GTCC 836 - Come on, people!

Started by cawimmer430, April 08, 2013, 07:09:13 AM

93JC

I'm not saying it's impossible that this was front-wheel-drive, just very unlikely considering everything ZIL had ever done before was rear-wheel-drive and the Soviets had only started making front-wheel-drive cars in the mid 1980s. I think the Lada Samara or the Moskvitch 'Aleko' was first. I find it hard to believe they'd make the leap from crappy little front-drive econoboxes to big front-drive limousines in three or four years.

But hey, maybe it did happen. If it did I wouldn't be surprised to find a knock-off version of a transmission from an Eldorado/Toronado/Riviera underneath it.

cawimmer430

The Soviets in those days had access to Fiat technology and Fiat was already churning out FWD cars in late 1969 - the Fiat 128. And I am sure FWD was also seen as "revolutionary" in the Soviet Union, especially since virtually all the cars sold in that market were at the time RWD. East Germany and several other communist nations in the Eastern Block also produced FWD cars.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie