The Official Sixth Gen Camaro Thread!

Started by Gotta-Qik-C7, January 19, 2015, 06:37:04 PM

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on May 02, 2019, 06:41:42 PM
Eh, just put the V8 in a Spark and charge me $20K. I'll stagger my own wheels. :lol:
:lol:
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Payman

It's good that GM tweaked the front end design a bit, but it's still ugly. Pony car fans don't go for Honda/Toyota boy racer weirdness in design. That's why the Challenger is still outselling it.

MX793

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-C6 on May 02, 2019, 06:34:41 PM
It's only a couple grand cheaper than the SS (and doesn't have staggered wheels). Why not slash the base price of the SS and call it a day!

I'm going to assume there's some other SS level content/hardware that's not there.  I get the impression this is a LT trim Camaro with the V8.  So I expect it doesn't get the SS's extra chassis bracing, larger brakes, suspension upgrades, etc...
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

GoCougs

GM was under no delusion that moving the 6th gen Camaro upmarket WRT to the Mustang and Challenger would result in fewer sales.

The Camaro also has fewer fleet sales than either - the Mustang is very popular with rental fleets.

My hunch is the Camaro has equal or better retail market share than the other two (i.e., profitability, which is the name of the game).

12,000 RPM

Total overall profit is the name of the game and I'd bet the Mustang is comfortably ahead when its all said and done.

Like its Caddy branded Alpha stablemates the Camaro improved things its prospective buyers generally don't give a shit about at the expense of things they do. That it's being outsold (albeit just barely now) by the ancient, massive and ponderous Challenger speaks to this
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: MX793 on May 03, 2019, 08:03:34 AM
I'm going to assume there's some other SS level content/hardware that's not there.  I get the impression this is a LT trim Camaro with the V8.  So I expect it doesn't get the SS's extra chassis bracing, larger brakes, suspension upgrades, etc...
I'm not sure! The only thing I've read (Performance wise) that's different is the wheel sizes

MX793

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-C6 on May 06, 2019, 07:27:19 PM
I'm not sure! The only thing I've read (Performance wise) that's different is the wheel sizes

There's no way they are cutting the price that much with wheels and tires.  Besides the engine, the main differences between a 1SS and 1LT are the SS's Brembo brakes, extra chassis bracing, and extra coolers.  Cutting those is where the cost savings is coming from.  The "LT1" trim will basically stack up against the non-PP Mustang in terms of performance hardware.  Normal brakes, no extra chassis bracing, no extra coolers, all-season tires...
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: MX793 on May 06, 2019, 07:39:12 PM
There's no way they are cutting the price that much with wheels and tires.  Besides the engine, the main differences between a 1SS and 1LT are the SS's Brembo brakes, extra chassis bracing, and extra coolers.  Cutting those is where the cost savings is coming from.  The "LT1" trim will basically stack up against the non-PP Mustang in terms of performance hardware.  Normal brakes, no extra chassis bracing, no extra coolers, all-season tires...
That's true! We shall see...

Gotta-Qik-C7

12,000 RPM

Daaaaaamn homie.....

https://www.musclecarsandtrucks.com/exclusive-seventh-generation-chevrolet-camaro-shelved/

QuoteThe current Camaro, the sixth-generation model, utilizes the dynamic Alpha platform that the Cadillac ATS and CTS utilized. Both are being discontinued, and will be replaced by the Cadillac CT4 and CT5, which utilize an updated version of the Alpha platform, called A2XX. Both the Camaro and the two Cadillac passenger cars mentioned are/will be built at the Lansing Grand River Assembly Plant in central Michigan.

Sources tell us that the Camaro will not transition to the A2XX platform, and 2023 is as far as the vehicle is charted out. Then nothing.

This kind of hiatus happened to the storied nameplate previously, where the last of the fourth-generation Camaros rolled off the assembly line in 2002. All was quiet until 2006, when Chevrolet revived the Camaro name on a concept car, which left people ecstatic. That concept car eventually came to be the extremely popular fifth-generation Camaro, which restarted Camaro production in 2009, the year GM filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy.

The Camaro may win comparos, but the Rustang remains the better car, which is all that really matters for the bottom line. Maybe GM will get it right next time...

CaminoRacer

GM is a great engineering company but horrible at project management.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

GoCougs

So how is this horrible project management? It's more a product management issue. And really, given the rapidly changing automotive landscape, who can blame GM if the Camaro's shelf life is limited? Ford didn't change with the times and is now sort of a train wreck - whether that's a failed car business, being way way behind in EVs and autonomous driving or simply failing to build a car as good or better than the Camaro (nothing new).

CaminoRacer

FoMoJo

Too bad if it's true.  Ford will no longer be inspired to make a better Mustang.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Gotta-Qik-C7

CaminoRacer

Submariner

2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

12,000 RPM

Quote from: GoCougs on June 25, 2019, 03:18:19 PM
So how is this horrible project management? It's more a product management issue. And really, given the rapidly changing automotive landscape, who can blame GM if the Camaro's shelf life is limited? Ford didn't change with the times and is now sort of a train wreck - whether that's a failed car business, being way way behind in EVs and autonomous driving or simply failing to build a car as good or better than the Camaro (nothing new).

Ford and Dodge have no problems selling pony cars in the "rapidly changing automotive landscape". And lol @ our resident EV/AV skeptic slamming Ford for being behind in those areas. Isn't that a good thing? And what the hell do they have to do with the Camaro? :wtf:

Bottom line, for consumers, the Camaro just isn't very good. Especially after that ghastly face "lift". The whole is much less than the sum of the parts.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 26, 2019, 07:14:07 AM
Ford and Dodge have no problems selling pony cars in the "rapidly changing automotive landscape". And lol @ our resident EV/AV skeptic slamming Ford for being behind in those areas. Isn't that a good thing? And what the hell do they have to do with the Camaro? :wtf:

Bottom line, for consumers, the Camaro just isn't very good. Especially after that ghastly face "lift". The whole is much less than the sum of the parts.
GM not changing the styling on the 6th Gen was a mistake also! Most people can't tell a 5th from a 6th Gen car! Along with the increase in price Consumers went to Ford and Dodge dealerships to get the freshly restyled Mustang or the Cool looking (Long in the tooth) Challenger! I can't say I blame them!

This whole situation kinda reflects whats happening to Cadillac! GM build a car to best the German performance benchmarks (but prices the car too high) and nobody buys it......

SJ_GTI

I really dig the Camaro in concept, but just can't justify buying one. I like my current car more as a daily driver (not AS fun to drive, but still pretty fun and way more practical) and I don't have the ambition/desire to have a second car.

BimmerM3

Quote from: SJ_GTI on June 26, 2019, 08:52:20 AM
I really dig the Camaro in concept, but just can't justify buying one. I like my current car more as a daily driver (not AS fun to drive, but still pretty fun and way more practical) and I don't have the ambition/desire to have a second car.

You have a Golf R, right?

93JC

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 25, 2019, 01:45:13 PM
Daaaaaamn homie.....

https://www.musclecarsandtrucks.com/exclusive-seventh-generation-chevrolet-camaro-shelved/

QuoteThe current Camaro, the sixth-generation model, utilizes the dynamic Alpha platform that the Cadillac ATS and CTS utilized. Both are being discontinued, and will be replaced by the Cadillac CT4 and CT5, which utilize an updated version of the Alpha platform, called A2XX. Both the Camaro and the two Cadillac passenger cars mentioned are/will be built at the Lansing Grand River Assembly Plant in central Michigan.

Sources tell us that the Camaro will not transition to the A2XX platform, and 2023 is as far as the vehicle is charted out. Then nothing.

This kind of hiatus happened to the storied nameplate previously, where the last of the fourth-generation Camaros rolled off the assembly line in 2002. All was quiet until 2006, when Chevrolet revived the Camaro name on a concept car, which left people ecstatic. That concept car eventually came to be the extremely popular fifth-generation Camaro, which restarted Camaro production in 2009, the year GM filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy.

The Camaro may win comparos, but the Rustang remains the better car, which is all that really matters for the bottom line. Maybe GM will get it right next time...

I'm not a Camaro fan by any means and even then this seems like pretty spurious speculation and gossip to me.

12,000 RPM

I heard from an insider that the 7G is being delayed rather than cancelled.

Again with the C8 becoming a store brand Ferrari, and Radwoodmania at a fever pitch, the time is ripe for them to revive the 3rd gen's looks (NOT the 4th gen... [Michael]NO... GOD NO... NOOOO[/Scott])

giant_mtb

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 26, 2019, 10:38:14 AM
I heard from an insider that the 7G is being delayed rather than cancelled.

Again with the C8 becoming a store brand Ferrari, and Radwoodmania at a fever pitch, the time is ripe for them to revive the 3rd gen's looks (NOT the 4th gen... [Michael]NO... GOD NO... NOOOO[/Scott])

IT'S BEAUTIFULLLLLLL

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Laconian

The Camaro will go on hiatus, and be resurrected in the year 2045 as a compact electric golf cart with a Vmax of 30 to capitalize on aging Millenial nostalgia. Millenials still won't be able to afford cars.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

CaminoRacer

I don't care for 3rd gens unless they're built really really well. Like this one:

12,000 RPM

The bulk of 3rd gens were absolute turds, no doubt about it

But if a clean IROC-Z doesn't make your heart swell with patriotism, even just a little, you might be a Communist.

CaminoRacer