My gas mileage sucks

Started by the Teuton, May 18, 2008, 01:48:58 PM

S204STi

Quote from: Soup DeVille on May 31, 2008, 03:33:28 PM
I just finished rebuilding the Qijet for the Caddy, and although its something I've done maybe a dozen times, I'm only beginning to really understand how it works, how it transfers from the idle circuit to the partial primary circuits, to the secondary circuit, and all that.

They're like swiss watches- there's nothing new or cutting edge about any of the technology, but it took somebody that was pretty damned clever to get the thing to work in the first place.

That's a great analogy. :praise:

GoCougs

My area is finally off winter gas it seems, as now I'm getting 29-30 as opposed to 26-27.

For all the faults I see, the V6 Accord is shockingly easy on gas given its size, power and performance.

dazzleman

Quote from: Psilos on May 18, 2008, 11:22:20 PM
Buying a car specifically for a commute is really silly when it's a college kind of job that won't last more than a year or so.

I agree.

Jake, you have the 'perfect storm' for bad gas mileage.  A short drive with dense traffic.  The engine isn't as efficient when it's cold, and you're spending the whole ride in stop-and-go traffic, which is the worst for gas mileage.

I don't think you should get another car.  The ride is too short to justify that.  Even though your gas mileage sucks, you're still not using that much since the drive is short.  That's a lot better than shitty gas mileage on a long ride, and not being able to afford a different car, which is the case for some people I know.

If the money you're spending really bothers you, then bite the bullet and take the bus.  Or walk or bike it.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Lebowski

Quote from: R-inge on May 26, 2008, 10:46:54 PM
I was listening to a local Consumer Advocate show on the radio and the guy was trying explain to this idiot caller that she has no reason to trade in her car which is 100% paid off with only 40k miles on it for a Hybrid.  Why is it that people think that by going 20-25k in the hole they are going to beat high gas prices?  The fact is that if you have a vehicle that is paid off with lower mileage you are probably better off holding onto it, even if it is a relative gas hog, till it dies and you really need a new car.  Then you could get whatever you want, but for the time being just suck it up and deal with the higher prices.

I'm always amazed with people who fall for this line of thinking as well.  Buying a new car before you need one to save on gas is a pretty stupid idea.

And even when it IS time to buy a new car, buying a new hybrid vs. a comparable gasoline engine isn't always worth it, i.e. a Prius versus a Civic or something, or a $50k+ Tahoe Hybrid vs. a <$40k non-hybrid Tahoe, it takes years for the gas savings to offset the higher purchase price.

Lebowski

Teuton, I don't think you have anything to worry about.  I have a short commute in crappy traffic, and I only get about 12mpg (my car is rated 18/28).  The cold engine and bad traffic kill your gas mileage, there's nothing you can do about it other than ride your bike to work.  But the flip side is, because of our short commutes we don't spend much on gas, so don't worry about it.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Lebowski on May 31, 2008, 04:40:44 PM
I'm always amazed with people who fall for this line of thinking as well.  Buying a new care before you need one to save on gas is a pretty stupid idea.

And even when it IS time to buy a new car, buying a new hybrid vs. a comparable gasoline engine isn't always worth it, i.e. a Prius versus a Civic or something, or a $50k+ Tahoe Hybrid vs. a <$40k non-hybrid Tahoe, it takes years for the gas savings to offset the higher purchase price.

Image has always played a far more important role in car marketting than any practical concerns.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Lebowski

Quote from: Soup DeVille on May 31, 2008, 04:43:29 PM
Image has always played a far more important role in car marketting than any practical concerns.

Yes, I'm very aware of that.

I think it's funny that all these rich people (mostly women) drive a Prius and have this holier than thou attitude about how "green" they are.  Yet, how many of these people were driving Tercels before the Prius came out?  They drive them because they like the "green" image, not because they actually give a shit about the environment.  I bet most of these people wouldn't be caught dead driving a Carolla.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Lebowski on May 31, 2008, 05:49:30 PM

I think it's funny that all these rich people (mostly women) drive a Prius and have this holier than thou attitude about how "green" they are.  Yet, how many of these people were driving Tercels before the Prius came out?  They drive them because they like the "green" image, not because they actually give a shit about the environment.  I bet most of these people wouldn't be caught dead driving a Carolla.

They're also likely the ones that will circle the mall parking lot 42 times looking for a close spot rather than walk from the back.

Its also why all the hybrids for sale are only avaialable in the shittiest muted colors avaialable since the mid '70s.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Lebowski

Quote from: Soup DeVille on May 31, 2008, 06:09:27 PM
They're also likely the ones that will circle the mall parking lot 42 times looking for a close spot rather than walk from the back.

Its also why all the hybrids for sale are only avaialable in the shittiest muted colors avaialable since the mid '70s.

Do you watch Curb Your Enthusiasm?  Larry David's wife on that show is the perfect stereotypical rich California woman who drives a Prius.

She's filthy rich, drives a prius, buys sandpaper-like "green" toilet paper, yet they live in alike a 10,000 square foot house ... I'm sure it doesn't cost much to air condition that place.

dazzleman

Quote from: Lebowski on May 31, 2008, 07:31:16 PM
Do you watch Curb Your Enthusiasm?  Larry David's wife on that show is the perfect stereotypical rich California woman who drives a Prius.

She's filthy rich, drives a prius, buys sandpaper-like "green" toilet paper, yet they live in alike a 10,000 square foot house ... I'm sure it doesn't cost much to air condition that place.

That's how most of those people are.  Totally hypocritical, and just laughable.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Cookie Monster

Do you guys think it's stupid to trade in an MDX for $20k for a $20k TSX with one third the miles and gets about 12 MPG (mixed) more?
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

S204STi

Quote from: thecarnut on May 31, 2008, 09:49:04 PM
Do you guys think it's stupid to trade in an MDX for $20k for a $20k TSX with one third the miles and gets about 12 MPG (mixed) more?

Assuming equal value, I don't think that would be silly.

Lebowski

Quote from: thecarnut on May 31, 2008, 09:49:04 PM

Not necessarily, depends on the situation and the needs of the person considering it.

Cookie Monster

Quote from: Lebowski on May 31, 2008, 10:37:54 PM
Not necessarily, depends on the situation and the needs of the person considering it.
My dad uses it to commute to work every day, and he doesn't take anyone else... with gas well over $4.50 for premium, I'm trying to push him into something smaller that gets better MPG's.

Regular here is $4.48 or so. :mask:
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Lebowski

Quote from: thecarnut on May 31, 2008, 10:46:38 PM
My dad uses it to commute to work every day, and he doesn't take anyone else... with gas well over $4.50 for premium, I'm trying to push him into something smaller that gets better MPG's.

Regular here is $4.48 or so. :mask:

Sounds like it makes sense in his case, if he doesn't need the space of an SUV.

Why is this thread a sticky?

sportyaccordy

Get a FWD car man...

I get better mileage flooring it all the time. (17mpg is my worst)

Danish

I bet most of these people wouldn't be caught dead driving a Carolla.

Hey hey, no need to knock the almighty Corolla
Quote from: Lebowski on December 17, 2008, 05:46:10 PM
No advice can be worse than Coug's, in any thread, ever.

Rupert

I know a few Prius owners, and none of them have a holier than thou greenie attitude.  :huh:
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Laconian

Most of the Prius owners I know are buying as a hedge against gas prices. Their smugness comes from knowing that they only have to fill up once every two weeks, not from being holier than thou. :lol:
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

S204STi

Quote from: Laconian on June 07, 2008, 12:34:42 PM
Most of the Prius owners I know are buying as a hedge against gas prices. Their smugness comes from knowing that they only have to fill up once every two weeks, not from being holier than thou. :lol:

Yeah too bad they paid too much for that priviledge.  They get to own their car for several years to make it back, and hopefully in that time their powertrain doesn't have issues... :lol:

Lebowski

Quote from: Laconian on June 07, 2008, 12:34:42 PM

Well their smugness should be tempered by their inability to run a simple DCF analysis indicating they'll never make back the extra cash they spent for a Prius vs. a similar sized, similarly equipped non-hybrid car.

Rich

What cars compare best to the Prius's interior volume?

From my memory I thought it was as big as the midsizers before they got huge (old accord, old malibu, ect...)  If it is, then the 21k price is pretty competitive.

Even still, most "compacts" are getting to be about 17k when typically equipped... not far off the 21k for a base Prius, or 23k for the Touring model.

I'm not sure if hybrids have equivalent resale percentages of non hybrids but the extra money to buy a Pruis can probably be recovered at resale.  The cost of gas when buying the non hybrid is not recoverable.
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Laconian

Quote from: R-inge on June 10, 2008, 06:38:45 PM
Yeah too bad they paid too much for that priviledge.  They get to own their car for several years to make it back, and hopefully in that time their powertrain doesn't have issues... :lol:
The first generation Prius batteries have been lasting much longer than expected.

My mom wants to get a Prius now, the one with leather trim, because:
* it's economical, but not perceived as cheap (real estate clients are a shallow, emotional bunch I guess)
* the big hatch can fit her real estate shit as well as the Tribute can, she brought her signs to the dealer to test it out
* it actually exists, whereas the Ford Escape hybrid might as well be vapor, given the waiting list
* good MPGs without the pump penalty of diesel

I'm not the Prius' biggest fan but I do agree with her logic. Good fuel economy in the US is like manual transmissions: it's available on the cheap cars and the expensive cars, but not on many cars in between.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

S204STi

Quote from: HotRodPilot on June 10, 2008, 09:30:02 PM
What cars compare best to the Prius's interior volume?

From my memory I thought it was as big as the midsizers before they got huge (old accord, old malibu, ect...)  If it is, then the 21k price is pretty competitive.

Even still, most "compacts" are getting to be about 17k when typically equipped... not far off the 21k for a base Prius, or 23k for the Touring model.

I'm not sure if hybrids have equivalent resale percentages of non hybrids but the extra money to buy a Pruis can probably be recovered at resale.  The cost of gas when buying the non hybrid is not recoverable.

If you already own a vehicle, then the cost of depreciation on your current vehicle, added to the extra interest you will pay on a higher loan for this vehicle which by default requires more money than say a Corolla since that's a common comparison, added to the cost of depreciation of the new Prius you own will all add up to such an extent that it takes years of fuel savings to recoup.  If everyone is so worried about out of pocket expense, then why is it that they don't seem to care about a higher car payment?  It makes no sense.

Rich

Quote from: R-inge on June 11, 2008, 06:07:20 PM
If you already own a vehicle, then the cost of depreciation on your current vehicle, added to the extra interest you will pay on a higher loan for this vehicle which by default requires more money than say a Corolla since that's a common comparison, added to the cost of depreciation of the new Prius you own will all add up to such an extent that it takes years of fuel savings to recoup.  If everyone is so worried about out of pocket expense, then why is it that they don't seem to care about a higher car payment?  It makes no sense.

I was referring to someone that is looking to buy a new car anyway, who isn't buying a new car because of the cost of gas....

Not everyone wants to hang onto a car forever :lol:
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

S204STi

Quote from: HotRodPilot on June 11, 2008, 06:29:36 PM
I was referring to someone that is looking to buy a new car anyway, who isn't buying a new car because of the cost of gas....

Not everyone wants to hang onto a car forever :lol:

Haha too true...

r0tor

help, my gas mileage i3t da sux0r!

Last time I got gas I dumped a can of BG 44K fuel system/engine cleaner and I've been beating the piss out of my car ever since to get flow through the secondary and tertiary ports and injectors.

any ideas on my poor gas mileage?  :lol:
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

S204STi

Quote from: r0tor on June 13, 2008, 05:43:04 AM
help, my gas mileage i3t da sux0r!

Last time I got gas I dumped a can of BG 44K fuel system/engine cleaner and I've been beating the piss out of my car ever since to get flow through the secondary and tertiary ports and injectors.

any ideas on my poor gas mileage?  :lol:
lmao...try drafting more semis on the way to work.

r0tor

yea, maybe drafting would help my unexplainable gas mileage.  Throttle response while cruising at 70mph in 3rd gear at 7ooo rpms seems downright remarkable... so i can't imagine there being an engine problem
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

S204STi

Quote from: r0tor on June 13, 2008, 08:52:43 AM
yea, maybe drafting would help my unexplainable gas mileage.  Throttle response while cruising at 70mph in 3rd gear at 7ooo rpms seems downright remarkable... so i can't imagine there being an engine problem

Try more WOT acceleration all the way to redline while you're at it.