Dirtbike

Started by giant_mtb, October 04, 2015, 05:33:27 PM

CaminoRacer

I don't like draining tanks. Can lead to rust.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

MX793

Quote from: CaminoRacer on December 03, 2015, 06:45:29 PM
I don't like draining tanks. Can lead to rust.

Ordinarily, I agree.  Dirtbikes have plastic tanks.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

CaminoRacer

Quote from: MX793 on December 03, 2015, 07:14:57 PM

Oh. Good point.

giant_mtb

Quote from: MX793 on December 03, 2015, 07:14:57 PM

Mine is actually metal since it's the (factory) street legal version of the CRF.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: Speed_Racer on December 03, 2015, 02:07:31 PM
That's all I did to my bike. If I had more space, I'd put mine up on stands too so I don't get flat spots on the tires come spring.

Just burn out to get them back to round. :lol:

giant_mtb

Think I might bundle up and go for a ride.  I mean, we have basically no snow.  I'm sure there'll be some on the trails in the trees/shady areas, but we shall see.  It's 43-45ish degrees.  Gonna take a couple psi outta the tires for extra traXion.

giant_mtb

Wet and slippery.  Most areas of the trail still had a little snow on 'em.  It was fun as hell, but also a chore to be sliding around and stuff.  Thought for sure I'd eat shit at some point but only had a couple close ones. 

BENZ BOY15

Well shit, might as well get out there and have fun, even if it's a little slippery. Because how many Decembers are you able to go dirt bikin' in the UP? Not too many I'd imagine! :lol:

Y'all should be snowmobiling by December 10th.

giant_mtb

Yeah, winter sports tourism is gonna take a huge hit this year.

shp4man

Quote from: giant_mtb on December 10, 2015, 05:05:04 PM

So no ice fishing? I hear it's just an excuse to get drunk anyway.  :lol:

giant_mtb

Quote from: shp4man on December 10, 2015, 05:20:25 PM

That's almost exactly what it is. And yeah, probably not any of that happening this year.

BENZ BOY15

Quote from: shp4man on December 10, 2015, 05:20:25 PM

....and get away from the significant other and/or the family. :lol:

BENZ BOY15

Quote from: giant_mtb on December 10, 2015, 05:05:04 PM

Yeah that's definitely a bummer and the warm/non-snowy pattern is looking pretty damn consistent.

giant_mtb

46 degrees and sunny today. Streets are mostly dry and clear. Still snowbanks and such and no way the trails are rideable yet, but Dirtbike fired right up. I forgot (well, neglected) to take the battery out before winter, but she had all the juice.

Braaaaaap

giant_mtb

Snapchat screenshot boiiiii.  Snow has gone down tremendously over the last week.

giant_mtb

Got out today.  Trails are still pretty useless, but the sand pits by my house were nice and clear. Went to tighten up my rear shock...basically stripped everything behind the carb off only to realize I should've made sure I had the proper tool to tighten the shock first....oh well, now I can deep clean it since it's all apart.

Short list so far for the summer:

Tires. Desperately need more aggressive tread.
De-smog & upjet.

giant_mtb

I know I'm ready for a bigger/better bike, but I kinda wanna just keep this one forever and eventually get it on the street for a town/trail cruiser.

On the other hand I could easily sell this thing for $2k and get a nice MX. 

giant_mtb

I'd love a KTM.  But $$$ and hard to find.  People don't let them go.

giant_mtb

Nice weekend coming up (60s?!?!?!), so I'm back to itching to ride.  I've got tires picked out and a couple other odds and ends in my cart.  Yeah, the tires don't match but who cares...the matching front (not that it'd have the same tread anyways) isn't available from this site.  Bar pad, couple spark plugs, tire irons. 

Stock rear tire is 120/80-18, thinking I'll get this one in a 120/90 for a little more sidewall cush (it doesn't come in a 120/80).  Stock front is 2.75-21, this one's a 3.  I'll check clearances tomorrow, but I'm pretty sure an extra 1/4" should be totally fine up front.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/37783/i/sedona-mx907hp-hard-pack-rear-tire

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/19572/i/irc-tr8-battle-rally-front-tire

giant_mtb

Fuck.  Smacked a rock just right on the shifter...the whole shaft that goes into the tranny bent backwards 25-30 degrees. Luckily I was close to home and was able to limp it home in 2nd before I lost any significant amount of oil.

I hope this isn't a big/difficult job and that there's no other damage.

giant_mtb

Part #9.  Gonna have to take the whole motor off, split the case...everything.  Fack.

Gotta-Qik-C7

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

CaminoRacer

Did you bottom out on a jump or what?

giant_mtb

Got myself a cheap air ratchet to make all this disassembly/assembly miles faster. Table's ready for parts and labels.  Gonna take lotsa pictures along the way. This'll be my first time disassembling any motorized thing so completely. But while I'm at it, I can also do my upjetting, de-smogging, airbox mods, and a valve check.

Just sucks because it was the first real ride of the season (lots of mud but minimal snow) and we've got a string of decent weather coming up...and my new tires and shit are gonna be here Thursday but there's no way I'll have anything done by then since I need to order the shifter shaft.

Just part of dirtbiking, I suppose. Shit happens. And low ground clearance.

giant_mtb

Quote from: CaminoRacer on April 18, 2016, 05:55:42 PM
Did you bottom out on a jump or what?

Kind of. Was playing around in a sand pit near my house. It's kind of a drop-in and right in my line as I dropped in was a good sized rock I couldn't miss.  Stupid mistake...I've played in the pit many times before and usually have a keen sense of where all the big rocks are.  Thought it was just the frame that got smacked til I stopped on the other side and couldn't shift for shit. 

giant_mtb

Finally diving into this project. Been so busy with the spring detailing rush and all that.  Parts came like a week ago (finally).  Got the gearshift shaft, the seals where it enters the case, and a couple other little things from the diagram (why not, washers and springs are cheap).  Hopefully I have everything I need and nothing unexpected (damage) shows up. Plastics, tank, and exhaust are off. Now to the nitty gritty to get to the gearshift shaft as easily as possible!

Popped my rear tube putting my new tire on. Oh well, bike is sitting for now and I can grab a tube anywhere.

MX793

Quote from: giant_mtb on May 10, 2016, 06:27:12 PM
Finally diving into this project. Been so busy with the spring detailing rush and all that.  Parts came like a week ago (finally).  Hopefully I have everything I need and nothing unexpected (damage) shows up. Plastics, tank, and exhaust are off. Now to the nitty gritty to get to the gearshift shaft as easily as possible!

Popped my rear tube putting my new tire on. Oh well, bike is sitting for now and I can grab a tube anywhere.

Been a while since I did a tube motorcycle tire, but I recall that putting just a little bit of air in the tube when mounting the new tire would help reduce the chances of pinching it.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

giant_mtb

Quote from: MX793 on May 10, 2016, 06:29:00 PM
Been a while since I did a tube motorcycle tire, but I recall that putting just a little bit of air in the tube when mounting the new tire would help reduce the chances of pinching it.

Yeah, I've changed many a mountain bike tire and have always used that same principle. Makes it less pinchable and just easier to work with. Alas, I pinched it anyway. :lol: 

giant_mtb

Dirt bike is fixed. Had to Dremel away material to make the shaft clear the hole. It was pretty bent.  New one slid in nicely.  Buttoned it all back up, flushed oil a couple times, and it fired right up.  Shifts nice and smooth.

Ready to ride besides rear tube and new shift lever.

giant_mtb

Maiden voyage was a success. Did about 40 miles. Gonna need a couple extra chain links for big bump clearance for this new super knobby tire, also the tool kit box which is sort of tucked in the upper left underside of the rear fender will need to come off for side knob clearance as well.  Other than that, she's runnin great.  Tires make a huge difference.  Can climb shit I struggled to before with much more ease. Not the most powerful bike, but she'll get anywhere now with all the tractions.  Still not enough balls for 30 degree sand pits, but oh well.  Next bike.

Feels so good to ride after like 2 months off.  And now it's actually summer outside!