My Z3

Started by SJ_GTI, July 25, 2019, 07:10:04 AM

SJ_GTI

[Crossposted from Car Chat]

So I bought a Z3 [last Sunday]. The seller was in Maryland, not too far away from my dad's family (they mainly live in the Aberdeen and Havre de Grace areas). I went with my dad yesterday to check it out. The car was in very good shape, but I had some concerns after talking to the seller that he was not meticulous about maintenance (he didn't do anything himself, he would just take it to the BMW dealer if something was wrong). I did buy it though...mainly because it is so lightly used. Its a 2001 Z3 3.0i (3.0L I6) with manual transmission, 24,350 miles. Black exterior, beige interior. It has most options you could get on the Z3 at the time...upgraded sound system, CD player, power top, heated seats, etc...but really the car is pretty basic compared to most cars today.

Anyway, since I was taking the plunge to buy it I figured I'd give it its first big test by driving it home [that same day] in the 98F heat (with my dad driving behind me), keeping a close a eye on the thermostat. The good news is that it never overheated (and the A/C blew cold the whole time, which was a pleasant surprise). Once I got bad to NJ (over the DE bridge) and wasn't so much worried about staties out to ticket summer travelers I stopped and put the top down so I could get a better feel for the car. So much fun...but one thing I noticed was how loose the (rear) tire's grip was. Like most non-car guys he was using all seasons (Cooper brand I think). I could break the tires loose just shifting in to second gear aggressively. I am so used to AWD + summer tires it felt disconcerting, but kind of fun after getting used to it.

When I got home I decided to wash it before putting it in the garage (need to get title and registration in NJ this week, then get it through emissions). For me washing a car is a good way to get acquainted with any small imperfections. Got another pleasant surprise seeing the  water bead up on the paint. I still don't think the guy was a stickler for mechanical maintenance but he must have been a sticker for keeping it waxed. Also didn't see any water intrusion from the top, so that was good. A couple of the wheels had some light curb rash but nothing too bad.

By the time I got done washing it I was overheated and tired myself so i just put it away for now, so no pics yet. I am actually not sure how to even post pics anymore...I deleted my photobucket account when they started charging people to host pictures. I'll have to find a new photo hosting site at some point I guess.

Anyways, my plan is to get it all legal in NJ first but then I'll probably give it to my dad's shop for a while. I feel like the engine could probably use a tune up, would like to get most (or all) of the fluids/filters changed, and have them go over the suspension and brakes. I am also going to order some new tires and hopefully get them put on at the same time.

SJ_GTI

BTW, I did take pics yesterday after I got the new title/tags/registration. I uploaded them to Imgur from home, but here at work Imgur is blocked.  :shakesfist:

After driving around a bit yesterday I dropped it off at the shop where my dad works. Gonna have them check everything through (plus change all the standard fluids/filters). Also ordering tires in the mean time.

I am shopping on tire rack...figuring michelin pilot sport 42's would be the default choice. Cost is about ~810 for the set.

I did notice though that, for some reason, a set of Pirelli P Zero Nero GT's are super cheap...~490 for a set of 4. Kind of amazed...these are the tires I had on my S4 and they were ~250 per tire. I think I am going to go ahead and order these (unless one of you guys knows of a compelling reason not to).

FWIW, I did look at the michelin UHP all-season tires, those are ~635 for a set of 4.

For reference, tire sizes are 225/45R17 in front, 245/40R17 in the back.

12,000 RPM

Congrats again man

Yea PS42s should be fine. Then you can put good all seasons on the R
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

MX793

I'm surprised you got enough wheelspin to feel uncomfortable.  I haven't driven the regular Z3, but a friend let me take his M Roadster of the same vintage for a run through an auto-x course and my recollection was that the TCS/ESP was super intrusive.  Cut the power at the slightest hint of traction loss.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

SJ_GTI

Quote from: MX793 on July 25, 2019, 07:27:22 AM
I'm surprised you got enough wheelspin to feel uncomfortable.  I haven't driven the regular Z3, but a friend let me take his M Roadster of the same vintage for a run through an auto-x course and my recollection was that the TCS/ESP was super intrusive.  Cut the power at the slightest hint of traction loss.

I turned the DSC off...IMHO it is too intrusive to enjoy the car with. I think I would only leave it on if it is raining for something out (although in that case I likely wouldn't be driving the car anyway).

I hadn't driven a RWD car in a playful way in a while, so that is the main reason it felt weird at first (even though I was expecting it).

MX793

Regarding tires, I had a set of P-Zeros on the Mustang (which is different from the Nero, I know) and didn't care for them.  Wet grip was quite poor and they were not very progressive when you reached the limit.  Especially on wet surfaces.  You basically had traction up until you hit the limit, then traction fell sharply.  Grip in the dry was good, but similar behavior when they broke loose.  Ride quality also sucked.  Also got greasy in temperatures under 55F.

The Continental ExtremeContact Sports were a huge improvement across the board.  Better ride quality, more progressive at the limit, way better wet traction, more tolerant of cooler temperatures, and better wear life.  Tire Rack testing shows them on par with the old Michelin PSS in the dry and better wet grip.  Maybe a hair below the newer PS4S, but significantly less money.  I highly recommend them and will be getting another set when these wear out.
Looks like, in your size, you could get a set for $664 from TireRack.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

MrH

Recommend checking Costco prices for tires too BTW.  When I was shopping a month or two ago, they beat pretty much everyone, including tire rack.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

SJ_GTI

Quote from: MX793 on July 25, 2019, 07:41:20 AM
Regarding tires, I had a set of P-Zeros on the Mustang (which is different from the Nero, I know) and didn't care for them.  Wet grip was quite poor and they were not very progressive when you reached the limit.  Especially on wet surfaces.  You basically had traction up until you hit the limit, then traction fell sharply.  Grip in the dry was good, but similar behavior when they broke loose.  Ride quality also sucked.  Also got greasy in temperatures under 55F.

The Continental ExtremeContact Sports were a huge improvement across the board.  Better ride quality, more progressive at the limit, way better wet traction, more tolerant of cooler temperatures, and better wear life.  Tire Rack testing shows them on par with the old Michelin PSS in the dry and better wet grip.  Maybe a hair below the newer PS4S, but significantly less money.  I highly recommend them and will be getting another set when these wear out.
Looks like, in your size, you could get a set for $664 from TireRack.

Interesting feedback, thanks. I never had issues with the P-Zero's on my S4, but then with AWD any flaw in grip would be less noticeable I guess.

My Golf R using ContiSportContact's, I am reasonably happy with those, but again with AWD their grip flaws (dry or wet) might not be as apparent.

Given I will likely only be putting ~2-3k miles a year on this car maybe I'll just spend the money and get the Michelin's...the extra cost spread over ~5 years seems like less of a big deal.

MX793

The EC Sport is a completely different animal from the ContiSportContact.  The CSC line is principly aimed at OEMs and reviews and test results are just so-so.  The EC Sport was specifically designed as an MPSS rival and the reviews reflect that vs the CSC.  If you're after an MPSS caliber tire but want to save some money, the EC Sport is the way to go.
Needs more Jiggawatts

SJ_GTI

Quote from: MrH on July 25, 2019, 07:41:26 AM
Recommend checking Costco prices for tires too BTW.  When I was shopping a month or two ago, they beat pretty much everyone, including tire rack.

I checked, it looks like the tires I would want to consider all member only.

SJ_GTI

Quote from: MX793 on July 25, 2019, 08:03:46 AM
The EC Sport is a completely different animal from the ContiSportContact.  The CSC line is principly aimed at OEMs and reviews and test results are just so-so.  The EC Sport was specifically designed as an MPSS rival and the reviews reflect that vs the CSC.  If you're after an MPSS caliber tire but want to save some money, the EC Sport is the way to go.

You convinced me, I just order to EC sport tires.  :ohyeah:

SJ_GTI

I just talked to my dad about the car. The did the oil change...I didn't check beforehand but the engine take 6.9 quarts of oil. That's a lot of oil for a little car.  :lol: The did change the fuel filter. They checked the air filter and said it really doesn't need one so they left it. The mechanic said it had a code for a crank sensor so they ordered one of those. The gave everything else a once over and they said everything is in remarkably good shape so there isn't anything else they would recommend. They think I am crazy to replace the tires (the Coopers have plenty of tread left) but they mount and balance them tomorrow if they arrive in time (otherwise next week).

Edited to add: I also asked them to do a coolant flush and change that fluid, but again they said it looks perfectly fine the way it is and they definitely would not want to change that, so I figured they know better than me and left it.

GoCougs

SJ_GTI

Quote from: GoCougs on July 25, 2019, 09:21:33 AM
pics of shins

I'm going home for lunch, I'll post them just for you.  :ohyeah:  :lol:

r0tor

I've never been happy with conti's... They always seem to require a large stack of weights to balance and eventually get loud
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

SJ_GTI

CaminoRacer

Dude, excellent purchase. Congrats!
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

GoCougs

Validated.

Does look nice.

MexicoCityM3

Congrats, beautiful color combo. You had one before, no?
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

SJ_GTI

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on July 25, 2019, 11:36:15 AM
Congrats, beautiful color combo. You had one before, no?

Yeah, prior to my first stint in Canada I owned a 2000 Z3 2.3i. Looks almost identical, but the exterior was the light blue color (I think it was Atlanta Bue?). I would love to have gotten that color again, but pickings were slim (within a reasonable driving distance)!

BimmerM3

Quote from: SJ_GTI on July 25, 2019, 11:43:29 AM
Yeah, prior to my first stint in Canada I owned a 2000 Z3 2.3i. Looks almost identical, but the exterior was the light blue color (I think it was Atlanta Bue?). I would love to have gotten that color again, but pickings were slim (within a reasonable driving distance)!

Personally, black on tan is my favorite color combo for pretty much all Bimmers from that era. It looks fantastic.

r0tor

Very nice... Now put on some Michelin PSS'scfor a nicer sidewall
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

cawimmer430

Congrats! Looks good!  :ohyeah:

Have you seen the new Z4? It's HUGE; very wide. Your Z3 is probably tiny by comparison!
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

SJ_GTI

Quote from: cawimmer430 on July 25, 2019, 11:52:09 AM
Congrats! Looks good!  :ohyeah:

Have you seen the new Z4? It's HUGE; very wide. Your Z3 is probably tiny by comparison!

IIRC the first Z4 was only slightly longer and wider, but I think each new model got progressively bigger. I think that first Z4 is the sweet spot on mechanical ability and driving dynamics, but for me the nostalgia and looks pushed me toward the Z3. Interestingly, getting a Z4 would have likely only been a couple grand more, so I do wonder if the Z3 is near its bottom on the depreciation curve.

SJ_GTI

Quote from: r0tor on July 25, 2019, 11:51:06 AM
Very nice... Now put on some Michelin PSS'scfor a nicer sidewall

I already ordered the continentals.  :frown:

FoMoJo

Quote from: SJ_GTI on July 25, 2019, 09:15:28 AM
I just talked to my dad about the car. The did the oil change...I didn't check beforehand but the engine take 6.9 quarts of oil. That's a lot of oil for a little car.  :lol: The did change the fuel filter. They checked the air filter and said it really doesn't need one so they left it. The mechanic said it had a code for a crank sensor so they ordered one of those. The gave everything else a once over and they said everything is in remarkably good shape so there isn't anything else they would recommend. They think I am crazy to replace the tires (the Coopers have plenty of tread left) but they mount and balance them tomorrow if they arrive in time (otherwise next week).

Edited to add: I also asked them to do a coolant flush and change that fluid, but again they said it looks perfectly fine the way it is and they definitely would not want to change that, so I figured they know better than me and left it.
With the low mileage and if the guy serviced regularly at a dealer, it should be in really good shape.

Looks great.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

NomisR

Congrats, looks good!

12,000 RPM

Seeing pics now.... very very nice man
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Eye of the Tiger

This car is good.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Payman

Beautiful car. The Z3 3.0 is one of my alltime faves.  :clap: