That $150 civic wont start!

Started by SargeMonkey, June 18, 2005, 03:05:24 PM

SargeMonkey

Well we towed it home but when we turned it over nothing, it got fuel, air, not sure on spark. But my dad turned it over use a screwdriver, it melted it very well. But any way anyone have a clue? We think the cilinoid is dead, one of the studs is tweaked. I think that I can get it running, we are moving in about two weeks, it has a garage that will barly fit the civic let alone the truck, and its a 50's house. Ya I know I can't spell.
`79 Civic Cvcc
`81 Civic 1300xl
`78 Silverado Camper 454
`70 Chevy Fleetside (non running)
`91 Camry XL All-trac 4cyl
`86 Toyota Pickup (475k miles)
`92 Jeep Wrangler Renegade 4" lift 35" tires.

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

footoflead

QuoteTarget practice!
beat it with  a hammer until it starts :lol: ...but seriously i would check to make sure you got spark...
Speed is my drug, Adrenaline my addiction
Racing is an addiction...and the only cure is poverty
Sometimes you just have to floor it and hope for the best
Member of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's

280Z Turbo

Get a new starter from the local junkyard.

giant_mtb

Check the spark plugs and/or coil pack...

LostBoy

QuoteTarget practice!
Made me think of...

The Simpson's Nelson:

"Hey, check this out! (he shoots at an old car)  That's my Dad's shooting car. Just three more payments and it's ours."

:D  

280Z Turbo

Do you have a multimeter that you can use to check for power to the coil?

BartsSVO

Well...where to start?

Go with the basics first, make sure it really is delivering fuel to the engine and that you have a spark. A new set of wires and plugs would be a good start in that department and take 280's advice to check power to the coil. If that's OK and there is still no spark I'd be looking at the ignition module.

It is just very hard to tell with the limited info you've given us.
--Bart

1986 Mustang SVO
1995 Ranger XLT

SargeMonkey

Well I know theres fuel, but it won't turn over when I turn the key, yes battery = good, but my dad did somethin and melted a screwdriver to slag! And the engine turned over, so I think the starter is dead. We will most likely test spark tommarow. Its one hell of a small target.

Not my pic but its cold and dark so I will give you a size compare tommarow. 12" wheels!
`79 Civic Cvcc
`81 Civic 1300xl
`78 Silverado Camper 454

El Barto

I was having trouble getting my car started last year.  I changed the spark plugs and wires and it started right up.  I would get new plugs and wires, if that doesnt work it might be the starter.
2016 Volkswagen GTI (Aug 2015 - Present)
2008 Volkswagen Jetta Wolfsburg (Aug 2011 - Aug 2015)
2003 Saab 9-3 2.0t (Oct 2007 - Aug 2011)
1990 Nissan Maxima SE (July 2003 - Oct 2007)

BartsSVO

Well, if it turned over there's nothing wrong with the starter. Since your dad was able to get the starter to run with a screwdriver across the terminals (but obviously held it there too long!) then I'd point to a bad starter relay or ignition switch.

You're going to need a good test light or multitester and see what is getting electricity and what isn't.  
--Bart

1986 Mustang SVO
1995 Ranger XLT

SargeMonkey

The cilinoid on the starter is dead, he held it there for less than two seconds. It will be two weeks till we get a new starter, might as well same cost as cilinoid.
`79 Civic Cvcc
`81 Civic 1300xl
`78 Silverado Camper 454

BartsSVO

Hmm...usually solenoids are pretty cheap. Usually no more than $10 or so.  
--Bart

1986 Mustang SVO
1995 Ranger XLT

SargeMonkey

Well every time we replace one the starter motor goes out a week later. And I am going to replace every vaccum line anyway, I might replace all the coulent hoses too.  
`79 Civic Cvcc
`81 Civic 1300xl
`78 Silverado Camper 454

BartsSVO

Ok, if it keeps killing starters, then you probably have an issue with the block ground or the cables going to the starter. Before you just start randomly replacing stuff start with the basics and make sure you have good grounds.

It probably isn't a bad idea to replace the radiator hoses, especially if you are unsure of their condition. Which reminds me that I need to replace the factory hoses on my 95 Ranger this weekend!  
--Bart

1986 Mustang SVO
1995 Ranger XLT

SargeMonkey

Well its a 26 year old car, I think its still running on the factory oil. We have never replaced the starter in this car, had it for a week. But every car we have had a silinoid dies we replace it then the motor dies. Anywho its either $44 or $55 but I can't tell if its a Hiatchy starter or a Niplerty(I have no idea) Geard one. No those arnt spelled right.
`79 Civic Cvcc
`81 Civic 1300xl
`78 Silverado Camper 454