Oil Catch   $9.83    Need to drain the oil at home
Seafoam   $15.22    Hopefully this will flush everything out
Bungee cords   $6.99    Gotta hold down the tarp
Oil pan gasket   $17.93    Gotta scrape the pan.. Yummy
13/16 deap socket   $4.25    That is for the sparkplugs.. BIG
11/16 deap socket   $4.25    Needed for the crankshaft
Marvles Mystery Oil   $3.70    Hopefully a 1 week piston soak will work
Brake Cleaner   $6.46    Evaporates quick and cut grease
Battery   $63.30    Money well wasted so far?
Car Cover   $12.95    WalMart Special and keeps the wife happy
PB Blaster   $6.58    Soak the pistons another week.
Shop Manual CD   $52.00    Now I actually KNOW what I am doing
Generator Belt     $8.99    
PB Blaster      $4.19    
Cheap Oil   $1.79    Good for soaking bolts in
Degreaser    $2.09    
1/3 Clamp   $2.49    Heater Hose clamps
1/3 Clamp   $2.49    
1/2 Clamp   $2.49    Rad hose clamp set
1/2 Clamp   $2.49    
Upper Rad Hose   $14.09    
Lower rad hose   $15.99    
4 ft heater hose   $0.00    They forgot to charge me?
Starter rebuild   $122.18    so far, it is the prettiest part of the car.
Gasket maker   $7.99    Big sheet and I get to make gaskets myself
Water pump sealer   $2.49    Gasket sealer for the water pump

Money Left   $4,561.73    
Money Spent   $438.27    
I came into this world kicking, screaming, pissed off, and covered in someone elses blood.
If I do it right, I will leave this world in the same condition.

southdiver1

Well, I ended up punching a hole in the crankcase of the 331 so, I am now looking into an engine swap.
Here is the delemia.
A Chevy 350 is very plentiful but, might not fit in very well without modifications.
A Caddy 500 is almost a straight bolt in however, they are hard to find....
I came into this world kicking, screaming, pissed off, and covered in someone elses blood.

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

sandertheshark

Quote from: southdiver1 on September 16, 2007, 05:44:31 AM
Well, I ended up punching a hole in the crankcase of the 331 so, I am now looking into an engine swap.
Here is the delemia.
A Chevy 350 is very plentiful but, might not fit in very well without modifications.
How about an L-head?

etypeJohn

Well, I ended up punching a hole in the crankcase of the 331

How did that happen?

Go to http://www.clcnorcal.com/id15.html and check the listings.  You might be able to find a good 331 engine if you desire to. 

southdiver1

Quote from: etypeJohn on September 17, 2007, 06:14:16 AM
How did that happen?

Go to http://www.clcnorcal.com/id15.html and check the listings.  You might be able to find a good 331 engine if you desire to. 

How did it happen?
Well, the short story is that I am a friggen retard.

I snapped a bold off inthe head trying to remove my waterpum.
No big deal right? just drill it out.
Well, during my attempts to drill it out, I keps breaking drill bits and my frustration mounted. I fulally got it to bite but, it was at an angle going towards the crankase.
Again, because I was frustrated, I just kept on going until I felt it punch thru something. The leangth and the angle tells me I went thru the crankcase.
I am currently looking onto a JB weld repair. I am still pretty frustrated because I connected the new starter and it actually cranked with good compression on all 8 pistons.

FoMoJo

It's good news that you've got it cranking.  Too bad about the hole in the block.  Maybe it's not as bad as you think.  Did you get the broken bolt out?
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Soup DeVille

Here is the delemia.

No they aren't. The only 500s that are hard to find are the early '70 Eldo motors with the nodular iron crank, and unless you're planning on pumping out over 650 HP, you don't need one.

They're still relatively easy to find at most junkyards.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Soup DeVille

Quote from: sandertheshark on September 16, 2007, 09:31:01 PM
How about an L-head?

Well, the interesting thing about the '49 is it is in many ways the first truly post war caddy (new body and all new drivetrain): and the first year for the OHV V-8. If he had a '48, he'd already have a flathead.

He could also go with a 472, but might be advised to steer clear of the 425s.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

southdiver1

I have not gotten the bolt out of the block yet. I figured the best thing was to step back and take a breather before getting pissed and causing more damage.

I was able to find a conversion kit for a Caddy 500 which consists of motor mounts and oil pan for pretty cheap.
I have had no luck at all with the same kit for a Chevy smallblock.

Secret Chimp

A 350 instantly makes this car a huge snooze. Get a Caddy 500, a crate 572, anything but an everybody-and-his-mom smallblock.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

southdiver1

Quote from: Secret Chimp on September 20, 2007, 08:17:33 AM
A 350 instantly makes this car a huge snooze. Get a Caddy 500, a crate 572, anything but an everybody-and-his-mom smallblock.
Well, a crate 572 is out of the question... WAY too much money.
The only reason I am looking at the 350 is because they are everywhere but, you are correct. it makes it a real snooze fest.
Tomorrow night I should know if I can get my hands on a 500 or, this weekend when I pull the timing chain cover off, I will know how much damage I actually caused....

Secret Chimp

Quote from: southdiver1 on September 20, 2007, 08:29:12 AM
Well, a crate 572 is out of the question... WAY too much money.
The only reason I am looking at the 350 is because they are everywhere but, you are correct. it makes it a real snooze fest.
Tomorrow night I should know if I can get my hands on a 500 or, this weekend when I pull the timing chain cover off, I will know how much damage I actually caused....

Oh, I know a 572 is worth more than this whole car a few times over. Just piling on the "anything but a 5.7" a bit too much :P

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Secret Chimp on September 21, 2007, 11:07:18 PM
Oh, I know a 572 is worth more than this whole car a few times over. Just piling on the "anything but a 5.7" a bit too much :P

It's still based on the Chebbie bore spacing, and is thus blasphemous to put in a caddy, besides which, worth has little to do with any of this: although Diver's $5000 budget would be blown away...

GoCougs

Quote from: southdiver1 on September 17, 2007, 07:26:34 AM
How did it happen?
Well, the short story is that I am a friggen retard.

I snapped a bold off inthe head trying to remove my waterpum.
No big deal right? just drill it out.
Well, during my attempts to drill it out, I keps breaking drill bits and my frustration mounted. I fulally got it to bite but, it was at an angle going towards the crankase.
Again, because I was frustrated, I just kept on going until I felt it punch thru something. The leangth and the angle tells me I went thru the crankcase.
I am currently looking onto a JB weld repair. I am still pretty frustrated because I connected the new starter and it actually cranked with good compression on all 8 pistons.

I'm trying to envision exactly what happened (drilled through back of a bolt hole?), but I imagine that a machine shop should be able to fix it. Heck, you might even be able to tap it, install a threaded plug with lots of Loctite red, and call it good.

I don't think there's any shame in the 350. Most people won't know, and IMO even a moderately built example will outpower most any stock big block Caddy motors you'd find. Those few that it won't ('70 500 for example) are really rare.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: GoCougs on September 21, 2007, 11:33:46 PM
I'm trying to envision exactly what happened (drilled through back of a bolt hole?), but I imagine that a machine shop should be able to fix it. Heck, you might even be able to tap it, install a threaded plug with lots of Loctite red, and call it good.

I don't think there's any shame in the 350. Most people won't know, and IMO even a moderately built example will outpower most any stock big block Caddy motors you'd find. Those few that it won't ('70 500 for example) are really rare.

Bahhh: even a wheez-o-matic '77-'79 425 can be cheaply built to better the power of most mild 350s.

the Teuton

Now that the show is finally over, I can show you this car.

2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

southdiver1

Quote from: GoCougs on September 21, 2007, 11:33:46 PM

OK...
If you look at the engine from the front, we are looing at the lower bold hole on the block on the right hand side. the crankcases in about 4 inches to the left.
Anyway, I started to drill straight and, because of my frustration, I started to angle towards the crankcase (to the left).
Most smart folk would have stopped and re-evaluated but, not me.
I kept on going until I felt something push thru. I am assuming that wouldbe the crankcase however, I am not starting to doubt myself. I may have busted thru a waterjacket instead because if I push a small drillbit thru the hole, I am still hitting something. If I was in the crankcase, I should go all the way thru unless I am hitting the camshaft itself....

Soup DeVille

Quote from: southdiver1 on September 23, 2007, 10:44:53 AM
OK...
If you look at the engine from the front, we are looing at the lower bold hole on the block on the right hand side. the crankcases in about 4 inches to the left.
Anyway, I started to drill straight and, because of my frustration, I started to angle towards the crankcase (to the left).
Most smart folk would have stopped and re-evaluated but, not me.
I kept on going until I felt something push thru. I am assuming that wouldbe the crankcase however, I am not starting to doubt myself. I may have busted thru a waterjacket instead because if I push a small drillbit thru the hole, I am still hitting something. If I was in the crankcase, I should go all the way thru unless I am hitting the camshaft itself....

You might try spinning the water pump with an impact wrench and seeing if you're pumping any coolant into the oil pan.

southdiver1

Thats actually a pretty easy thing to check cometo think of it.
I can turn the motor over under it's own power now.
I should go ahead and tap and rethread the hole and just put the pump back on.
Once I get it running, drive it and change the oil. I should see water at that point....

Soup DeVille

Quote from: southdiver1 on September 23, 2007, 05:21:44 PM
Thats actually a pretty easy thing to check cometo think of it.
I can turn the motor over under it's own power now.
I should go ahead and tap and rethread the hole and just put the pump back on.
Once I get it running, drive it and change the oil. I should see water at that point....

Seems like it would work to me.

southdiver1

Quote from: Soup DeVille on September 23, 2007, 06:01:25 PM
Seems like it would work to me.
Naturally, I killed the battery so, I need to buy a charger...'sigh'

Soup DeVille

southdiver1

Quote from: Soup DeVille on September 27, 2007, 04:20:52 PM
So, are you really selling it?

Well... yeah... I was but, I don't know.
I found a 65 Buick vert that I wanted but, I went and looked at it last night and it is too far gone so, I am gonna start the the body work on it while I am still looking for an engine.

southdiver1

OK...
I sandblasted the hood this weekend, hit it with a skim coat of bondo to cover up the small imperfections, primer, block sand, and then primer again.

I still need to sand it smooth one more time before I lay paint but for now, it will sit in the thick primer/sealer.
On another note, I found a Caddy 500 attached to a turbo 400 transmission. Hopefully if the weather holds out, I can grab it next weekend.

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

southdiver1

Quote from: FoMoJo on October 15, 2007, 12:11:06 PM
Anything happening with the Caddy?

I tried to get it to turn over Sunday evening and was met with...silence...
I put the charger on it and this morning...silence again.
I called the place that I bought my battery from and they told me to bring it in for a straight exchange.
On a side note, I went to the NSRA show in Tampa this weekend and gathered knowlege, patience, and... pictures.
I will post the pix soon.
Basically, I either need to have a LOT of talent or, a LOT of money.
Since the money issue ain't gonna happen any time soon, I better get smart.
My father swore that we will have it running this weekend. I still need to get the brakes working....

FoMoJo

I think that patience is the key.  It's been a while since I've really tried my hand at any refurbishing or fixing but anytime I tried to take shortcuts it just made the process more difficult.  I'm hoping to start my project within a year...and, this time, I'm determined to do it right...no matter how long it takes.

southdiver1

Quote from: FoMoJo on October 15, 2007, 02:24:20 PM
I think that patience is the key.  It's been a while since I've really tried my hand at any refurbishing or fixing but anytime I tried to take shortcuts it just made the process more difficult.  I'm hoping to start my project within a year...and, this time, I'm determined to do it right...no matter how long it takes.

Right now, I really just want to get it running and moving so i can at least move it around the house when I need to. I can make it pretty later but, once it runs, I can move it to the side of the house and set up some shelter. It will make life a LOT easier for everyone involved...

southdiver1

Well, a bit of good news,
I brought my battery back to autozone. Dead as Elvis.
They give me a striaght up exchange at no charge.