2019 BMW 3 Series G20: This Is It!

Started by cawimmer430, October 01, 2018, 08:09:01 AM

veeman

Quote from: cawimmer430 on February 13, 2019, 03:14:46 AM
Everytime someone posts a link to Car and Driver I weep. Can't view their website. Communist Europe... eh, GDPR...  :cry:

Germany blocks Car and Driver?

cawimmer430

Quote from: veeman on February 14, 2019, 11:37:16 PM
Germany blocks Car and Driver?

No, Car and Driver has geo-blocked parts of Europe thanks to these idiotic GDPR laws, which are now being further extended with EU Article 11 and 13, the latter which is going to ruin the Internet for fun-loving Europeans.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Data_Protection_Regulation
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Laconian

Article 13 is gonna be balls. How will forums, or anything featuring user-generated content, survive?
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

12,000 RPM

That might be what pushes Europe over the edge with the EU. My inner conspiracy theorist says they're using this shit to stifle communication (and dissent)
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

cawimmer430

Quote from: Laconian on February 21, 2019, 04:06:13 PM
Article 13 is gonna be balls. How will forums, or anything featuring user-generated content, survive?

Good question.

So far Article 13 only applies to major websites like Youtube, Facebook, Amazon etc. Smaller websites will eventually have to follow suit, IIRC. I watched a video from a German lawyer who went through the whole thing. This guy is very active on the Internet and he was tearing apart these idiot politicians who enforced Article 13.

It's basically the lovetoy from a man called Axel Voss from the CDU political party in Germany. The hashtag #NieWiederCDU (Never again CDU) became an instant hit on the web. German politics are a mess right now...

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on February 21, 2019, 05:08:37 PM
That might be what pushes Europe over the edge with the EU. My inner conspiracy theorist says they're using this shit to stifle communication (and dissent)

That's exactly what it is: CENSORSHIP. Censorship under the guise of "copyright laws". The EU and major governments in Europe are fearful of the alternative media who are reporting the truth about their crap politics and idiotic decisions.

By enacting this law, they can silence these people, or at least prevent them from using copyrighted material and thus make their video/news presentations a little more dull.

What these idiots are not thinking about is how this will ruin people who for example make a living reviewing movies, video games etc. on Youtube. They won't be able to use clips or trailers or mere screenshots anymore - unless they have a "contract" with Facebook/Youtube. And even the assholes who came up with EU Article 13 (Axel Voss), have no idea how that contract looks like or will actually work. Essentially these morons are "Shooting first, ask questions later!"

Europe is being run by morons.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Laconian

Censorship, or protectionism? The laws were written with heavy input from European media and major copyright holders.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

GoCougs

Quote from: cawimmer430 on February 22, 2019, 01:55:07 AM
That's exactly what it is: CENSORSHIP. Censorship under the guise of "copyright laws". The EU and major governments in Europe are fearful of the alternative media who are reporting the truth about their crap politics and idiotic decisions.

By enacting this law, they can silence these people, or at least prevent them from using copyrighted material and thus make their video/news presentations a little more dull.

What these idiots are not thinking about is how this will ruin people who for example make a living reviewing movies, video games etc. on Youtube. They won't be able to use clips or trailers or mere screenshots anymore - unless they have a "contract" with Facebook/Youtube. And even the assholes who came up with EU Article 13 (Axel Voss), have no idea how that contract looks like or will actually work. Essentially these morons are "Shooting first, ask questions later!"

Europe is being run by morons.

This is the natural, inescapable progression of anti-speech laws (outlawing blasphemy, Holocaust denial, Nazi symbols, etc.).

Have no fear, the US isn't that bad, but we will be.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: GoCougs on February 22, 2019, 03:22:59 PM
This is the natural, inescapable progression of anti-speech laws (outlawing blasphemy, Holocaust denial, Nazi symbols, etc.).

Have no fear, the US isn't that bad, but we will be.
I can only imagine the difficulties you face as a Holocaust denier in the US. Hopefully we can make things right ffor you

shp4man

I agree with Wimmer. Some of the European governments are poorly run and based on faulty, idealistic beliefs. 

cawimmer430

Quote from: Laconian on February 22, 2019, 02:20:34 PM
Censorship, or protectionism? The laws were written with heavy input from European media and major copyright holders.

There is some truth to that. The mainstream European media is pro Article 13 because it means their competition - the alternative media - has a good chance of getting silenced. Many Europeans are distrustful of the mainstream media and have begun looking elsewhere for news.

My news comes from alternative news sources, and not state-run bullshit FAKE NEWS sources like ARD, ZDF, Der Spiegel etc.. ;)

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: shp4man on February 22, 2019, 09:34:30 PM
I agree with Wimmer. Some of the European governments are poorly run and based on faulty, idealistic beliefs. 

:hesaid:

Currently Western Europe is infested with Leftist-Green ideological assholes that want to save the world no matter what the cost - even if it means the literal destruction of our society, economy, well-fare etc. No wonder people are drawn to populist movements...

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Galaxy

Quote from: cawimmer430 on February 22, 2019, 01:55:07 AM

Criticisms of certain agendas are of course legit, but you are getting into dangerous waters with the whole "alternative" thing. I do not know why people develop such outright hate for a certain political entity based on a few policies.

Has Angela Merkel made some mistakes? Yes. At the end of the day however, after 14 Merkel years the country is in much better shape then it was before. There is basically full employment, and she has halved Germany's foreign debt. One of her best traits is that she is willing to do things that she knows are unpopular. There are soooooo many calls for her to spend money on on thing or another, and she has resounded with a simple "Nein" even if that increases the number of people running around with "Merkel has to go" signs. I call that character.

Quote from: shp4man on February 22, 2019, 09:34:30 PM
Some of the European governments are poorly run and based on faulty, idealistic beliefs. 

The problem is people hate when they get rid of faulty, idealistic beliefs.

Many of the southern EU countries have made significant reforms these last few years, they got rid many government programs that they quite frankly could no longer afford. And the results have actually been significat, the finances of countries like Spain and Greece are better then they have been in 50 years. The voters have punished the parties that made these reforms because they are upset that the gravy train has stopped running, and they are mad at the EU for forcing their countries to implement more sustainable finances.

Take a look at Italy. They elected a government that ran on a campaign of lowering taxes and more social programs. How is one supposed to run a campaign based on logic in that environment?

Galaxy

Quote from: cawimmer430 on February 23, 2019, 10:47:42 AM

Currently Western Europe is infested with Leftist-Green ideological assholes that want to save the world no matter what the cost - even if it means the literal destruction of our society, economy, well-fare etc. No wonder people are drawn to populist movements...

Come on, anno 2019 we are tearing down villages in Germany to stip mine lignite, what is leftist-green about that?

Some of the fall out from the diesel scandal is a bit excessive, but the fact of the matter is, the auto industry has completely dropped the ball. Today there are diesel cars that are far cleaner then demanded by current Euro 6d regulations. The Mercedes E220d would be allowed 168 mg of Nox per km in real life driving. Car magazines in independent tests are achieving 7.5 mg/km. There has been no breakthrough technology with diesel emissions in recent years. They made the choice to put polluting cars on the road. It was only after several courts banned the car that they stopped dragging their collective asses.

Apropos dieselgate: VW yesterday announced it's biggest profit ever. So, even though they have not yet gotten the final bill, it seems as though dieselgate will not be as devastating as initially thought. Still a shame though, they could have used that 80, or 100 Billion to make some really impressive cars, or leap frog battery technology.

12,000 RPM

I think Wimmer's problem is that people he disagrees with have political power. I'd wager that's what a lot of the bellyaching in politics comes down to these days.

r0tor

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Xer0

Wow, I wasn't expecting a review that scathing of the new 3er. 

12,000 RPM

Can't believe they didn't fix the bushings :facepalm:

Their description of the loosy goosy rear end mirrors my experience with the F30. What a shame

MexicoCityM3

Pretty bad review from C&D. Euro mags (as usual) like it a lot more calling it best-in-class again. It hasn't arrived at dealers here yet. I'll report when I drive one.

On another note, yesterday was the official start of production for the Mexican plant that is building the 3 series. We're building 35 cars per hour to start.

Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

MX793

I wonder if the RWD versions are a little sharper to drive.  IIRC, the AWD models were always a little less crisp in their responses.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

r0tor

So that's a good question.  In the F30 the mSport package on an xdrive car was nothing more then a bumper and wheels as BMW wouldn't sell you awd with a sport suspension. The G20 now lists the mSport suspension as part of the mSport package on xdrive cars.

They did briefly offer a Track Handling Package on the F30 that promised to sharpen things up (available on the xdrive) but it never reviewed all that well and were rarely sighted on dealer lots. I think they are eventually releasing the package for the G20.

But in the end of the day the problem is if you want your BMW to handle the way a BMW should, you have to cough up some serious $$$$ for the right package - something you don't need to do with some of their competitors
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

12,000 RPM

Or get a 2 series

G20 is just going with the tides of the segment, which overall is becoming less and less of a driver's choice. G20 is longer than the E39 in wheelbase

HurricaneSteve

Sadly isn't the 2 Series going to FWD?

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on April 02, 2019, 11:55:57 AM
Or get a 2 series

G20 is just going with the tides of the segment, which overall is becoming less and less of a driver's choice. G20 is longer than the E39 in wheelbase

Xer0

Quote from: HurricaneSteve on April 03, 2019, 12:46:44 PM
Sadly isn't the 2 Series going to FWD?

IIRC, just the 4 door Gran Coupe.  The 2 door normal coupe will stay RWD.  So real coupe, RWD, fake coupe, FWD/AWD.  In typical BMW fashion it makes no sense  :lol:

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: Xer0 on April 03, 2019, 12:58:54 PM
IIRC, just the 4 door Gran Coupe.  The 2 door normal coupe will stay RWD.  So real coupe, RWD, fake coupe, FWD/AWD.  In typical BMW fashion it makes no sense  :lol:

Correct.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

HurricaneSteve

Looks like they're axing the convertible as well.

Quote from: Xer0 on April 03, 2019, 12:58:54 PM