The "How Fast Did You Drive Today" Thread

Started by cawimmer430, February 21, 2011, 09:32:53 AM

dazzleman

Quote from: FoMoJo on May 26, 2019, 07:16:46 AM
That'll work as well. :ohyeah:  Just don't lose your license.

Haha, I don't drive fast enough for that.  Another reason I don't hit 100 mph.  I like to manage risk.... :lol:

I honestly don't know how people manage to take pictures of their speedometers while they're driving.  I can't see myself fumbling with the phone while driving at high speed.  Like most men, I'm a bad multi-tasker.  If I had another person in the car, I could ask him/her to take the picture, but I'll only have my dog and I can hardly ask her. :lol:

I just like the shot of adrenaline that I got from the sensation of speed and the knowledge that I am exceeding the speed limit by a wide margin.  I don't know why it's so satisfying but it is, and I have never outgrown it.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

FoMoJo

Quote from: dazzleman on May 26, 2019, 08:09:16 AM
Haha, I don't drive fast enough for that.  Another reason I don't hit 100 mph.  I like to manage risk.... :lol:

I honestly don't know how people manage to take pictures of their speedometers while they're driving.  I can't see myself fumbling with the phone while driving at high speed.  Like most men, I'm a bad multi-tasker.  If I had another person in the car, I could ask him/her to take the picture, but I'll only have my dog and I can hardly ask her. :lol:

I just like the shot of adrenaline that I got from the sensation of speed and the knowledge that I am exceeding the speed limit by a wide margin.  I don't know why it's so satisfying but it is, and I have never outgrown it.
Must be the adrenaline rush.  Last time I had an adrenaline rush was when I managed to avoid a collision that might've seriously damaged me.  I felt energized and focused for a couple of hours afterwards, but I don't get much of an opportunity for speeding anymore. 
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

dazzleman

Quote from: FoMoJo on May 26, 2019, 09:52:09 AM
Must be the adrenaline rush.  Last time I had an adrenaline rush was when I managed to avoid a collision that might've seriously damaged me.  I felt energized and focused for a couple of hours afterwards, but I don't get much of an opportunity for speeding anymore.

Interesting.  I'm not sure if something that scary would have given me an adrenaline rush.  I guess it''s hard to know without it actually happening.  Back to when I was a teenager, I have gotten an adrenaline rush either from doing something mildly dangerous, or doing something in deliberate defiance of a clear rule, with the knowledge that I could get into trouble for what I was doing.  By all outward appearances, I was a "good" kid but as I moved into my mid teens, I increasingly got the urge to be "bad" because it seemed to be seemed much more fun than following the rules.  Of course, what passed for bad in my universe was pretty mild.

Back then, I would never have imagined that such things would still appeal to me as I was approaching retirement,  but the reality is that little has changed.  I used to like to blow through toll booths without paying, but now I only speed or pull an occasional illegal u-turn.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

FoMoJo

Quote from: dazzleman on May 26, 2019, 06:29:50 PM
Interesting.  I'm not sure if something that scary would have given me an adrenaline rush.  I guess it''s hard to know without it actually happening.  Back to when I was a teenager, I have gotten an adrenaline rush either from doing something mildly dangerous, or doing something in deliberate defiance of a clear rule, with the knowledge that I could get into trouble for what I was doing.  By all outward appearances, I was a "good" kid but as I moved into my mid teens, I increasingly got the urge to be "bad" because it seemed to be seemed much more fun than following the rules.  Of course, what passed for bad in my universe was pretty mild.

Back then, I would never have imagined that such things would still appeal to me as I was approaching retirement,  but the reality is that little has changed.  I used to like to ow through toll booths without paying, but now I only speed or pull an occasional illegal u-turn.
Well, once you retire, you'll have a lot more time on your hands to get up to no good. :lol:
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

dazzleman

Quote from: FoMoJo on May 26, 2019, 07:28:51 PM
Well, once you retire, you'll have a lot more time on your hands to get up to no good. :lol:

Haha, I was joking with my buddy about that the other day.  I said that maybe I'd just go out every day, get on the highway, and really put the hammer down... :lol:

I guess everybody has some kind of vice.  I don't like gambling, excessive drinking or drugs, so speeding is my vice.  I went to a business dinner with 2 other guys a couple of weeks ago, and it was funny to find that they are of like mind. We had some laughs swapping stories.

cawimmer430

Pushed Priscilla to 180 km/h today, heavy traffic and speed limits on this Autobahn so I generally cruised between 120-130 km/h. And in the second photo you can see my fuel economy. My trip took 30 minutes of which I spent 20 minutes on the Autobahn generally cruising (and about 2 min. at 180 km/h). The last 10 minutes are stop-and-go traffic in the city with Start-Stop deactivated, which explains why the fuel economy would blow. Overall fuel economy for this 30 min. trip was still 7.1 L / 100 km (34 mpg), not bad at all.

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

dazzleman

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: dazzleman on June 02, 2019, 08:06:27 AM
93 mph on the trip back from Boston.

Wasn't that that normal flow of traffic? :lol: :devil:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

FoMoJo

Quote from: dazzleman on June 02, 2019, 08:06:27 AM
93 mph on the trip back from Boston.
You'll do better next time. :praise:  100 mph isn't that far away.

dazzleman

Quote from: FoMoJo on June 02, 2019, 08:38:28 AM
You'll do better next time. :praise:  100 mph isn't that far away.

:lol:  I also made it home in exactly 2 hours, beating my previous record of 2 hours and 5 minutes.  The trip is 153 miles.

I don't expect to actually hit 100 mph.

Just before I was ready to exit I-90 for I-84, I thought I was going to get nailed.  I was going about 85 mph when I saw a statie on the median, aimed toward the traffic from the other direction.   Suddenly a trooper was in the lane right behind me.  At that point, I was going 80 mph.  I moved over a lane and he just passed me.

MexicoCityM3

Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

FoMoJo

MexicoCityM3

Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

cawimmer430

Playing chauffeur for my dad in his E350 CGI. Hit 160 km/h a few kilometers later when the 80 km/h speed limit was cancelled.

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

Speed_Racer

Today on a long, straight Utah back road.

Eye of the Tiger

dazzleman

shp4man

I took the old '65 C10 up through the mountain roads east of San Diego today. Little two lane stuff, no traffic, scenic as hell, curvy. Just FYI a 54 year old work truck isn't much of a corner carver. ;)  But it was great!
I love that old truck. Need to rebuild the transmission. And maybe re jet the Rochester B, anyway, top speed...56 MPH! Today, anyway. It may actually go 85 or 90. but I'm not pushing my luck.

Eye of the Tiger

My 32 year old work truck can, and has done 85 MPH. Today, I had it up to 65. With the AC running.

shp4man

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on June 22, 2019, 08:30:10 PM
My 32 year old work truck can, and has done 85 MPH. Today, I had it up to 65. With the AC running.

Ha. Modern shit. Fooey!  :fogey:

FoMoJo

Quote from: Speed_Racer on June 22, 2019, 05:53:42 PM
Today on a long, straight Utah back road.

:ohyeah:

Glad there were no low flying birds in your path.

cawimmer430

Not very fast. I call this slow cruising...  :tounge:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

dazzleman

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: dazzleman on December 01, 2019, 08:19:11 AM
I hit 91 mph today on the Mass Pike.

So you're saying you were holding up traffic? I bet you left your blinker on, too. :evildude:

shp4man

31 MPH on the mountain bike, downhill (on pavement) on the way to a nice, deserted, unpaved road.
So far.

cawimmer430

Quote from: dazzleman on December 01, 2019, 08:19:11 AM
I hit 91 mph today on the Mass Pike.

Man, such pussy wussy grandpa speeds. Pathetic.  :evildude: :devil:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Don't be fooled by the empty road ahead. Around the corner is a 120 km/h speed limit, so why waste more fuel...

www.wimmerfotografie.de

AutobahnSHO

Today just boring. Once this week 80 in a 40 zone.
Will

cawimmer430

From December 16th with the rental CLA180. Had it up to 200 km/h later, still room for more speed.

www.wimmerfotografie.de