Just bought me a jalopy

Started by Payman, October 03, 2017, 07:12:42 PM

Payman

Quote from: MrH on October 10, 2017, 07:24:35 AM
Wow.  Seems like a lot of work and cost for something that only cost $1000 :lol:

In the US, you just list whatever you sold it for on the bill of sale & title, and they tax you when you go to get it titled in your name.

Insurance is based on model, year, age, etc.  No one comes and looks at it at all.

Well yeah, same up here, but when the difference between standard insurance and vintage auto insurance is 75%, it's a no brainer to go the vintage route. Plus, annual registration is only $18 instead of $95.

All cars older than 20 years require an appraisal for taxes though.

CaminoRacer

According to the state, my car is worth $800. :lol:
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

giant_mtb

I may or may not have forgotten a zero on the purchase price when I bought Taco. They never go outside to check anything, so.  It's sort of an unspoken agreement that you leave the price line blank on the title and let the buyer do what they want.  Not everybody does it, but ive found that people that have been around the block a few times honor it.  I think paying sales tax for something that already had sales tax applied to it is bogus.  I've no problem with registration fees based on vehicle class (weight, etc), but repeat taxation is bullshit.

Payman

Quote from: giant_mtb on October 10, 2017, 09:21:29 AM
I may or may not have forgotten a zero on the purchase price when I bought Taco. They never go outside to check anything, so.  It's sort of an unspoken agreement that you leave the price line blank on the title and let the buyer do what they want.  Not everybody does it, but ive found that people that have been around the block a few times honor it.  I think paying sales tax for something that already had sales tax applied to it is bogus.  I've no problem with registration fees based on vehicle class (weight, etc), but repeat taxation is bullshit.

Totally agree that it's bogus, but the assholes up here go by book value, or require an appraisal if it's over 20 years old. What the seller or buyer puts on the bill of sale is irrelevant.

Cookie Monster

Wow.  Seems like a lot of work and cost for something that only cost $1000 :lol:

In the US, you just list whatever you sold it for on the bill of sale & title, and they tax you when you go to get it titled in your name.

Insurance is based on model, year, age, etc.  No one comes and looks at it at all.

Not in every state. In Texas they go by the higher of the sale value or the blue book value. That's how I got hosed buying a $1000 Volvo but got taxed on $1500 blue book. :rage:
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

93JC

Quote from: MrH on October 09, 2017, 09:00:25 AM
Canada sends an appraise out to determine the value on a car you spent $1000 for? :confused:

FYI as with most things in Canada it varies from province to province; four provinces have government-run auto insurance agencies. Private insurance companies in other provinces will tend to send out appraisers for any older car, but especially a 'classic' car, to establish roadworthiness and whatever the insurable amount would be. If your jalopy is a jalopy in every sense of the word they're under no obligation to insure it for you and will refuse your business.

With respect to taxes Alberta does not have a sales tax thus there is nothing to levy against the purchase of a used car (in a private party sale; a dealership must pay GST [federal sales tax]) so my government really doesn't care about how much I paid for a used car.

In all the other provinces (where there is a sales tax) most will levy said tax on your purchase but some don't. Saskatchewan for instance has a 6% PST (Provincial Sales Tax) but it is not levied on used car purchases—even ones from dealerships—as long as PST was paid on the original purchase. Ergo if you import a car from another province and sell it in Saskatchewan the buyer will have to pay PST.

SVT_Power

Quote from: 93JC on October 10, 2017, 02:28:09 PM
FYI as with most things in Canada it varies from province to province; four provinces have government-run auto insurance agencies. Private insurance companies in other provinces will tend to send out appraisers for any older car, but especially a 'classic' car, to establish roadworthiness and whatever the insurable amount would be. If your jalopy is a jalopy in every sense of the word they're under no obligation to insure it for you and will refuse your business.

With respect to taxes Alberta does not have a sales tax thus there is nothing to levy against the purchase of a used car (in a private party sale; a dealership must pay GST [federal sales tax]) so my government really doesn't care about how much I paid for a used car.

In all the other provinces (where there is a sales tax) most will levy said tax on your purchase but some don't. Saskatchewan for instance has a 6% PST (Provincial Sales Tax) but it is not levied on used car purchases—even ones from dealerships—as long as PST was paid on the original purchase. Ergo if you import a car from another province and sell it in Saskatchewan the buyer will have to pay PST.

At least in Ontario, I believe by law every vehicle is able to be insured. So your usual insurance companies may reject you but there are avenues to ensure your vehicle can be insured - whether at a reasonable rate or not is a whole another question. But by law you will be able to insure your vehicle as long as it's road worthy enough to be registered.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

93JC

"As long as it's roadworthy" being the operative words here. In Alberta insurance companies cannot refuse to offer you third-party liability coverage, but they're under no obligation to cover you for anything else.

Payman

Parts came in yesterday. Brake pads and rotors (it passed safety with the current ones, but they're getting pretty worn), 2x upper strut bearing/caps (one was req to be changed for safety, but might as well change both). Then I have to replace 3 bulbs and safety is done. Total parts bill $123.

Payman

Replaced the 2 front strut bearings and the front brakes today. Oh, and a backup light. I have to change the front left maker light, but the screws are rusty and stripped out. I'll tackle that tomorrow. It's the last item to receive my safety slip.

shp4man

Are you buying parts locally or online? Not sure if Rockauto ships to Canda.

Payman

Quote from: shp4man on October 21, 2017, 06:35:11 PM
Are you buying parts locally or online? Not sure if Rockauto ships to Canda.

Well, I'm here to tell you they do.  :ohyeah:

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV