Canada Gets 2019 Mercedes A-Class Hatch, The U.S. Does Not

Started by cawimmer430, February 06, 2019, 04:32:01 AM

cawimmer430

So that's how my new A250 AMG Line will look in North American-spec trim!

Canada is getting the A250 (FWD) and A250 4Matic (AWD) whereas the US only gets the A220 Sedan/A220 4Matic Sedan. The '220 motor is also available in Canada. Gotta say, I absolutely love the '250 engine. It's smooth, torquey, responsive, incredibly powerful and also gets good fuel economy (even without using start-stop). MB really nailed it with the new A-Class. Everytime I drive mine it feels so good, premium and right. :ohyeah:

Fans of premium compact hatchbacks aren't exactly spoiled for choice in the United States, their only options being the Audi A3 Sportback e-tron, Mini Clubman, and Infiniti QX30.

In this context, it can be frustrating to see that Canada is getting the new Mercedes-Benz A-Class hatchback while the United States is not. So yes, Canadian buyers have been able to order themselves a brand new 2019 A-Class hatchback since November 2018.

Now, MBPassionBlog reports the model has arrived at Mercedes' Canadian dealers in two configurations — the A250 and A250 4Matic. Both are powered by a 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder gasoline engine producing 221 hp (224 PS) at 5,500 rpm and 258 lb-ft of torque between 1,800 and 4,000 rpm.

Linked to a standard 7G-DCT automatic transmission, the engine drives the front wheels in the standard model and all four wheels in the A250 4Matic. The A250 starts at C$35,990 (about $27,500 in U.S. currency) while the A250 4Matic is priced from C$37,990 (approximately $29,000). The prices don't include tax and delivery costs.

So what do Canadian customers get for their money? Quite a lot, as it turns out. The standard spec sheet includes a panoramic glass sunroof, LED headlights and taillights, 17-inch alloys, Artico upholstery, heated front seats (power adjustable with memory function for the driver), Thermotronic automatic climate control, 7-inch MBUX infotainment system, rearview camera, Dynamic Select and much more.

Canadian buyers who want more features can choose between five packages (Premium Package, Navigation Package, Sport Package, Technology Package, and Night Package). Several standalone options are also available.

Like in the United States, the A-Class sedan is also available in Canada in A220 and A220 4Matic configurations.

Link: https://www.carscoops.com/2019/02/canada-gets-2019-mercedes-class-hatch-u-s-not/
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

FoMoJo

I expect to see quite a few of them turning up in my neighbourhood.  People here love the three-pointed star.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

BimmerM3

Oh good, now the A Class and CLA are even more redundant. :facepalm: :lol:

Payman

On the BMW Canada site, the 2019 BMW 230i with manual and 248 hp starts at $38,450. Apples and oranges I know, but that's the $40k car for me, not a 5 door hatch.

12,000 RPM

I mean I'm sure an F-150 starts at around that price too. Different strokes for different folks
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Payman

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on February 06, 2019, 11:12:59 AM
I mean I'm sure an F-150 starts at around that price too. Different strokes for different folks

Right. So why mention a fullsize pickup truck when we're talking about compact German cars?

SJ_GTI

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Rockraven on February 06, 2019, 11:16:47 AM
Right. So why mention a fullsize pickup truck when we're talking about compact German cars?
You said apples and oranges :lol:

My point was someone looking at this was not interested in a 2 series in the first place. Like cross shopping a Lexus ES and Audi A5 Sportback

BimmerM3

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on February 06, 2019, 02:08:57 PM

My point was someone looking at this was not interested in a 2 series in the first place. Like cross shopping a Lexus ES and Audi A5 Sportback

Bruh I'm cross shopping a whole bunch of seemingly unrelated cars. You never know. :lol:

Even if they're different shapes, they're both entry-level luxury cars from two of the biggest names in the segment at roughly the same price. 

SJ_GTI

I mean, I test drove a 2-series when I was buying, and I settled on a car that is very similar to this.

FWIW I thought the S3 and Golf R were both more fun than the 228xi I drove.

MexicoCityM3

We get the A200 and A250 hatches here too. No sedan yet, maybe later.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

93JC

Quote from: cawimmer430 on February 06, 2019, 04:32:01 AM

Fans of premium compact hatchbacks aren’t exactly spoiled for choice in the United States, their only options being the Audi A3 Sportback e-tron, Mini Clubman, and Infiniti QX30.

They get the Infiniti QX30, but don't get the Mercedes-Benz GLA?  :confused:

EDIT: mbusa.com says they do. Maybe carscoops considers the GLA to be a "premium compact ess-you-vee" rather than a "premium compact hatchback", despite the QX30 and GLA being quite literally the same car with different badges. Dumb.

CALL_911

Truth is, that shit happens all the time. I feel like a huge number of people I know cross shop very, very different shit. Often, people cross shop categories just as they would products within a given category.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Payman

Thank goodness I'm not the only one. It's not always "cross-shopping can only be the exact body types across marques". For me it could be as simple as a personal car that's a bit sporty, and a bit luxurious. I might check out a used Corvette one day, a brand new BMW 230i the next, a used Boxster, and maybe even the Merc A250. I could realise I don't need the extra room for shit, or maybe I like the way the Merc drives the best. Most of the time for me it's budget driven. What will make me happiest for this amount of $$$?

BimmerM3

Quote from: Rockraven on February 06, 2019, 04:03:58 PM
Thank goodness I'm not the only one. It's not always "cross-shopping can only be the exact body types across marques". For me it could be as simple as a personal car that's a bit sporty, and a bit luxurious. I might check out a used Corvette one day, a brand new BMW 230i the next, a used Boxster, and maybe even the Merc A250. I could realise I don't need the extra room for shit, or maybe I like the way the Merc drives the best. Most of the time for me it's budget driven. What will make me happiest for this amount of $$$?

And then throw some budget flexibility into the mix... "well, I'd like to keep it under $25k but if I really can't find anything I'm happy with I could bump it up to $30k"

12,000 RPM

Sidebar, we will get the A class hatch... they will just call it the GLA.

Xer0

Quote from: Rockraven on February 06, 2019, 04:03:58 PM

Personally, my 2019 car shopping list contains a Civic Type R, a Genesis G70 Sport, and the best 2 series I can buy for 40K which looks like a year old M235.  All 6 speeds of course.  I get it.

cawimmer430

Saw this yesterday! Damn, my car looks good.  :wub:

If it were Polar White and had the Night Package it would look like mine. Those are my summer wheels.  :wub:

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: BimmerM3 on February 06, 2019, 09:46:21 AM
Oh good, now the A Class and CLA are even more redundant. :facepalm: :lol:

If we're talking A-Class Sedan and CLA, then I agree with you. :lol:

But according to MB marketing the CLA is a 4-door coupe and the A-Class Sedan is a... Sedan.  :tounge:

www.wimmerfotografie.de