1949 Cadillac Restoration project

Started by southdiver1, July 23, 2007, 05:06:39 AM

southdiver1

Quote from: etypeJohn on August 14, 2007, 10:56:07 AM
That's great that you at least have movement.? The suggestion of pulling the valve covers and checking the valve train for movement is a good one.? I doubt that is an interference engine, but why risk it.?

If it were me I would pull the starter and take it to be checked.? Make sure they understand its 6 volt.? It is a 6 volt system, right?? You probably ought to take the generator while you are at it.?

Check that the solenoid and starter are getting juice with a volt meter.? You have a wiring diagram?? If not, it's just a matter of tracing back.? ?

Hello John,
Yes, it is a 6V system.
At this point, I have decided to stop working on the engine until I get the factory manual in my hands. I just ordered the CD.
The "breaking point" for me is the fact that, even with the fan belt hanging loose, I still cannot move the fan at all. I am used to mechanical fans having a fan clutch and it being free spinning so, I don't know what causes this to spin.  It isn't turning with the engine so, I am not sure what is going on at all. For all I know, the bearnings could simply be rusted solid but, I don't like the "get a bigger hammer" idea too much.
I figure I will just start on the body work unti lthis CD comes in. I hate just pulling stuff apart and being unsure of what I am doing although with the fact that I want to have the block powdercoated and the intake manifold painted, the engine is coming apart anyway.
The manual will come in handy and, I am not in a huge hurry.
I came into this world kicking, screaming, pissed off, and covered in someone elses blood.
If I do it right, I will leave this world in the same condition.

etypeJohn

Quote from: southdiver1 on August 14, 2007, 11:04:32 AM
Hello John,
Yes, it is a 6V system.
At this point, I have decided to stop working on the engine until I get the factory manual in my hands. I just ordered the CD.
The "breaking point" for me is the fact that, even with the fan belt hanging loose, I still cannot move the fan at all. I am used to mechanical fans having a fan clutch and it being free spinning so, I don't know what causes this to spin.? It isn't turning with the engine so, I am not sure what is going on at all. For all I know, the bearnings could simply be rusted solid but, I don't like the "get a bigger hammer" idea too much.
I figure I will just start on the body work unti lthis CD comes in. I hate just pulling stuff apart and being unsure of what I am doing although with the fact that I want to have the block powdercoated and the intake manifold painted, the engine is coming apart anyway.
The manual will come in handy and, I am not in a huge hurry.

I'm about 99% certain the fan is on the waterpump spindle.? The fan belt turns the water pump and the fan.? Sounds like the water pump is frozen.? Not a big deal.? See:? http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/query?adtype=partsforsale&type=water%20pumps for sources.?

You might find this helpful also.  http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/partsforsale/cadillac/unspecified/?year=1949

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

southdiver1

Quote from: FoMoJo on August 20, 2007, 11:16:51 AM
Any progress over the week-end?

Not much.. It was over 100 degrees outside so, it was too hot to do any real work. I am at a stalled point until my shop manual arrives.
In the meantime, I did get the water pump to turn by tapping on it with a hammer while pulling on the blade.
As I am cleaning the car, I am finding more and more rust holes.
I found another one under the passanger side rear wheel well near the front. That is gonna be a hard one to weld up but, that weld does not need to be perfect as I plan on undercoating all four wheelwells anyway.
I came into this world kicking, screaming, pissed off, and covered in someone elses blood.

southdiver1

For those still keeping track...

Money To Spend   $5,000.00    

Oil Filter        $14.05    Cheap filter for initial change
Oil Filter         $31.00    good filter for royal purple
Oil Catch                   $9.83    Need to drain the oil at home
Seafoam       $15.22    Hopefully this will flush everything out
Bungee cords   $6.99    Gotta hold down the tarp
Oil pan gasket   $17.93    Gotta scrape the pan.. Yummy
13/16 Deap socket   $4.25    That is for the sparkplugs.. BIG
11/16 deap socket   $4.25    Needed for the crankshaft
Marvles Mystery Oil   $3.70    Hopefully a 1 week piston soak will work
Brake Cleaner   $6.46    Evaporates quick and cut grease
Battery                   $63.30    Money well wasted so far?
Car Cover                   $12.95    WalMart Special and keeps the wife happy
PB Blaster   $6.58    Soak the pistons another week.

Money Left   $4,803.49    
Money Spent   $196.51    

Raghavan

southdiver1

the Teuton

I didn't read everything.  Resto or rod?
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

southdiver1

Quote from: the Teuton on August 20, 2007, 10:28:40 PM
I didn't read everything.? Resto or rod?

Well, it was gonna be a restoration until I started to price out chrome. Now it is gonna be a rod.
In fact, I will soon start a voting thread

A: Gloss balck paint with a 50's style flame job
B: Flat black paint with "Nose Art" (like the old WWII bombers)

FoMoJo

C: Candy Apple Red :ohyeah: ~ with white vinyl interior.

It looks great on any '49 - '51 Caddy, Buick or Olds!
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

southdiver1

Quote from: FoMoJo on August 21, 2007, 12:35:16 PM
C: Candy Apple Red :ohyeah: ~ with white vinyl interior.

It looks great on any '49 - '51 Caddy, Buick or Olds!

And while I agree with you, changing the color is not something that I want to do at this stage in the game.
Now, a few years down the road if I decide to take the body off the car, well, my thoughts might change.
The problem is, the brown interior is pretty much perfect right now.

FoMoJo

While the Caddy is an excellent candidate for a Resto Rod, in Candy Apple Red :ohyeah:, it, certainly, would be a very expensive prospect.  However, as from your description it seems to be a very complete original, I really hope that you can go the restoration route.  As for the chrome bits, etc. while they may be quite tarnished looking and expensive to get replated, you can likely use them as is, with a good buffing, and go with the patina look until it's possible to replate or replace them.  This would mean that the overall look, paint, etc. can not look too new either.  Cars done this way are becoming very desirable and, as long as the drivetrain works well enough, it may be the most economical approach.

southdiver1

Quick update....
I tried to take off the starter today but, I was missing most of my open end wrenches and I needed a 5/8. The socket wouldn't make it past the frame.
Most of my tools are at my fathers shop so, I need to go there tonight and dump a bunch of tools in a bag and keep them at the house as my Craftsman socket set just isn't enough.
Anyway, I smacked the starter with a hammer a few times and then (after connecting the battery again) attempted to start it.
This time I heard a "clunk" but, still no turn.
Hopefully it is a bad sylonid (sp?).
Either way, I am making progreess SLOWLY.
Once I get it running and have brakes I can drive it to my dads shop and use the air tools, lift, and air conditioning. Progress should go MUCH faster a that point.

Rupert

It's solenoid.

It's gonna be a pretty sweet car in the end...
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

southdiver1

Quote from: Psilos on August 27, 2007, 09:21:31 PM
It's solenoid.

It's gonna be a pretty sweet car in the end...

Thanks.. Silly-noid.... (sigh)  :(      :partyon:      :tounge:

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

southdiver1

WOO HOO!!!!!
I recieved my 1949 Cadillac factory OEM Shop manual last night in the mail.
Basically, it is simply a shop manual that was professionally scanned and then burned onto a CD but, it is indexed very professionally so things like Engine are seperated into catagories like General, Eletricial, cooling, ect.
It has 16 pages dedicated to the body alone.
MAN, I am REALLY stoked about this.
Plus, it has another section with part numbers. At least this will give me a chance to cross reference things that I may need.
Wiring diagrams...... I am VERY stoked about this.

Money To Spend   $5,000.00    

Oil Filter   $14.05    Cheap filter for initial change
Oil Filter   $31.00    good filter for royal purple
Oil Catch   $9.83    Need to drain the oil at home
Seafoam   $15.22    Hopefully this will flush everything out
Bungee cords   $6.99    Gotta hold down the tarp
Oil pan gasket   $17.93    Gotta scrape the pan.. Yummy
13/16 Deap socket   $4.25    That is for the sparkplugs.. BIG
Brake Cleaner   $6.46    Evaporates quick and cut grease
Battery   $63.30    Money well wasted so far?
Car Cover   $12.95    WalMart Special and keeps the wife happy
PB Blaster   $6.58    Soak the pistons another week.
Shop Manual CD   $52.00    Now I actually KNOW what I am doing

Money Left   $4,751.49    
Money Spent   $248.51    

southdiver1

Well, I got my starter off this weekend (can you believe that I didn't have a 5/8 open end wrench?)
Anyway, it is shot so I took it to one of the few guys that knows anything about these starters.
They are sending it off to Orlando for the rebuild so, this weekend I will try to take care of the seized up water pump as I will be starterless.
Since I am VERY excited that the car will turn over, I will also go ahead and drain the fuel tank.
How cool will it bee if this thing actually fires up on the weekend of the 15th?
I plan on video taping it.

etypeJohn

Quote from: southdiver1 on September 04, 2007, 11:54:37 AM
Well, I got my starter off this weekend (can you believe that I didn't have a 5/8 open end wrench?)
Anyway, it is shot so I took it to one of the few guys that knows anything about these starters.
They are sending it off to Orlando for the rebuild so, this weekend I will try to take care of the seized up water pump as I will be starterless.
Since I am VERY excited that the car will turn over, I will also go ahead and drain the fuel tank.
How cool will it bee if this thing actually fires up on the weekend of the 15th?
I plan on video taping it.

You got the engine to turn over by hand?

You are probably going to have to blow out the fuel lines also. 

southdiver1

Quote from: etypeJohn on September 04, 2007, 01:29:12 PM
You got the engine to turn over by hand?

You are probably going to have to blow out the fuel lines also.?

Yeah.. I soaked the spark plug holes for about three weeks and then I used a wrench on the crankshaft bolt.
I was not 100% sure that I was turning the engine or spinning the bolt but, with the starter orr, I can see the flywheel while I turn the crankshaft bolt with a big socket wrench and the flywheel is turning.
I figure I will disconnect the fuel line at the tank and right before the filter and then just blow compressed air but, I think it is all evaporated by now.
I have been leaving the fuel cap off when I am working on it hoping the old fuel (it smells like Acetone now) will evaporate and leave me with less of a mess.

southdiver1

Well, I got my water pump off this weekend.
If you remember, it was absolutly frozen solid. I snapped one bolt in taking it off but, I gut lucky and there is pleanty of bolt sticking out of the block so I can get a set of lock jaws on it and back it out after hitting it with the PB blaster and a bit of heat.

Anyway, here is a picture of the waterpump with the rear cover removed. You can see where the water just sat for 32 years.

I let it soak in PB blaster for two hours and then jently moved it back and forth while blocking the fan with my feet. It worked and it now spins!!!!!

This next picture of of the heater hose. The buildup looks like shellrock but it is actually calcum buildup from years of not flushing the cooling system.. Let this be a lesson to you kids...
I suspect the heater is totally blocked.

FoMoJo

It looks like you're making pretty good progress. 

The cast pieces look pretty healthy from the picture.  I guess, back then in a warm climate, only water was used in the cooling system. I'd guess you'd want to soak the cooling system in some calcium/lime/rust remover product.

southdiver1

Well, my plan was, once I get the car running was to:
A: Dump some seafoam in the oil to clean that
B: Fill up the rad with water and dump some radiator flush in it
C: put a BUNCH of fuel cleaner in the tank.

From there, drive it straight to my fathers shop (about a 20 minute drive) and change the oil and drain the rad again. Fill up the oil with Royal Purple and fill the rad with a 50/50 mix of water and anti freeze.
However, your CLR idea sounds like it might be a pretty good one.. Have you ever used it?

FoMoJo

I've never used it myself.  I've heard of CLR recommended for radiator cleaning but not for the engine.  I'm not too sure what the consequences would be but I expect that it might loosen up the frost plugs.

southdiver1

Quote from: FoMoJo on September 10, 2007, 11:40:25 AM
I've never used it myself.  I've heard of CLR recommended for radiator cleaning but not for the engine.  I'm not too sure what the consequences would be but I expect that it might loosen up the frost plugs.

Hmmm...
Well, if I put it in the rad, then it will cycle thru the motor... I suppose that I could use it and then flush it several times.... Heck, so far I have done all kinds of silly things to this engine that have worked so far...

By the way, I will recommend PB Blaster over WD40 every day of the year.

ChrisV

Love seeing the progress on this, especially for the money. And yes, PB > all else... ;)
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

southdiver1

OK.. Trying to do the cost with a new format...

Money to spend   $5,000.00   
Oil Filter   $14.05   Cheap filter for initial change
Oil Filter   $31.00   good filter for royal purple
Oil Catch   $9.83   Need to drain the oil at home
Seafoam   $15.22   Hopefully this will flush everything out
Bungee cords   $6.99   Gotta hold down the tarp
Oil pan gasket   $17.93    Gotta scrape the pan.. Yummy
13/16 Deap socket   $4.25   That is for the sparkplugs.. BIG
11/16 deap socket   $4.25   Needed for the crankshaft
Marvles Mystery Oil   $3.70    Hopefully a 1 week piston soak will work
Brake Cleaner   $6.46   Evaporates quick and cut grease
Battery   $63.30   Money well wasted so far?
Car Cover   $12.95    WalMart Special and keeps the wife happy
PB Blaster   $6.58   Soak the pistons another week.
Shop Manual CD   $52.00   Now I actually KNOW what I am doing
Generator Belt   $8.99   
PB Blaster   $4.19   
Cheap Oil   $1.79   Good for soaking bolts in
Degreaser   $2.09   
1/3 Clamp   $2.49   For the heater hose
1/3 Clamp   $2.49   Ditto
1/2 Clamp   $2.49   Radiator Set Clamp
1/2 Clamp   $2.49   Radiator Set Clamp
Upper Rad Hose   $14.09   
Lower rad hose   $15.99   
4 ft heater hose   $0.00   Looks like they forgot to charge me?

Money left    $4,694.39   
Money spent   $305.61   

southdiver1

Oil Filter           $14.05    Cheap filter for initial change
Oil Filter           $31.00    good filter for royal purple
Oil Catch           $9.83    Need to drain the oil at home
Seafoam                   $15.22    Hopefully this will flush everything out
Bungee cords           $6.99    Gotta hold down the tarp
Oil pan gasket           $17.93    Gotta scrape the pan.. Yummy
13/16 deap socket   $4.25    That is for the sparkplugs.. BIG
Brake Cleaner           $6.46    Evaporates quick and cut grease
Battery                   $63.30    Money well wasted so far?
Car Cover           $12.95    WalMart Special and keeps the wife happy
PB Blaster           $6.58    Soak the pistons another week.
Shop Manual CD      $52.00    Now I actually KNOW what I am doing
Generator Belt     $8.99    
PB Blaster              $4.19    
Cheap Oil          $1.79    Good for soaking bolts in
Degreaser          $2.09    
1/3 Clamp           $2.49    Heater Hose clamps
1/3 Clamp           $2.49    
1/2 Clamp           $2.49    Rad hose clamp set
1/2 Clamp           $2.49    
Upper Rad Hose          $14.09    
Lower rad hose           $15.99    
heater hose           $0.00    They forgot to charge me?
Starter rebuild           $122.18    so far, it is the prettiest part of the car.

Money Left           $4,572.21    
Money Spent           $427.79    

FoMoJo

southdiver1

Quote from: FoMoJo on September 11, 2007, 10:01:55 AM
Have you got plates for it yet :mrcool:?

Not yet...  There was some "power of attorney" issues. Nothing bad just some confusion. The lady I bought it from was the exeutor of her fathers estate.
Anyway, I didn't get a copy of the power of attorney from her and she lives up in Tennessee.
I called her and she gave me the number to her attorney.  $$$$$
I spoke to the attorney and he told me he has delt with this before and I should go ahead and send him the title and he will take care of the stamps and such.
I know I am gonna pay for it but, at least it will be done....