Trailer hitches...

Started by giant_mtb, July 15, 2005, 02:38:05 PM

giant_mtb

Well, my parents want to get a bike rack.  But, neither of the cars that it would be used with have a trailer hitch.  So, what would be the best option?  Pay for a trailer hitch or get two separate bike racks (if necessary)?

footoflead

LET THE ARGUING BEGIN...
Speed is my drug, Adrenaline my addiction
Racing is an addiction...and the only cure is poverty
Sometimes you just have to floor it and hope for the best
Member of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's

giant_mtb

QuoteLET THE ARGUING BEGIN...
^_^  Yes...continue your debate in here.  In the meantime, me and my parents are going to go rack hunting tonight after dinner, so I will update you on the situation later tonight or tomorrow.

TBR

I've looked a little and it looks like you might be able to get one that hooks up to a ball (they probably cost $10 and you can definitely mount one to the Explorer), but it still wouldn't work on the Grand Marquis.

footoflead

Quotehttp://www.swagmanbikeracks.com/store/64100.htm

That one should work.
Yep...now we just gotta figure out if you can put a hitch under the bumper of a marquis

'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'05 Silverado, Mom's

R33 GT-R

you can, I've seen many of them with a drop hitch.
Dubbed:  Skanky Whore!

giant_mtb

I just took a couple pics...let me get them on here...

footoflead

Quoteyou can, I've seen many of them with a drop hitch.
now ya just gotta explain all this to your parents

'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'05 Silverado, Mom's

giant_mtb

^^^^ That's on the bottom of the rear bumper.

Tom

Sure you can hook one up to a GM.  Being RWD with a V8, it can tow with the best of 'em.

giant_mtb

QuoteSure you can hook one up to a GM.  Being RWD with a V8, it can tow with the best of 'em.
I'm not worried about it being able to carry a couple bikes or not...I'm worried about how to mount it.  As in are we going to have to pay to get a hitch put on or not.  ;)  

giant_mtb

Meh, forget it guys.  We're just gonna buy a strap-mounting one.  All of them are universal (for vans, SUVs, and sedans) so yeah.  We found a really nice one for 150 (some were around 60, but very cheap and flimsy) so we might get it.  Me and my dad just gotta clear it with my mom first. ^_^  Thanks for all your time and effort tryin' to figure out what the hell was goin' on.  :lol:  :P  

crv16

I've used the strap on type before (no rude comments please), and was unsatisfied with it.  It never was really secure, and had the risk of scratching up the painted surfaces.

I've got a hitch mounted rack now, and it works so well.  Sturdy as hell, plus way easier to mount and dismount.

A receiver hitch for the truck should be pretty cheap - I'm guessing well under $100.  I bought a 4 place hitch mounted rack for under a $100 at PerformanceBike.com
09 Honda Accord EX-L V6
09 Subaru Forester X Premium 5 speed

R33 GT-R

The straps don't feel secure for me either, find a way to hitch.

TBR

The hitch itself would definitely be cheap, but the installation wouldn't be.  

R33 GT-R

QuoteThe hitch itself would definitely be cheap, but the installation wouldn't be.
If his dad has a drill and a good sharp bit they could install it at home.  They don't need a light harness or anything so no need for wiring.  I put my class IV hitch on myself, but it was a easy bolt on job.  I didn't have to relocate anything.  If they can find one with the right dimensions it'll drop in between the frame rails and they can make bolt holes for it.  Should it be a little short a spacer could be used since all they are hauling is bicycles.

giant_mtb

Oh well, the money has already been paid and we got a 150 dollar strap-on! (had to say it  :lol: )  It is very secure on the Grand Marquis and has pads that are guranteed to not scratch paint surfaces or else they will give us our money back.  I'm sure we'll be satisfied enough with it.  

The problem with getting a hitch is that we'd have to get one for both the Explorer and the Marquis, and that would be more expensive than paying for one bike rack that we can mount on both cars.

R33 GT-R

Beware of strap wear, it'll be your main adversary.

Tortoise

QuoteBeware of strap wear, it'll be your main adversary.
Yes, definitely be aware.  Also, make sure the straps are nowhere near the exhaust.  Sounds silly, but my dad and I managed to melt the straps by placing it too close to the exhaust... ok, ok, we put the straps on the exhaust.... D'oh!

giant_mtb

QuoteBeware of strap wear, it'll be your main adversary.
Yes, definitely be aware.  Also, make sure the straps are nowhere near the exhaust.  Sounds silly, but my dad and I managed to melt the straps by placing it too close to the exhaust... ok, ok, we put the straps on the exhaust.... D'oh!
:lol:  :lol:  Nice.  When we put it on the Grand Marquis there was no clearence problem between the strap and exhaust...it's a good 8 inches away...and at high/freeway speeds that shouldn't be a problem.  We have yet to see how well it fits on the X-Polar, but I'm sure it will be fine as well.  This one is very secure, actually...it better be for 150 bucks. ^_^

It's this one... a Yakima Mighty Joe 3.