2020 Mercedes-AMG A45 Tackles The Nürburgring Virtually Undisguised

Started by cawimmer430, May 25, 2019, 09:14:08 AM

cawimmer430

Checked on a German forum if the predecessor, the W176 A-Class, had water-cooled turbos. Nope, air- and oil-cooled. I am 99.9% the W177 (mine) has a similar setup, definitely air- and oil-cooled.

Link: https://www.motor-talk.de/forum/wird-der-turbolader-gehaeuse-im-w176-wassergekuehlt-t5834951.html
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

2o6

I wouldn't be concerned about the turbine itself, but more concerned about the engine. Head gaskets, PCV, anything that is affected by the high compression and 20+ lbs of boost.

You don't really hear that often of turbines cracking or failing....you hear of oil starvation, or connecting rod failures, or head gasket failures.

12,000 RPM

The only real issues I hear about with turbo engines is carbon build up on the valves (more from direct injection but the turbo's higher air temps don't help) and weird stuff like low speed preignition. Turbodiesels have been around forever and turbo gas engines have adpoted their same strategies for longevity. Only real downside is the turbo becomes another potential point of failure.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: cawimmer430 on June 08, 2019, 11:35:51 AM
Checked on a German forum if the predecessor, the W176 A-Class, had water-cooled turbos. Nope, air- and oil-cooled. I am 99.9% the W177 (mine) has a similar setup, definitely air- and oil-cooled.

Link: https://www.motor-talk.de/forum/wird-der-turbolader-gehaeuse-im-w176-wassergekuehlt-t5834951.html

No sprecken zie deutch. :lol:
But a purely air-oil cooled turbocharger is very rare these days.

The US market 2018 C300 also has the M260/264 engine, and parts number 11 and 12 in the catalog are coolant lines that attach to the turbocharger.

https://www.mbpartscenter.com/v-2018-mercedes-benz-c300--base--2-0l-l4-gas/engine--turbocharger-and-components

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

cawimmer430

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on June 08, 2019, 01:04:02 PM
No sprecken zie deutch. :lol:
But a purely air-oil cooled turbocharger is very rare these days.

The US market 2018 C300 also has the M260/264 engine, and parts number 11 and 12 in the catalog are coolant lines that attach to the turbocharger.

https://www.mbpartscenter.com/v-2018-mercedes-benz-c300--base--2-0l-l4-gas/engine--turbocharger-and-components

But that motor possibly has a different turbo-cooling setup than the current W177 A-Class.  :hmm:

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Mr. AMG giving us some amazing insight. This engine is insane.  :mask:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YBmG15FzuQ

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: cawimmer430 on June 09, 2019, 04:01:20 PM
But that motor possibly has a different turbo-cooling setup than the current W177 A-Class.  :hmm:

:hmm:  :huh:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

AutobahnSHO

that's bonkers!

And the old (turbodiesel) Army trucks we drove 15years ago said after driving you were supposed to idle it for 5min before turning it off.
Will

cawimmer430

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on June 10, 2019, 05:45:56 PM
that's bonkers!

And the old (turbodiesel) Army trucks we drove 15years ago said after driving you were supposed to idle it for 5min before turning it off.

That was also the general consensus for the turbo cars of the 1980s like the Lancia Delta Integrale etc. Before turning them off, have them idle for 2-3 minutes.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

FoMoJo

Quote from: cawimmer430 on June 11, 2019, 03:54:06 AM
That was also the general consensus for the turbo cars of the 1980s like the Lancia Delta Integrale etc. Before turning them off, have them idle for 2-3 minutes.
Yes, before they thought of running water/coolant lines/channels through them to protect the bearings.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."