My gas mileage sucks

Started by the Teuton, May 18, 2008, 01:48:58 PM

280Z Turbo

Quote from: Laconian on May 18, 2008, 10:57:05 PM
Check the emergency brake. :lol:

The Accord is a pretty efficient car, but even its instantaneous MPGs of the Accord are horrendous (10-15) while accelerating. If 100% of your driving is like this, well, of course it will average out to crap. If "biting the bullet" means getting a more efficient car, you'll be extremely hard pressed to find one that doesn't suck in a pure stop and go existence.

Even a Honda CRX is capable of acheiving just 12 mpg. :lol: (on a racetrack)

the Teuton

I'm not replacing my car anytime soon, but I think I'm going to replace the sparkplug wires if that's what might be killing my efficiency.  They might be as old as the engine (14 years and 117k), and the guy who changed my engines said they might need to be replaced soon.  I just had no idea they made that big of a difference.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

The Pirate

Dude, I don't think you're going to get any better than 15 mpg with the way your commute is.  I've no doubt the car could post about 22 mpg if you were doing a 10 to 15 mile stint in light traffic.  But a 4 mile drive in dense traffic is going to give you crappy mileage, no matter what.  You're always on and off the gas and brakes, and thus never have the ability to get to a sustained, constant speed (which is where cars are most efficient).  I get shit mileage when I'm in traffic, too. 

And I probably drive about 55 miles per day, half of it being in traffic like that too.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Byteme

Quote from: The Pirate on May 19, 2008, 12:40:06 PM
Dude, I don't think you're going to get any better than 15 mpg with the way your commute is.  I've no doubt the car could post about 22 mpg if you were doing a 10 to 15 mile stint in light traffic.  But a 4 mile drive in dense traffic is going to give you crappy mileage, no matter what.  You're always on and off the gas and brakes, and thus never have the ability to get to a sustained, constant speed (which is where cars are most efficient).  I get shit mileage when I'm in traffic, too. 

And I probably drive about 55 miles per day, half of it being in traffic like that too.

:hesaid: :hesaid: :hesaid: :hesaid: :hesaid: :hesaid: :hesaid: :hesaid:

r0tor

my mother's 6 gets 14mpg pretty regularly on her commute which is about 2 miles each way.  Engines run pig rich until they get fully warmed up.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

the Teuton

That sucks then.

On another note, I am having one of the BMW techs check out my car tomorrow.  He, too, is a Subaru owner.  :lol:
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

TBR

I'll ponder that later today when I am pumping my car full of $50+ of gas (while basking in amazement that I actually made it more than a week on one tank).

Seriously, I doubt there is anything wrong.

the Teuton

For the cost of a pack of Marlboro Reds, I found out that I need:

-Fuel Filter
-Tensioner/idler pulley
-PCV valve
-Air Filter
-And some transfer case fluid.

Not a bad value if you ask me.

Rupert

I need some of those things, too.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

the Teuton

I'm still going to fix a lot of those parts I listed, but I just got done with a 130 mile drive back to the 'Burgh.  I drafted some semis, averaged maybe 65-70 mph, and just got 30.2 mpg, so I have about 2/3 tank left, and I unfortunately paid $3.799 for it.

Gas back home might be the most expensive of all of the eastern US at $3.999 right now.  It's terrible.

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

The Pirate

Quote from: the Teuton on May 26, 2008, 10:19:26 PM
I'm still going to fix a lot of those parts I listed, but I just got done with a 130 mile drive back to the 'Burgh.  I drafted some semis, averaged maybe 65-70 mph, and just got 30.2 mpg, so I have about 2/3 tank left, and I unfortunately paid $3.799 for it.

Gas back home might be the most expensive of all of the eastern US at $3.999 right now.  It's terrible.

Yeah dude, it's ~$4.11 here.

After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

the Teuton

Gas prices suck right now.  I'm sorry for you guys.  Prices here are $3.93-97 right now.

I hope the prices go down some after the holiday.

S204STi

Quote from: the Teuton on May 20, 2008, 05:06:08 PM
For the cost of a pack of Marlboro Reds, I found out that I need:

-Fuel Filter
-Tensioner/idler pulley
-PCV valve
-Air Filter
-And some transfer case fluid.

Not a bad value if you ask me.

T-case fluid?  WTF did you put in those Marlboro Reds?

The Pirate

Quote from: the Teuton on May 26, 2008, 10:40:46 PM
Gas prices suck right now.  I'm sorry for you guys.  Prices here are $3.93-97 right now.

I hope the prices go down some after the holiday.

I'd love to be paying less, but I doubt they are going to be dropping anytime soon.  In fact, they keep creeping up, at least here.  NY has some of the highest fuel taxes in the nation.  I don't recall our ranking, but we're in the top 5.  I'd never thought it would cost $60 to fill up an economy car though.  :mask:  My car does have a rather large tank for being a compact though.

S204STi

I was listening to a local Consumer Advocate show on the radio and the guy was trying explain to this idiot caller that she has no reason to trade in her car which is 100% paid off with only 40k miles on it for a Hybrid.  Why is it that people think that by going 20-25k in the hole they are going to beat high gas prices?  The fact is that if you have a vehicle that is paid off with lower mileage you are probably better off holding onto it, even if it is a relative gas hog, till it dies and you really need a new car.  Then you could get whatever you want, but for the time being just suck it up and deal with the higher prices.

the Teuton

Quote from: R-inge on May 26, 2008, 10:44:26 PM
T-case fluid?  WTF did you put in those Marlboro Reds?

He didn't know exactly what to call it (his Subie is FWD), but the front diff fluid?  I'm at about 3/4 level right now.  What do you call it?

S204STi

Quote from: the Teuton on May 26, 2008, 10:47:14 PM
He didn't know exactly what to call it (his Subie is FWD), but the front diff fluid?  I'm at about 3/4 level right now.  What do you call it?

Um...gear oil?  :lol:

Automatic Subies have a sealed front diff which takes 75w-90 gear oil, while the trans portion uses something like Dexron (it was dexron on the older cars, they use something else now I think).

S204STi

I guess you could drain and refill your diffs with Mobil 1 gear oil, that might help reduce drivetrain loses marginally.

The Pirate

Quote from: R-inge on May 26, 2008, 10:46:54 PM
I was listening to a local Consumer Advocate show on the radio and the guy was trying explain to this idiot caller that she has no reason to trade in her car which is 100% paid off with only 40k miles on it for a Hybrid.  Why is it that people think that by going 20-25k in the hole they are going to beat high gas prices?  The fact is that if you have a vehicle that is paid off with lower mileage you are probably better off holding onto it, even if it is a relative gas hog, till it dies and you really need a new car.  Then you could get whatever you want, but for the time being just suck it up and deal with the higher prices.

Good point, and I hear this all the time.  I work with a guy that drives a 2002 (or so) Subaru Legacy wagon.  It's paid off, and he's talking about selling it to get a Honda Fit or something.  It makes perfect sense to take on a $350 car payment (and raise your insurance costs as well) so you can save $100 per month on fuel.  :rolleyes:

Though, I'm tempted to encourage his line of thinking here, so I can pick up his Subie!  I'll tell him it gets crappy mileage because of the AWD, so it's resale value is very poor!  :devil:

the Teuton

What the hell is this and does it really work?

My dad sent it to me.

http://www.saveongaseasy.com/

Soup DeVille

Quote from: the Teuton on May 29, 2008, 08:39:41 PM

My dad sent it to me.

100% old school bullshit.

That black stuff on your tailpipe isn't gasoline- it's carbon, and it's what happens when you burn hydrocarbons like gasoline.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Soup DeVille

Quote from: The Pirate on May 26, 2008, 10:52:00 PM

Good point, and I hear this all the time.  I work with a guy that drives a 2002 (or so) Subaru Legacy wagon.  It's paid off, and he's talking about selling it to get a Honda Fit or something.  It makes perfect sense to take on a $350 car payment (and raise your insurance costs as well) so you can save $100 per month on fuel.  :rolleyes:

Though, I'm tempted to encourage his line of thinking here, so I can pick up his Subie!  I'll tell him it gets crappy mileage because of the AWD, so it's resale value is very poor!  :devil:

At night, siphon gas out of his car. Or, let some air out of his tires. Or spray paint half of his air cleaner.

Be inventive. I know you can "reduce his gas mileage" sufficiently enough to make him just run out and buy that Fit.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

the Teuton

Quote from: Soup DeVille on May 29, 2008, 08:44:17 PM
100% old school bullshit.

That black stuff on your tailpipe isn't gasoline- it's carbon, and it's what happens when you burn hydrocarbons like gasoline.

But what about the product?

Soup DeVille

Quote from: the Teuton on May 29, 2008, 08:39:41 PM

My dad sent it to me.

All of the testimonials on the sight involve older cars, many of which are carbureted. I would guess that this stuff is nothing more than a type of detergent that can remove deposits from metering jets and injectors and return them to running like they should. There are already many products that do the exact same thing.

All the talk about "molecule spacing," "esters," and "excited molecules" is old fashioned horse hockey.

280Z Turbo

A guy at work believed in the 250 mpg carburetor story. You know, the one where the oil companies hire an assassin to take him out and destroy his design?

I tried to explain to him that:

1.) A normal Otto cycle gasoline engine can't run that lean
2.) Carburetors are primitive technology that don't have the capacity for precise engine management
3.) Somebody else would have invented it by now
4.) Automakers spend millions every year just to get a few extra MPG

...but he would hear none of it.

Soup DeVille

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on May 29, 2008, 09:33:32 PM
A guy at work believed in the 250 mpg carburetor story. You know, the one where the oil companies hire an assassin to take him out and destroy his design?

I tried to explain to him that:

1.) A normal Otto cycle gasoline engine can't run that lean
2.) Carburetors are primitive technology that don't have the capacity for precise engine management
3.) Somebody else would have invented it by now
4.) Automakers spend millions every year just to get a few extra MPG

...but he would hear none of it.

Well, I think carburetors are marvelously complex and ingenious little devices, but otherwise you're 1000% right.

S204STi

Quote from: Soup DeVille on May 29, 2008, 09:40:48 PM
Well, I think carburetors are marvelously complex and ingenious little devices, but otherwise you're 1000% right.
I have to agree, carbs are mind-blowingly clever.  I also am totally lost around one, even though I'm a driveability tech... :sadsack:

Soup DeVille

Quote from: R-inge on May 31, 2008, 03:29:05 PM
I have to agree, carbs are mind-blowingly clever.  I also am totally lost around one, even though I'm a driveability tech... :sadsack:

I just finished rebuilding the Qijet for the Caddy, and although its something I've done maybe a dozen times, I'm only beginning to really understand how it works, how it transfers from the idle circuit to the partial primary circuits, to the secondary circuit, and all that.

They're like swiss watches- there's nothing new or cutting edge about any of the technology, but it took somebody that was pretty damned clever to get the thing to work in the first place.