R1234yf. What is it?

Started by shp4man, May 20, 2019, 05:07:46 PM

shp4man

It's an incredibly expensive new refrigerant for mobile (car) air conditioners.
It requires an incredibly expensive, time consuming as hell A/C machine to service.
Thank you EPA, ya bunch a fucktards.

Hey buddy, how much just to recharge my car's A/C?
Well sir, today, just for you, only $700 bucks! What a deal!

Eye of the Tiger

It's bullshit. I will never own a car with it. You have to buy new gauges and a new machine. It's expensive as fuck. It does nothing better than R134 other than putting money in someone's pocket.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Soup DeVille

So what's the going rate for a case of R12 these days?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Soup DeVille on May 20, 2019, 05:19:31 PM
So what's the going rate for a case of R12 these days?

Who cares? It's super easy to convert R12 to R134a.

93JC

It's a new refrigerant that's about 350 times not as bad a greenhouse gas as R-134a. It's replacing R-134a for the same kind of reason as 134a replaced R-12.

Cost will go down as R-134a production ends and is switched over to the new stuff. This happened when the switch was made from R-12 to R-134a; no one should be surprised the brand new stuff is still expensive.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 93JC on May 20, 2019, 06:57:21 PM
It's a new refrigerant that's about 350 times not as bad a greenhouse gas as R-134a. It's replacing R-134a for the same kind of reason as 134a replaced R-12.

Cost will go down as R-134a production ends and is switched over to the new stuff. This happened when the switch was made from R-12 to R-134a; no one should be surprised the brand new stuff is still expensive.

It's a scam. Global warming is caused by the Sun, not air conditioning.

veeman

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on May 20, 2019, 07:19:01 PM
It's a scam. Global warming is caused by the Sun, not air conditioning.

:lol:

Galaxy

The problem with R1234yf is that trifluoroacetic acid is created when it burns. The car company which is treating that threat with the most ambition is Mercedes, which sprays the engine bay with argon gas in the event of a crash with R1234yf equipped vehicles. The car industry is already starting the switch away from R12344yf to CO2 air conditioning.

93JC

No, the "problem" is that when burned it makes hydrogen fluoride, which can quite literally melt your eyeballs.

Galaxy

You are right it converts to trifluoroacetic acid, and releases hydrogen fluoride.

Regarding the melting of the face. One of Germany's largest car magazine did an experiment with a pig head, right when R1234yf came out, which lead to a public outcry. Probably one of the reasons the german car industry is hesitant about the stuff.

Pig head before:

https://www.autobild.de/bilder/fotos-gefaehrliches-kaeltemittel-r1234yf-1893081.html#bild2

and after 10 seconds of contact with hydrogen fluoride:

https://www.autobild.de/bilder/fotos-gefaehrliches-kaeltemittel-r1234yf-1893081.html#bild4

Eye of the Tiger

Today I got to play with some R12345yiff. $50 per 10 oz can, so ot cost $100 to charge a 2015 Chrysler 200, which is a total piece of shit car.

Laconian

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on May 29, 2019, 02:03:05 PM
Today I got to play with some R12345yiff. $50 per 10 oz can, so ot cost $100 to charge a 2015 Chrysler 200, which is a total piece of shit car.

Why did people buy that car?
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Laconian on May 29, 2019, 04:02:28 PM
Why did people buy that car?

Because they love the Multiair engine?  :pee:

93JC

I thought the Chrysler 200 looked pretty good. :huh:

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 93JC on May 29, 2019, 08:30:36 PM
I thought the Chrysler 200 looked pretty good. :huh:

It looks okay, but try working on one. Blech.

93JC

Isn't that the case with pretty much every new-ish car?

2o6

Quote from: 93JC on May 29, 2019, 08:40:47 PM
Isn't that the case with pretty much every new-ish car?

My Sonic is pretty easy to work on.

From the 200 rental I had awhile back, everything seemed to be pretty sandwiched in there. I can only imagine V6 cars being awful to work on.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 2o6 on May 29, 2019, 09:00:30 PM
My Sonic is pretty easy to work on.

From the 200 rental I had awhile back, everything seemed to be pretty sandwiched in there. I can only imagine V6 cars being awful to work on.

The packaging is nothing unusual, but the quality is garbage. They are throw away cars.
For example, nearly every 3.6 Pentastar we get in has a coolant and/or oil leak from the oil cooler. The thing is under the lower intake manifold, buried in between the cylinder heads, and is surrounded by heat. It's made of fucking plastic, and of course it get brittle and cracks. The things are such shit that new oil coolers from Mopar have expiration dates on the boxes. They aren't even shelf stable.

BimmerM3

My friend's dad is convinced that both his 2nd and 3rd gen Sebring convertibles were/are well-built, high quality vehicles. He loves them. It's the weirdest thing.

I know from personal experience that the 2nd gen turned into an old POS like they all do because he gave it to my friend to drive. But he blames it all on my friend, not Chrysler.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: BimmerM3 on May 29, 2019, 09:30:31 PM
My friend's dad is convinced that both his 2nd and 3rd gen Sebring convertibles were/are well-built, high quality vehicles. He loves them. It's the weirdest thing.

I know from personal experience that the 2nd gen turned into an old POS like they all do because he gave it to my friend to drive. But he blames it all on my friend, not Chrysler.

I'd rather have a first gen Sebring convertible.

At least it looks good while being a piece of shit.

Klackamas

Tough times breed strong people; Strong people create good times; Good times breed weak people; Weak people create tough times.