Project Prelude: Part 1 [56k - go change your oil]

Started by Run Away, June 20, 2005, 09:26:08 PM

Run Away

Part 1: Making Money
So I can afford shipping a JDM B20A engine and transmission along with a B20A5 ECU and Exedy clutch.

So, I sold the engine of my parts car to some ricer here in winnipeg who blew his engine for $300.
Today, I started the removal, and tommorow I will continue it.

When I arrived:

Getting to work:

Why the holes for the spark plugs are full of oil:

Some progress:

Yay, fog lights in good condition. These are going on my car.

End of the day:

Closed up just before going home:

My car:

My dad showed up just as I was going to leave. Here's our van:

Notice the pimpin' rimz.B)

280Z Turbo

Pulling out a FWD drivetrain is not something I wanted to do. That's why I junked the Saab.

Run Away

This is a good pic of what I started out with:

280Z Turbo

It was worse with the Saab. It had turbo piping to make way for. I took plenty of crap off of the engine and it still was nowhere near ready to come out. That's the problem with FWD. EVERYTHING has gotta come out.

The Z, on the other hand, was straightforward. Disconnect your wires, tubes, hoses, etc. Undo some bolts and lift 'er up.

850CSi

Nice work, Ben.

And YOUR 'Lude is looking very nice...

SargeMonkey

On my civic thers four bolts that hold the engine/tranny to the car, and some hoses and wires. Not much holding back a woping 68(when new) horse power.
`79 Civic Cvcc
`81 Civic 1300xl
`78 Silverado Camper 454
`70 Chevy Fleetside (non running)
`91 Camry XL All-trac 4cyl
`86 Toyota Pickup (475k miles)
`92 Jeep Wrangler Renegade 4" lift 35" tires.

Tom

That looks like a bitch, Ben.  If you accepted $250 for it but agreed the ricer would have to take it out himself do you think he would have accepted not knowing all the work it would take?

Those Preludes have a nice, clean design to them BTW.  Not flashy but still sleek and agressive.  Kind of like notchback 240sx.

Looks like you're making a pretty penny off of this parts car.  Are the seats in good shape.  You could make a good deal with them.  And the tires/wheels too if you don't mind putting it on blocks...

Fire It Up

I should try this later and see if I get some money.  

Founder of CarSPIN Turbo Club

Run Away

Front Bumper and rad off

Rad

Engine Bay

The reach to loosen P/S tensioner bolt

A/C Condender out. Big ass mofo.

Where the condenser was

P/S pump out

Engine Bay

Took off the hood

Alternator out

Top half of intake mani out

Engine Bay

Anybody know what this is? Was in the rag I used to catch the fuel in the rail when I removed it

Fuel Rail

Injector. Anybody know how to remove the wirring to it? I tried prying and pulling while pushing in at various places....didn't work.

Dropped the hood back on and called it a day

All I have left is I'm going to remove the rest of the intake mani, take off the axles and downpipe and I should be ready to pull.
I know I took alot more off that I needed to, but this way it's easier and it makes more room the less things are attached to it.

280Z Turbo

If that A/C compressor is big then mine must be a monster. It was hard to tell, but that doesn't look that big.

I'd keep the radiator in case yours ever leaks. The fan may be helpful as well to keep your car running cooler.

Your injector wires are not the quick release style, they're the wire locked kind. You need to pry away the wire off to release it. I usually use a small screwdriver.

footoflead

Injector. Anybody know how to remove the wirring to it? I tried prying and pulling while pushing in at various places....didn't work.

i think i see how to take it off.....look at the injector in the pic....follow the wire to the plastic connecter...you should see a little gap towards the end of the plastic that looks like you can stick a small screw driver in...that should relese the wire from the injector...

Hope this helps...i know i didnt explain it very well but i think this might help you

post if you get'em off
Speed is my drug, Adrenaline my addiction
Racing is an addiction...and the only cure is poverty
Sometimes you just have to floor it and hope for the best
Member of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's

TBR

Does the AC condensor work? You could probably get at least $150 for it.  

Run Away

I'm pretty sure it worked, I only tested it during winter, but the green light was light up (if something doesn't work, the light turns red).
I'm probably just going to sell the seats and pillage the suspension and brakes then drop it off at the junkyard.
The suspension I can clean up and maybe powdercoat or paint then install in my car, the brakes I'll bring in as cores when I buy some new rebuilt ones.

FOL: I know how to get the injector off, I'm part of many forums, some of which are Prelude specific, and as I have posted this thread in almost all of them that question has been answered many times, but thanks! :D  

TBR

QuoteDoes the AC condensor work? You could probably get at least $150 for it.
I meant compressor, though I am sure you figured that out.  

Run Away

Getting started

Axles off

Got the hoist set up

Misc on the way out:

Free at last

Finally empty

Dropping it into the trailer

Engine in the trailer with the intake manifold and tranny off

Intake ports on the head

Intake Manifold

Tranny

It's finally out! Lots of bad weather and a full schedule kept me from getting it out sooner.

Run Away

Raghavan

Why don't you take off all the body panels and sell them on ebay if they are in good condition?

Run Away

The driver's side has a dent running along the whole car, the passenger side rear quarter has a bit of rust, as does the passenger side door.
The only good exterior panel is the pasenger side front fender, which I have almost sold already.
The trunk is in OK condition but it's got a bit of rust too.

Run Away

Put those foglights to good use and now my car has working foglights for the first since I bought the car.

I also replaced my rusty bumper (no the cover, the actual metal part) because it was in REALLY bad shape. Nice and safe now. :praise:

Raghavan

Fire It Up

What are you planning to do with your new parts car Ben?

Founder of CarSPIN Turbo Club

Run Away

Rebuild the engine and either use or sell the 4WS.
I'll be keeping the aluminum rims too, along with the tranny, ECU, front bumper and power locks.
Anything else that I havn't sold is going to the junkyard.

Raghavan

QuoteRebuild the engine and either use or sell the 4WS.
I'll be keeping the aluminum rims too, along with the tranny, ECU, front bumper and power locks.
Anything else that I havn't sold is going to the junkyard.
why the rims? the ones on your regular car look much better.

Run Away

Because they'd make nice winter rims (I have a set of steelies but they're ugly) and they're free, plus they are super rare.
Those rims were only offered in 1988, only on the Prelude, and only on the 4WS versions.

Raghavan

QuoteBecause they'd make nice winter rims (I have a set of steelies but they're ugly) and they're free, plus they are super rare.
Those rims were only offered in 1988, only on the Prelude, and only on the 4WS versions.
if they're super rare, then why use them as winter rims?

Run Away

I'll keep the better looking rims for the summer, so that means the sawblades are my summer rims. If I can find a local buyer for these rims I could sell them, but that's unlikely as 3g Preludes are not that common, and while they are nice looking rims, they are nothing outstanding.

There will probably be a few people in the US that will want to buy thm but shipping would be very expensive and I don't want to mess with customs and packing them, etc.

Raghavan

QuoteI'll keep the better looking rims for the summer, so that means the sawblades are my summer rims. If I can find a local buyer for these rims I could sell them, but that's unlikely as 3g Preludes are not that common, and while they are nice looking rims, they are nothing outstanding.

There will probably be a few people in the US that will want to buy thm but shipping would be very expensive and I don't want to mess with customs and packing them, etc.
or you could go ricer style and stick 2 of each kind on your car! :lol:  

Run Away

Ricer style would be to buy 2 18" rims and put them on the rear wheels but leave the fronts stock and claim for them to be your "drag wheels".:P