Started by 12,000 RPM, November 28, 2018, 12:48:20 PM

12,000 RPM

Audi's Model S fighter.

This is what the fuck I'm talking about
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

2o6

Is this a concept or production car?

Payman

Jesus, that is pretty spectacular. Tesla might as well concentrate on big rigs and spaceships.

Payman

Love the name too... e-Tron GT. Fuck yeah.  :rockon:

BimmerM3

Looks great for the most part. A few bits are slightly overstyled, but compared to a lot of other vehicles out there these days, it's pretty tame.

Seems like it would make more sense to make it a hatchback with a cargo cover than use a smallish trunk lid that requires a break in the pretend rear window.

Galaxy

Hmm, don't like it.

Based on the Porsche Taycan 800V architecture.

SJ_GTI

Looks great, but I am guessing this will be more Tesla Roadster money than Tesla Model S money.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: 2o6 on November 28, 2018, 12:52:57 PM
Is this a concept or production car?
Guessing concept by the lack of door handles

However the production Taycan this shares a platform with pretty much has these proportions with real life wheels/details

It's like Audi's design team just quit #NoFapNovember :lol:

Hopefully this signals a new design direction for Audi... they have been in a rut

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

cawimmer430

BADASS. TOUGH.

And also SEXY.

Wow!  :mask: :rockon:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

MexicoCityM3

Great. But.....I've already lost count of Audi's electric concepts that never happen or get delayed forever.

(This is a concept)
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

r0tor

Finally an Audi that actually looks new!
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

12,000 RPM

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on November 28, 2018, 03:43:44 PM
Great. But.....I've already lost count of Audi's electric concepts that never happen or get delayed forever.

(This is a concept)
This and that SUV they showed earlier feel different. I think these are coming really soon

giant_mtb

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on November 28, 2018, 01:17:22 PM
Guessing concept by the lack of door handles

However the production Taycan this shares a platform with pretty much has these proportions with real life wheels/details

It's like Audi's design team just quit #NoFapNovember :lol:

Hopefully this signals a new design direction for Audi... they have been in a rut

Porsche's 4-door coupe sedan things have just never looked right to me. Bleh.

Payman

Quote from: giant_mtb on November 28, 2018, 07:27:17 PM
Porsche's 4-door coupe sedan things have just never looked right to me. Bleh.

Me either. They're stuck on 911 design themes, which doesn't translate well to a sedan. Or an SUV for that matter.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Rockraven on November 28, 2018, 07:30:57 PM
Me either. They're stuck on 911 design themes, which doesn't translate well to a sedan. Or an SUV for that matter.

And people say Audi is lazy/repetitive/unimaginative/whatever when it comes to design...woof.  At least their vehicles look right for what they are.

Payman

Quote from: giant_mtb on November 28, 2018, 07:52:17 PM
And people say Audi is lazy/repetitive/unimaginative/whatever when it comes to design...woof.  At least their vehicles look right for what they are.

Audi design peaked around 2008-12. Then they started adding sharp creases and blockiness. The R8 and TT lost a lot of their design appeal, IMHO, and the latest A6  :zzz:. But this e-tron is looking pretty good.

Galaxy

I guess I belong to the minority who thinks the Porsche Taycan looks better, and this is a busy ensemble of creases. Still, after careful consideration:

giant_mtb

The Taycan looks like 2 or 3 cars mashed into one.

12,000 RPM

I prefer this to the Taycan as well.... however the recent cleanup of the Panamera really worked

I do think Porsche's "911 all the things" approach is pretty lazy. But most luxury brands have been in a design rut for a decade or so. Mercedes is the only company seeming to make any effort

red_shift

Heh. Big fucking deal. No nationewide supercharger network. Tesla fighter indeed. More like Tesla wannabe. No dent in Tesla sales!

I welcome it, though. You guys just don't get it. ICE is dead. Dead. I will give you 20 years. Prepare to Rest In Peace. Good riddance complex, noisy, inefficient, slow, and polluting systems.

Welcome clean, simple, powerful, silent systems.

Adapt, or DIE. Simple.

Future is electric

2018 Light Blue wrapped Tesla Model 3
2013 Dark blue Tesla Model S

All electric, no compromises!

cawimmer430

In German car magazines they like to point out the "vegan cockpit" which makes use of zero animal products, hence the cloth seats.

I found that interesting and it never occurred to me that this could be a selling point for some people.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Submariner

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on November 29, 2018, 05:11:58 AM
I prefer this to the Taycan as well.... however the recent cleanup of the Panamera really worked

I do think Porsche's "911 all the things" approach is pretty lazy. But most luxury brands have been in a design rut for a decade or so. Mercedes is the only company seeming to make any effort
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

12,000 RPM

Quote from: red_shift on December 28, 2018, 02:26:59 AM
Heh. Big fucking deal. No nationewide supercharger network. Tesla fighter indeed. More like Tesla wannabe. No dent in Tesla sales!

I welcome it, though. You guys just don't get it. ICE is dead. Dead. I will give you 20 years. Prepare to Rest In Peace. Good riddance complex, noisy, inefficient, slow, and polluting systems.

Adapt, or DIE. Simple.
No, ICE will definitely still be around in 20 years... most likely still the majority of cars on the road

Lets do some very simple math. There are over 1 billion cars on the road- let's say 1 billion ICE cars. In 2017 there were 79 million cars sold. Of those, 1 million were EVs, which was considered a good year for EVs. So to replace every car on the road with an EV in 20 years, they would need to sell 50x as many starting in 2019. IOW 2/3 of every car sold in the world would have to be an EV, starting right now.

Or maybe more realistically, starting in 2025 or so, ICE sales would have to end. Volkswagen themselves said they plan to end ICE development (NOT SALES) in 2040. What do you know that they don't?

Fanboys are the bane of society.

Submariner

Adapt, or DIE. Simple.

Sure, there is no nationwide network, but I suspect that for the time being, the inherent range of the vehicle will do just fine.

I'm a bit of a Musk fanboy, and I do like Tesla, but Tesla still has a long way to go.  Paint quality and panel gap alignment on numerous Model's X and 3 are terrible.  Doors are visibly misaligned, the top of the door jam is noticeably closer to the front wing than the bottom of it, etc.  The interiors are undoubtedly inferior to Audi, too.  That matters a lot to someone spending 60k+ on a new car.  Add into that equation a well established network of professional Audi dealerships across the country (I haven't heard a lot of flattering things about Tesla dealerships), and the e-tron makes for a very compelling competitor.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

2o6

Red_shift, why would you want a monopoly of just one single manufacturer making electric cars

GoCougs

Adapt, or DIE. Simple.

"They" said the same thing about hybrids, and here we are, ~20 years later, and hybrids aren't much of anything, and it's still only Toyota hybrids that anyone buys.

I predict the same with EVs. Like hybrids, EVs are sorta interesting, but when examined with logic, the value proposition - financial and environmental - just isn't there.

EVs' only path, beyond irrational and/or mistaken exuberance, is convenience. Can charge from home most times and EVs in theory should be far lower maintenance (Teslas have been a disaster in that regard).

giant_mtb

Adapt, or DIE. Simple.

"ICE is dead." :lol:

Tell me that when your power goes out and an ICE is keeping your fridge or lights on. Tell me that next time you utilize any kind of boat that isn't tiny or a sailboat.  Tell that to the nearly $200 billion rail freight industry (not to mention the $700 billion trucking industry...all ICE). Tell that to, uh, fucking airplanes.  Tell me the ICE is dead when you realize that your house has power because of NG generators.  Tell me that the ICE is dead when, and only when, you do not rely on them for anything in your life. Because you do, whether you realize it or not.

FoMoJo

Quote from: giant_mtb on December 28, 2018, 11:50:09 AM
"ICE is dead." :lol:

Tell me that when your power goes out and an ICE is keeping your fridge or lights on. Tell me that next time you utilize any kind of boat that isn't tiny or a sailboat.  Tell that to the nearly $200 billion rail freight industry (not to mention the $700 billion trucking industry...all ICE). Tell that to, uh, fucking airplanes.  Tell me the ICE is dead when you realize that your house has power because of NG generators.  Tell me that the ICE is dead when, and only when, you do not rely on them for anything in your life. Because you do, whether you realize it or not.
Ayn Rand's static engines? :huh:
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."