Big(ish) 2-row SUVs

Started by Morris Minor, September 17, 2020, 10:52:30 AM

Morris Minor

You want to buy an SUV. You want a bit of space, a bit of elbow room, a center console with a bit of width.
But you don't want any interior space wasted by a vestigial third row of seats, that you will never, ever use.
CX-5s are too cramped. CX-9s lug around the third-row appendage
CR-Vs are too cramped. Pilots lug around the third-row appendage

It's probably ignorance but I don't see too many mainstream two-row SUVs that are in the Goldilocks middle-sized zone. There are any number above & below... but the choice is limited in this niche.
Lots of blurred lines here but, off the top of my head:
Honda Passport
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Ford Edge (Lincoln Nautilus)
Hyundai Santa Fe
Chevy Blazer
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Speed_Racer

Not technically an SUV, but Outback?

r0tor

Why do you want to buy an SUV?  That sort of helps narrow down the small list
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

MX793

Toyota Venza / Lexus RX?
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

FoMoJo

Quote from: Morris Minor on September 17, 2020, 10:52:30 AM
You want to buy an SUV. You want a bit of space, a bit of elbow room, a center console with a bit of width.
But you don't want any interior space wasted by a vestigial third row of seats, that you will never, ever use.
CX-5s are too cramped. CX-9s lug around the third-row appendage
CR-Vs are too cramped. Pilots lug around the third-row appendage

It's probably ignorance but I don't see too many mainstream two-row SUVs that are in the Goldilocks middle-sized zone. There are any number above & below... but the choice is limited in this niche.
Lots of blurred lines here but, off the top of my head:
Honda Passport
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Ford Edge (Lincoln Nautilus)
Hyundai Santa Fe
Chevy Blazer
Mid-size is definitely the way to go for a SUV.  The extra width, compared to CR-V and Escape sizes makes a big difference, especially for old codgers like us.

I would add Land Rover Discovery Sport HSE to your list if you might be considering something with a hint of luxury.  Ours has been flawless approaching 4 years. 
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Morris Minor

Quote from: r0tor on September 17, 2020, 12:34:15 PM
Why do you want to buy an SUV?  That sort of helps narrow down the small list
My CR-V is coming up to three years. It's uncomfortable enough and has enough design issues, principal of which is the 1.5T oil dilution thing, to prompt a replacement. So I'm sniffing around for something with a bit more width & refinement.

The Edge and the Grand Cherokee are ideal for the size segment & it occurred to me that there aren't to many others in that slot.

Morris Minor

Quote from: FoMoJo on September 17, 2020, 05:03:28 PM
Mid-size is definitely the way to go for a SUV.  The extra width, compared to CR-V and Escape sizes makes a big difference, especially for old codgers like us.
This... exactly.

Quote from: FoMoJo on September 17, 2020, 05:03:28 PM
I would add Land Rover Discovery Sport HSE to your list if you might be considering something with a hint of luxury.  Ours has been flawless approaching 4 years. 
Thanks I add it to my list.

Laconian

You might want to look at the CX-30? It might be "below" the CX-5 in terms of size, but a car's feeling of spaciousness/crampedness is only loosely coupled to its exterior footprint (see Hummer as a pathological example.) Reviews on it have been pretty effusive.

https://www.caranddriver.com/mazda/cx-30
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Eye of the Tiger

Gotta-Qik-C7

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

r0tor

Quote from: Morris Minor on September 17, 2020, 06:23:41 PM
My CR-V is coming up to three years. It's uncomfortable enough and has enough design issues, principal of which is the 1.5T oil dilution thing, to prompt a replacement. So I'm sniffing around for something with a bit more width & refinement.

The Edge and the Grand Cherokee are ideal for the size segment & it occurred to me that there aren't to many others in that slot.

Grand Cherokee is great if you want to do some offroading and driving in lots of snow/ice.  The Edge is probably better if you never go off paved roads and can skip a blizzard - it rides and handles just a bit better than the Jeep... But will never really be fun as it's FWD based.

If you want to have fun, test drive a Stelvio.  9/10th the fun of a proper sports sedan.  RWD most of the time.  Alfa is also conservative on how they do interior luggage space so it is a lot better in that aspect than the specs suggest.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

AutobahnSHO

Saw a Stelvio in person yesterday, white, in SC of all places (LOL). Very handsome!
Will

MrH

Quote from: Morris Minor on September 17, 2020, 06:23:41 PM

I'm finding the Outback is the perfect size.  Doesn't feel massive to drive around, but very comfortable for 4 people plus tons of luggage.  I prefer the cargo area shape vs the others you're listing.  It's not as tall, same width, but much longer.  Just a much more usable shape.

CVT sucks, infotainment is much improved with the latest update.  NVH and ride comfort is pretty unmatched right now.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

CaminoRacer

Quote from: MrH on September 18, 2020, 09:23:46 AM
I'm finding the Outback is the perfect size.  Doesn't feel massive to drive around, but very comfortable for 4 people plus tons of luggage.  I prefer the cargo area shape vs the others you're listing.  It's not as tall, same width, but much longer.  Just a much more usable shape.

CVT sucks, infotainment is much improved with the latest update.  NVH and ride comfort is pretty unmatched right now.

+1

Subaru just needs to put a 10 speed auto in it. That'd be a sweet ride with a 6 cylinder and 8/10 speed auto.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

MrH

Quote from: CaminoRacer on September 18, 2020, 09:32:43 AM
+1

Subaru just needs to put a 10 speed auto in it. That'd be a sweet ride with a 6 cylinder and 8/10 speed auto.

You're in Utah now!  You should appreciate the switch to the 2.4 turbo.

CVT isn't great.  The groan under acceleration sounds like the car is in agony, but for the 99% of the time that I'm just cruising on a highway or putt putting around town, it's fine.  The manual mode is laughably bad.  It just makes everything worse :lol:
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

CaminoRacer

Quote from: MrH on September 18, 2020, 10:02:31 AM
You're in Utah now!  You should appreciate the switch to the 2.4 turbo.

CVT isn't great.  The groan under acceleration sounds like the car is in agony, but for the 99% of the time that I'm just cruising on a highway or putt putting around town, it's fine.  The manual mode is laughably bad.  It just makes everything worse :lol:

Oh, yeah the turbo 4 cylinder is good. The base 4 cylinder? No thx.

I'd be interested in a Crosstrek if they put the turbo 4 in it.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

AutobahnSHO

Forester too? Not sure how it compares size wise.
Will

Laconian

Foresters are comparable from a size and utility POV, but the extra money you spend on Outbacks goes toward refinement.

+1 on the Outback too. They're kind of a Goldilocks SUV. They're not quite as tall, but they're longer, and length is a dimension that's more useful for people and cargo.

r0tor

I could never buy an automobile with a CVT

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: r0tor on September 18, 2020, 11:27:05 AM
I could never buy an automobile with a CVT

CVTs are for scooters and snowmobiles.

Laconian

CVTs are fine for SUVs. They will barrel roll when you have too much fun, anyway.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Laconian on September 18, 2020, 01:02:02 PM
CVTs are fine for SUVs. They will barrel roll when you have too much fun, anyway.

Except they are too heavy and CVTs burn up because they are always slipping.

Laconian

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on September 18, 2020, 01:15:15 PM
Except they are too heavy and CVTs burn up because they are always slipping.

There are fewer friction parts in a CVT than an AT, no?

FoMoJo

Quote from: Laconian on September 18, 2020, 01:25:12 PM
Aren't CVTa basically one long pair of friction parts (cones)?
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Laconian

Quote from: FoMoJo on September 18, 2020, 01:41:58 PM
Aren't CVTa basically one long pair of friction parts (cones)?

They slip laterally, but there aren't any clutches.

r0tor

Quote from: Laconian on September 18, 2020, 01:25:12 PM

CTVs generate tons of heat.  An AT gearbox does not (except for the torque converter when not locked and slipping)

Laconian

Quote from: r0tor on September 18, 2020, 02:52:17 PM
CTVs generate tons of heat.  An AT gearbox does not (except for the torque converter when not locked and slipping)

Well, heat's a dead ringer for friction...

Morris Minor

Quote from: Laconian on September 18, 2020, 11:15:49 AM
Foresters are comparable from a size and utility POV, but the extra money you spend on Outbacks goes toward refinement.

+1 on the Outback too. They're kind of a Goldilocks SUV. They're not quite as tall, but they're longer, and length is a dimension that's more useful for people and cargo.
You told me to get an Outback way back. I went with the CR-V. Shoulda listened to Laconian.

I'm pretty sure CVT heat was the root cause of the Honda's cascading error messages when I was climbing one of the mountains here a few weeks back.

Laconian

The CR-V WOULD have been a really nice vehicle if it weren't for the Earth Nightmares engine.