2019 BMW 3 Series G20: This Is It!

Started by cawimmer430, October 01, 2018, 08:09:01 AM

cawimmer430

2019 BMW 3 Series G20: This Is It!

Ladies and gentlemen, here's the all-new BMW 3 Series G20 in all its glory, courtesy of the automaker's leaked car configurator.

Picked up by the BimmerPost forum and brought to our attention by reader Al, the configurator shows various models in the 3 Series lineup, including the range-topping M340i, the M Sport Package, the Sport Line, as well as various interior configurations.

Our first impression is that the G20 looks better proportioned than its predecessor, as well as more aggressive. That has a lot to do with the front end that features a new design for the headlights (available as LEDs or with laser technology) and a more sculpted bumper. The flatter taillights are quite different from those of the predecessor model as well, helping make the car look wider.

Viewed from the side, the longer wheelbase is quite obvious, and it contributes to giving the car a more elegant profile. The M340i and M Sport Package cars shown in the gallery display the most aggressive aero kit, with large side intakes in the front bumper and creases that flow from the headlights.

The models also feature sharper side sills and a vented rear bumper with two round exhaust tips (330i M Sport Package) or trapezoidal exhausts (M340i) on each side. Finally, there are four new exterior colors available: Dravit Grey, Tansanit Blue II, Citrin Black II, and Vermont Bronze.

As for the interior, we get to see the 12.3-inch configurable digital instrument panel once again, the 10.25-inch central touchscreen display, the new sports seats, the new controls for the climate control area, and the new steering wheels.

Overall, the cabin appears to be a big step forward, both in terms of design and quality. Curiously, there's no gearshift lever on the center console for the models equipped with the Sport Automatic transmission. However, we can't spot any transmission buttons either, so this one remains a mystery for now.

As always, one would have to spec the optional appearance packages to make the 3 Series look its best, but the lower-spec Sport Line model doesn't look half bad. Stay tuned for more on the G20 3 Series as its official reveal is just around the corner at the Paris Motor Show that starts tomorrow.

Link: https://www.carscoops.com/2018/10/2019-bmw-3-series-g20-this-is-it/
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

MexicoCityM3

Very conservative. Too conservative actually. The good part of that is that it won't make my just bought M3 look that dated immediately.

If they improved the dynamics and if they bring a competitive EV version at some point are the key questions IMO.

The 3er segment is really, really crowded these days - and sedan sales are in decline so BMW faces more pressure for this model than ever. Fortunately they are doing their SUV's right to stay healthy in the short term.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

SJ_GTI

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on October 01, 2018, 08:12:29 AM
Very conservative. Too conservative actually. The good part of that is that it won't make my just bought M3 look that dated immediately.

If they improved the dynamics and if they bring a competitive EV version at some point are the key questions IMO.

The 3er segment is really, really crowded these days - and sedan sales are in decline so BMW faces more pressure for this model than ever. Fortunately they are doing their SUV's right to stay healthy in the short term.

Are they working on an EV version of the 3-series? I presume they are working on EV's, but with the way the market is going I would also have assumed they would be working on a CUV EV.

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: SJ_GTI on October 01, 2018, 08:20:39 AM
Are they working on an EV version of the 3-series? I presume they are working on EV's, but with the way the market is going I would also have assumed they would be working on a CUV EV.

There are some conflicting rumors about it. EV mules have been spotted. I do think the Tesla 3 is the biggest competitive threat to BMW today.
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

12,000 RPM

From what I understand the CLAR platform can accommodate anything on the ICE-EV gradient. BMW is just gauging market interest before they speak on offerings (which seems a bit late at this point)

Thoughts:

- Supposedly 340 will be xi + auto only. The market is the market :(
- Nose is ugly and busy. Almost looks like an Infiniti
- They fucked up the kink
- Taillights:

Looking to see what they do with the hybrid/EV versions... but F30 330e is still my pick
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

93JC

I can tell it has changed a little, but this looks shockingly similar to the existing car.

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on October 01, 2018, 11:15:22 AM

RWD 340i is confirmed as is AWD 340d
From what I understand the CLAR platform can accommodate anything on the ICE-EV gradient. BMW is just gauging market interest before they speak on offerings (which seems a bit late at this point)

Thoughts:

- Supposedly 340 will be xi + auto only. The market is the market :(
- Nose is ugly and busy. Almost looks like an Infiniti
- They fucked up the kink
- Taillights:

Looking to see what they do with the hybrid/EV versions... but F30 330e is still my pick
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

r0tor

It sort of looks like e60 grade Japanese styling influence nobody liked back in the day
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

2o6

r0tor

I don't like the new M Sport steering wheel at all

... Also not crazy about all digital Guage on a performance car...
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

12,000 RPM

Quote from: r0tor on October 01, 2018, 03:05:21 PM
I don't like the new M Sport steering wheel at all

... Also not crazy about all digital Guage on a performance car...

It's a performance car not an antique

r0tor

Yea, that's great for a stripped out race car.

In a sports sedan i would rather have a nice classics analog gauge set.  Clear, concise, non distacting, and legible.  I want a car with passion and driver focus.  I want a Swiss chronograph and not a stupid Iwatch to go with the iPad stuck on the dash.

12,000 RPM

Swiss chronograph to iPad analogy is apt....

iPad keeps laser accurate time and displays it clearly, Swiss chronographs do not. Well designed digital dashes are very driver focused, displaying info relevant to performance driving clearly and accurately.

I am not using antique as a pejorative; I think there is a place for analog gauges in cars. I'm not sure a cutting edge tech driven sedan like the G20 3 is that. Literally every 3er up to this point has the gauges you seek so there is plenty of choice... but I don't think this car is the place for nostalgia honestly.

r0tor

"a cutting edge tech driven sedan"

That was exactly the problem with the F30.  The focus was on tech and not driving or the driving experience.

A Swiss chronograph has character - you hear it, you feel it winding, it's a joy to look at the mechanical hits moving.  Those things can never be improved upon by electronics.

12,000 RPM

You can't hear or feel gauges in a dashboard, nor see its mechanical bits moving.... plus as the pics show there is an "analog gauge" mode. Functionally what's the difference?

And the F30 had analog gauges. The tech was not the issue with its driving dynamics; bubble gum analog subframe bushings and bullshit run flat tires were.

CaminoRacer

Ok why the hell did they already jump to G from F30? They spent decades in the E's.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

MexicoCityM3

I think the digital dash is ok and frankly inevitable for the class it competes in. Any less and it would be perceived as "falling behind" by most buyers. Not enough swiss cronograph fans to make up for that.

Quote from: CaminoRacer on October 01, 2018, 07:51:11 PM
Ok why the hell did they already jump to G from F30? They spent decades in the E's.

Model explosion maybe.
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

MexicoCityM3

'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

Galaxy

It is a shame that they got rid of the signature round LED daytime driving lamps.

There are analog gauges available, at least in Europe.

r0tor

Quote from: CaminoRacer on October 01, 2018, 07:51:11 PM

Because F models almost across the bmw model range were not very good.

cawimmer430

Quote from: Galaxy on October 01, 2018, 09:05:36 PM
There are analog gauges available, at least in Europe.

Are you sure? That looks digital to me.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

12,000 RPM

Quote from: r0tor on October 02, 2018, 04:08:50 AM
Because F models almost across the bmw model range were not very good.
Now you done did it :lol:

Agreed that real world pics look a lot better. Still looks like a Lexus though.

CALL_911

It's not a bad looking car at all, but it's certainly.nothing special. Shame that me second favorite company in the industry has lost all my interest

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

r0tor

Galaxy

Quote from: cawimmer430 on October 02, 2018, 05:27:36 AM

Are you sure? That looks digital to me.

It is difficult to find any pictures of it, since BMW is only showing highly optioned versions, but you can see the standard gauges in the configurator. I think the center part of the gauges is digital.

12,000 RPM

Was just going to say, I heard a ugly rumor that no manual would be available

So what manual "sport" sedans are left? A4? ATS is dead and I get a strong hunch its replacement won't have one.

2o6

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on October 02, 2018, 10:59:50 AM
Was just going to say, I heard a ugly rumor that no manual would be available

So what manual "sport" sedans are left? A4? ATS is dead and I get a strong hunch its replacement won't have one.

G70

12,000 RPM

Quote from: 2o6 on October 02, 2018, 11:35:08 AM
G70
Ah yes. A4 manual is dead for 2019 so all hope rests on the Genesis. We'll see....

MrH

About 2/3rds of the Accord's gauges are an LCD screen.  It's great in function.  When it's just the tachometer, it's hard to even tell it apart from the analog speedometer.  I say bring on the digital gauges!
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV