here is 'Living Space', with the interior featuring a completely flat floor, and most of the touchpoints -including the seats, headliner, door trim, and armrest- using eco-friendly sustainably sourced materials. These materials came from recycled PET bottles, plant-based yarns, natural wool yarns, eco-processed leather, and bio paint with plant extracts.

The front seats are electronically adjustable, able to recline to the optimum angle for a "weightless feeling" for the occupant while their backs are 30 percent slimmer to provide more room for the rear passengers. The highlight here is the 'Universal Island' center console, which can slide back as much as 140 mm (5.5 inches) for even more freedom of movement inside the cabin.

In addition, the dashboard features a dual-screen setup, with the instrument cluster using a 12-inch hoodless screen with different customizable layouts, while the infotainment system operates through a second 12-inch touchscreen display. In addition, there's an Augmented Reality Head-Up Display for the driver.

You can charge other electric devices too

The 2022 Hyundai Ioniq 5 also offers the innovative V2L function, which allows owners to freely charge any electric devices, including electric bikes, scooters, camping equipment from an outlet located in the back seat. A second outlet is located at the charging port on the exterior. The V2L function provides up to 3.6 kW of power.

As you would expect, Hyundai has fitted the new Ioniq 5 with the next-level SmartSense suite of active safety systems. This makes the new Ioniq 5 the first Hyundai to offer Highway Driving Assist 2, in addition to Forward Collision-Avoidance Assist (FCA), Blind-Spot Collision-Avoidance Assist (BCA), Intelligent Speed Limit Assist (ISLA), Driver Attention Warning (DAW), High Beam Assist (HBA), and more.

The 2022 Hyundai Ioniq 5 will launch in Europe by the middle of the year, with the US market to follow this fall.

Link: https://www.carscoops.com/2021/02/hyundais-new-ioniq-5-electric-cuv-has-a-funky-80s-sci-fi-movie-feel-to-it-and-we-dig-it/
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

SJ_GTI

FoMoJo

Is this the one that keeps bursting into flame?
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Galaxy

So it has the same 800V electrical infrastructure that Rimac designed for the Porsche Taycan/ Audi E-Tron GT, that is impressive.

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Morris Minor

Hmm - the UK reviews of this seem to be quite positive.
https://youtu.be/c2tHJD6mMbE
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

CaminoRacer

I was thinking we might replace our Bolt with the VW Bus EV when it comes out, but this might be a good option too. I'd love a Rivian but they're probably overkill (with a price to match)

Morris Minor

It got a huge wheelbase - 118 in (3.0 m) - about the same as the Palisade minivan.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Morris Minor on May 02, 2021, 05:53:15 AM
It got a huge wheelbase - 118 in (3.0 m) - about the same as the Palisade minivan.

Yeah apparently it's larger than the styling hints at. I can kinda tell from the charging photo I posted above

SJ_GTI

I didn't realize it was that big. Still looks good to me, but much bigger than a car I would want personally.

I'd certainly prefer a compact hatchback, but I'd probably consider a smallish CUV as well. That's what I thought this was.

RomanChariot

Quote from: Morris Minor on May 02, 2021, 05:53:15 AM

They went with a long wheelbase and short overhangs which gives it a smaller appearance but a lot of interior space. I love the hyperbole in their description of the styling,  "IONIQ 5 is the new definition of timeless, providing a common thread linking our past to the present and future." I don't know that edgy and robotic will ever be the definition of timeless. I don't mind the styling but I think it will grow to be dated over time.

Laconian

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDTma63Dtc4

Wow! 30% more cargo volume than the Outback. Too big, maybe?
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT