2020 Mercedes CLA Drops Some Camo, Gives Us A Peek Inside

Started by cawimmer430, November 05, 2018, 11:50:24 AM

cawimmer430

Even with the camouflage on, the proportions and the design look pretty good. I have a feeling it could look better than the A-Class Sedan (which to me looks better in hatchback form anyway - ok I am biased!).

Interior is similar to that of the new A-Class and B-Class.

2020 Mercedes CLA Drops Some Camo, Gives Us A Peek Inside

Anyone who was wondering why Mercedes felt the need to build a 4-door version of the A-Class alongside a brand new generation of the CLA, can now rest assured since it's become more obvious that the two models will not resemble each other all that much.

In fact, the new CLA easily reminds us of the latest CLS, making the term "baby CLS" quite adequate, despite the fact that it's already been thrown around for quite some time now.

Sleeker than your average A-Class

The all-new 2020 Mercedes-Benz CLA shares the same design language as the CLS, albeit on a smaller scale and with a few noticeable differences.

For example, the front end is nowhere near as aggressive-looking, seen as how those headlights are a bit bulbous towards their far edges, the exact opposite of what they look like on the CLS. The rear end design however is a lot more similar, as both models seem to feature similarly-shaped taillights.

Overall, while the new CLA is by no means a poor man's CLS, it should definitely stand out on its own as a more stylish alternative to the A-Class Sedan, which could actually be described as being more sporty.

Speaking of which, the CLA would have looked a lot more like the CLS had Mercedes given it the same headlights as those on the A-Class/A-Class Sedan. Of course, that would have created less of a separation between the two four-door compact models, which is probably why it didn't happen.

BabyCLS outside, A-Class inside

Even though this is the first actual look we get inside an all-new CLA prototype, the design of the dashboard is exactly what we were expecting, as we can confidently say that there's little to no need for covering anything up in there.

The circular turbine-style air vents are identical to the A-Class' in both shape and number, as are the climate control commands, dual-screen layout and even the door panels, we suspect. We do see a sporty Alcantara steering wheel, which is a bit odd since this prototype doesn't appear to be a hardcore AMG version.

As for power units, the 2020 CLA will share some of the A-Class' petrol and diesel options, although diesels will likely not make the trip Stateside. There are also rumblings of two different AMG versions in the AMG 35 and AMG 45, the former allegedly good for 306 PS (302 HP) and 400 Nm (295 lb-ft) of torque, while the latter producing upwards of 400 PS (394 HP).

Link: https://www.carscoops.com/2018/11/2020-mercedes-cla-drops-camo-gives-us-peak-inside/
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Submariner

2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

12,000 RPM

Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

BimmerM3

Hopefully it sucks a lot less than the outgoing model.

12,000 RPM

About as high a hurdle to clear as a broomstick laying on the floor.

cawimmer430

Quote from: Submariner on November 05, 2018, 12:37:07 PM
Wait, there is a CLA and an A class?

Yeah. I don't know why the A-Class Sedan exists or why a new CLA has to exist since the current CLA is essentially an A-Class Sedan. But MB claims the A-Class Sedan and CLA are going to be very different and "target difference consumers."

By the way, there are two types of A-Class Sedans. The normal wheel base version for most global markets...

And the LWB version for China.

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

Laconian

Quote from: cawimmer430 on November 06, 2018, 04:09:06 PM
Yeah. I don't know why the A-Class Sedan exists or why a new CLA has to exist since the current CLA is essentially an A-Class Sedan. But MB claims the A-Class Sedan and CLA are going to be very different and "target difference consumers."

By the way, there are two types of A-Class Sedans. The normal wheel base version for most global markets...

And the LWB version for China.

To me, CLX means "poser-class X class".
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

BimmerM3

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on November 05, 2018, 07:23:32 PM
About as high a hurdle to clear as a broomstick laying on the floor.

Yet someone at MB still decided that the outgoing model was worthy of production.

Submariner

Ah, so the CLA is to the A-class as the CLS is to the E-class...
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

12,000 RPM

Quote from: BimmerM3 on November 06, 2018, 05:17:19 PM
Yet someone at MB still decided that the outgoing model was worthy of production.
There was a market for them. Someone on TCL deems his to be the greatest car of all time. Whatever gets you through the financing period I guess.

Laconian

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on November 07, 2018, 09:46:35 AM
There was a market for them. Someone on TCL deems his to be the greatest car of all time. Whatever gets you through the financing period I guess.

LOL, really?
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

BimmerM3

Quote from: Laconian on November 07, 2018, 01:51:58 PM
LOL, really?

Eh, if you look hard enough, you can find a few fanboys for just about any vehicle.

I never actually drove one, but my step-sister had one because she worked for MB at the time and got an absurdly good lease deal, so I rode in it a few times. I'd definitely rather have a fully loaded mainstream compact.

cawimmer430

Quote from: Laconian on November 06, 2018, 04:46:19 PM
To me, CLX means "poser-class X class".

In some markets people are literally "forced" to buy smaller cars for various reasons. The LWB A-Class Sedan is a neat idea for China where you can essentially get a LWB C-Class and E-Class. Every market is unique.

In my case I would have loved a C-Class Wagon, but it won't fit into my parking spot. I was also looking at a used CLA Shooting Brake, but it's half a meter longer than my 1er which makes parking it a problem.

I needed a car that had the same dimensions as the 1er, offered more space and was also somewhat fun to drive. The new A-Class ticked all the right boxes.

www.wimmerfotografie.de