El Camino project car

Started by hotrodalex, October 04, 2008, 12:49:56 PM

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: hotrodalex on November 20, 2008, 12:57:58 PM
Got the third package from Edelbrock this afternoon, this one with a new timing chain in it.

you shoulda got timing gears so it would make a cool geary whiney sound :lol:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Soup DeVille

Quote from: NACar on November 20, 2008, 02:51:37 PM

You can order them from Jeg's with extra whine.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Eye of the Tiger

hotrodalex

Quote from: NACar on November 20, 2008, 02:51:37 PM

Or just supercharge the thing and have an even better whine. :ohyeah:

hotrodalex

Bought new seats off ebay today. They're from a Mazda 3. Cloth, black w/ red insert. I'll post pics when I pick them up.

Laconian

Better than the seats that came from your Mazda 6???
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

hotrodalex

Quote from: Laconian on November 22, 2008, 08:58:16 PM
Better than the seats that came from your Mazda 6???

They're in about the same condition I think. I actually thought about just using my Mazda 6 seats but they're gray. :lol:

hotrodalex

Drove up to Columbus to pick up the seats today. Just barely squeezed them in the trunk and back seat of my Mazda.

They are in great condition for being $75 on ebay. I'll get them in the car eventually, after I order new floor pans and put them in.

I also stopped by the Jegs store to get some various engine pieces and saw a nice steering wheel too.

It was about $80, might have to get one. Originally I was thinking about getting a wheel from Flaming River, but the one I like is $400. And they look about the same.

This is the one from Flaming River:

TBR

If anything the cheap one looks better.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: hotrodalex on November 29, 2008, 07:44:08 PM
Drove up to Columbus to pick up the seats today. Just barely squeezed them in the trunk and back seat of my Mazda.

They are in great condition for being $75 on ebay. I'll get them in the car eventually, after I order new floor pans and put them in.

I also stopped by the Jegs store to get some various engine pieces and saw a nice steering wheel too.

It was about $80, might have to get one. Originally I was thinking about getting a wheel from Flaming River, but the one I like is $400. And they look about the same.

This is the one from Flaming River:

I have a Grant wheel in the Z. You have to make sure that it's large enough that you can still see the gauges.

Also, the wheel feels a bit cheap and flimsy. It's still better than the POS stock one, but my wheel is a Momo Monte Carlo knock off and it has knock-off quality.

Minpin

:hesaid:

I would pay more for a quality wheel. You use the wheel more than anything else, as such it better be damn comfy!  :lol:
?Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr Bond. I expect you to die!?

hotrodalex

Got more goodies today! This time from NPD.

- floorboards (and floor support)
- locks
- door sills

hotrodalex

I also got a glovebox. (I knew I was forgetting something)

I found a leak under the windshield too. I'm glad I found it before I put the new floorboards and carpet in.

hotrodalex

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on November 29, 2008, 09:48:52 PM
I have a Grant wheel in the Z. You have to make sure that it's large enough that you can still see the gauges.

It has a tilt steering column so I should be able to see the gauges. But I'm not sure what wheel I'm getting yet.

hotrodalex

Picked up a transmission input shaft bearing today. I figured I should get that before I finish the engine, to make sure it will fit in the engine. I don't want to pay to machine the engine and find out it can't be used with a manual transmission, since it's from an automatic car.

Looks like it will fit though.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Are you going with a 5 or 6 speed?
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

hotrodalex

Quote from: gotta-qik-z28 on February 14, 2009, 10:53:46 PM
Are you going with a 5 or 6 speed?

Just the Saginaw 4 speed that's in the car right now. Later on I might upgrade to a Tremec 6 speed or something.

hotrodalex

L. ed foote

Quote from: NACar on October 04, 2008, 03:59:11 PM
Are you going to paint it?

Herculiner!  It'll be an El Herculmino :praise:
Member, Self Preservation Society

Eye of the Tiger

Eye of the Tiger

hotrodalex

Quote from: NACar on March 11, 2009, 04:21:46 PM
At least put it in the bed.

I'm not sure what I want to do with the bed. Right now it's all banged up. I was thinking about putting in some nice wood and covering it. I guess I'll have to decide how much hauling I'll do with it.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: hotrodalex on March 11, 2009, 04:34:27 PM
I'm not sure what I want to do with the bed. Right now it's all banged up. I was thinking about putting in some nice wood and covering it. I guess I'll have to decide how much hauling I'll do with it.

You only have one option for the bed. Herculmino.

Sigma Projects

Cool project my sister has a 71'

What's wrong with the auto. I mean the turbo 350 trannys are legends almost. I didn't catch which auto you have?
RAs, the last of the RWD Celicas

hotrodalex

Quote from: Sigma Projects on March 14, 2009, 02:22:01 AM
Cool project my sister has a 71'

What's wrong with the auto. I mean the turbo 350 trannys are legends almost. I didn't catch which auto you have?

I don't have an extra auto to put in. The one from the 350 in my garage is now in my Camaro (I didn't bother getting a new transmission when I built the engine in my Camaro)

hotrodalex

Like I said in the chat thread, I took the engine to the machine shop today. They're going to take it apart and check it out over the next few days and then call me to see what we're going to do with it.

Also talked to Shannon (a local painter and car guy) and he's going to come check out the floorboards tomorrow hopefully. Eventually I might have him paint the car too.

SVT_Power

oh man i wish i had half of that amount of room in my fucking engine bay...
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

hotrodalex

I called the machine shop today. They've checked out the block and it's all good. They want to bore it to clean up the cylinder walls, but that's about it. He said they will check out the heads this week and call me after that.

Once the weather gets better I'm going to put in the new locks. I also need to change the locking mechanism on the passenger door. It's from a '70 car so the interior lock is in a different location.

hotrodalex

I fixed the windshield leak and got the car to start. And I found out why the driver's door won't stay open - it's missing the hinge with the grooves. Plus I need to replace 3 of the dash lights.