The Detailing Thread

Started by giant_mtb, July 06, 2010, 09:58:16 PM

BimmerM3

It's the black part that makes them look dumb, IMO. They look OK covered in mud because the black part is covered up. :lol:

giant_mtb

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

giant_mtb

The guy was very very happy.  He took it to a different detailing shop previously and was not happy at all (wouldn't be the first time I've heard horror stories of that place), so he was happy to pay about the same money for a much better result.

CaminoRacer

I don't know that I've seen that color red on a Raptor. Nice
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

giant_mtb

Got to do this lil guy yesterday. Fun car. Picked it up from the customer, so I got to drive it (albeit, just across town).  But hey, I'm excited any time I step into something with a stickshift.  She calls him Bart.

FoMoJo

giant_mtb

It sounds cool. Drove it with the windows down on the way to the shop. Some parts seem really really cheap (gas cap cover, HVAC controls, air vents), but other than that it's a cool little rig.  It's got the slide-back roof, too, which is bosssss.

giant_mtb

Did that Thunderbird today.  Turned out nice.  Tires didn't want to hold dressing, but that's 'cause I'm pretty sure they're the originals and they're drying out.

giant_mtb

Also did a Buick Envision.  Which I thought was the Trax equivalent, but apparently it's the Equinox equivalent.  Anyways.  It's mud season, and she apparently took her dog adventuring over the weekend...iron ore dirt is a bitch, but at least the seats are leather so it was as simple as degreasing them and then going back over with the usual interior product after for the final cleaning.

Eye of the Tiger

Envision?  Never heard of it. Another rental car crossover from GM. At least it's clean.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

FoMoJo

How did the seats get so dirty?

giant_mtb

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on April 29, 2019, 07:11:25 PM
Envision?  Never heard of it. Another rental car crossover from GM. At least it's clean.

Yeah.  I guess the Buick Encore is the Trax twin.  Apparently I detailed this Envision last year, but only the outside.  I do not recall, despite having a (usually) impeccable memory of every vehicle I detail.  I remember vehicles better than people's names...like a bartender who knows what to pour you as soon as you walk in the door, but might not remember your name (and yes, I've also been that bartender :lol:).

giant_mtb

Quote from: FoMoJo on April 29, 2019, 07:13:52 PM
How did the seats get so dirty?

Quote from: giant_mtb on April 29, 2019, 07:08:50 PM
It's mud season, and she apparently took her dog adventuring over the weekend...iron ore dirt is a bitch, but at least the seats are leather so it was as simple as degreasing them and then going back over with the usual interior product after for the final cleaning.

;)

BimmerM3

Are there any particular products you use for convertible tops? I've been using Raggtopp cleaner and protectant on the S2000, but I'm out, so I figure it couldn't hurt to see if you have any other recommendations.

giant_mtb

Quote from: BimmerM3 on April 29, 2019, 07:55:51 PM
Are there any particular products you use for convertible tops? I've been using Raggtopp cleaner and protectant on the S2000, but I'm out, so I figure it couldn't hurt to see if you have any other recommendations.

303 makes good shit.  Basically what you want/need is UV protection so the top will last long.  Might be able to find the right 303 product at your local outdoors store that also deals with boat gear (Bass Pro, Gander, etc), as they have that stuff in stock for boat canopies.  I don't deal with many convertible tops, but I have a bottle of 303 on hand for such occasions.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on April 29, 2019, 07:11:25 PM

Its the Chinese Buick.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

giant_mtb

After 5+ years of very heavy use, my ShopVac motor died. It was starting to smell like hot motor the last couple days and it finally whirred to a halt yesterday. So, I bought another ShopVac.  It is quieter than the old one.  I'm using the old vac's can as I like the handle, casters, and tool storage is has on it better than the new one. So, I, uh, detailed my ShopVac so the metal can is all nice and shiny again.  Now I have a random, new vacuum can laying around for...who knows.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: giant_mtb on May 01, 2019, 02:49:16 PM
After 5+ years of very heavy use, my ShopVac motor died. It was starting to smell like hot motor the last couple days and it finally whirred to a halt yesterday. So, I bought another ShopVac.  It is quieter than the old one.  I'm using the old vac's can as I like the handle, casters, and tool storage is has on it better than the new one. So, I, uh, detailed my ShopVac so the metal can is all nice and shiny again.  Now I have a random, new vacuum can laying around for...who knows.

You can fix the old one, I bet. I have replaced the motor bearings and brushes in shop vacs. Not too hard.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on May 01, 2019, 03:49:39 PM
You can fix the old one, I bet. I have replaced the motor bearings and brushes in shop vacs. Not too hard.

Most likely, but I needed a vacuum now.  Ain't got time for downtime!

giant_mtb

Oh, how rude of me to forget.

Eye of the Tiger

BimmerM3

Quote from: giant_mtb on May 01, 2019, 03:57:22 PM
Oh, how rude of me to forget.

Shop vac isn't good enough for the FB page?

giant_mtb

Quote from: BimmerM3 on May 01, 2019, 04:00:07 PM
Shop vac isn't good enough for the FB page?

Hmmm perhaps I'll throw those pics on with today's post as a cute 'lil gag...those pics were taken late last night.

Eye of the Tiger

Not trying to offer unsolicited life advice, but you might want to finish the detail job on the shop vac for the *after* photo. Dry and polish that chrome to a mirror finish, put some bacon grease ln the plastic trim, etc. When you're done with that, throw it in a muddy ditch and run over it with your truck, then take a real good *before* picture.
:lol:

BimmerM3

Quote from: giant_mtb on May 01, 2019, 04:02:40 PM
Hmmm perhaps I'll throw those pics on with today's post as a cute 'lil gag...those pics were taken late last night.

lol I was mostly joking. I meant to put a :lol: but forgot.

12,000 RPM

Time for me to restore the paint on the KIA

What rub on and spray on protectors/sealants do you recommend?
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

giant_mtb

DP Poli-coat Sealant
Klasse Sealant Glaze
Meguiar's Synthetic X-Press Spray Wax
Collinite Insulator Wax

Those are the four waxes/sealants I use most.  Collinite is used the most, as it's the wax I use for virtually all of my wash&wax jobs.  I use the spray wax on door jambs and such (and on Taco after it gets washed, and it's quite good for a spray wax).  Sealants get used if someone asks/pays extra (as the products are simply more expensive, though the application process is virtually the same).

DP Poli-coat is great for the price.  Klasse is costlier, but just as good, if not a bit harder to buff off though.  If you wanna pay $ for ceramics, go for it, I guess, but they're a lot of marketing wank IMO, especially if you stick to regular maintenance practices in the first place.

If you're looking to restore the paint, your first question should be about rubbing compounds/polishes, not waxes and sealants.  Though a thorough wash and a good wax job makes a marked improvement in any paint, as you can see in all of the pictures I post ITT... :lol: