2022 VW Golf R Debuts With 315 HP, Torque Vectoring AWD, A Manual Gearbox

Started by cawimmer430, November 04, 2020, 06:50:53 AM

cawimmer430

Hey Raza - 6-SPEED-MANUAL-TRANSMISSION IS STANDARD:ohyeah:

2022 VW Golf R Debuts With 315 HP, Torque Vectoring AWD, A Manual Gearbox And Drift Mode

The Volkswagen Golf R has developed a cult-like following, and fans are in for a treat as the 2022 model is sportier and more powerful than its predecessor.

Starting under the hood, the 2022 Golf R has a turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine that produces 315 hp (235 kW / 319 PS) and 310 lb-ft (420 Nm) of torque. That's an increase of 27 hp (20 kW / 27 PS) and 30 lb-ft (41 Nm).

To the joy of driving enthusiasts, in the United States and Canada, the engine will be paired to a standard six-speed manual transmission. Customers will also be able to opt for a seven-speed dual-clutch gearbox (DSG). Oddly, the European version will be offered exclusively with the DSG – sorry, no manual across the pond.

Regardless of which transmission is selected, all models will come equipped with a performance-oriented all-wheel drive system with torque vectoring. Volkswagen says it helps to eliminate understeer and reduce the car's cornering radius, while also making the model "noticeably more" agile.

How fast is it?

Thanks to this setup, the Golf R can accelerate from 0-62 mph (0-100 km/h) in 4.7 seconds. Given enough room, the hatchback will eventually hit a limited top speed of 155 mph (250 km/h).

The sporty features extend beyond the engine compartment as the Golf R has a sport-tuned suspension with stiffer springs and anti-roll bars. Engineers also added a lightweight aluminum subframe and increased the negative camber on the front axle to allow for higher cornering speeds as well as improved stability. The changes also improve the car's looks as the Golf R sits 0.8 inches (20 mm) lower than the standard model.

When it comes time to stop, owners will be glad to know the Golf R has a beefier braking system that features larger and wider front discs that now measure 14.1 inches (358 mm) tall and 1.3 inches (33 mm) wide. There's also a larger brake master cylinder and two-piston aluminum front calipers.

Besides the aforementioned changes, the model has a modified adaptive damping system, electronic differential locks and a variable-ratio steering system.  Drivers can select from six different driving modes including Comfort, Sport, Race and Individual.

About that 'Drift Mode'

They're joined by two new settings called Special and Drift. Special mode was optimized for the Nordschleife and it features softer damping settings than Race mode to "maintain maximum contact with the road."  This helped the car to cope with the "undulating surfaces" of the Green Hell.

Drift mode, on the other hand, allows the car to – surprise, surprise – drift. It does this by changing the parameters for the electronic stability control system and optimizing power distribution to the all-wheel drive system.

The Golf R also benefits from a vehicle dynamics manager which monitors and optimizes the car's various systems and components. In particular, Volkswagen said it can calculate "optimal clutch control for the selective wheel torque control function to further optimize the agility and stability of the Golf R." It also helps to counteract oversteer and understeer for neutral handling.

Putting aside the performance features, the Golf R has a sportier front bumper with unique air intakes and gloss black accents. The model is also distinguished by a unique grille with a blue crossbar that illuminates as soon as the engine is started.

Further back, there are sportier side skirts, matte chrome exterior mirror caps and 19-inch alloy wheels wrapped in summer performance tires. Rounding out the highlights are a sportier rear bumper, a gloss black diffuser and a four-tailpipe sports exhaust system.

Moving into the cabin, buyers will find Nappa leather sport seats with blue accents and R logos on the backrests. Designers also gave the model faux carbon fiber trim, stainless steel pedal caps and a heated sport steering wheel with a dedicated R button. Other niceties include a digital instrument cluster and a 10-inch infotainment system with R-specific displays.

Coming to North America next year

The 2022 Volkswagen Golf R will go on sale in the United States in the "latter part of 2021" and pricing will be announced closer to launch.

Link: https://www.carscoops.com/2020/11/2022-vw-golf-r-debuts-with-315-hp-torque-vectoring-awd-a-manual-and-drift-mode/
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

SJ_GTI

Oh snap. I assumed my next car would be Subaru (WRX likely since I get the employee discount), but that sounds pretty sweet. And I very much prefer the hatchback body style.

The trick will be is it worth an extra ~10-15k over a WRX.

Eye of the Tiger

Artificially limited to 155 MPH? Pffffffft. My Jeep isn't artificially limited. :hammerhead:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

MrH

Looks good.  I want to see the new STI though.  I have high hopes that it'll be decent.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Payman

Nice evolution of the design, except the Civic-esque "blades" on the lower front fascia that everything else seems to have as well. Good looking interior, and love that a manual is standard. But I still feel it seems slow for a 315 hp AWD compact car. Unless that reflects a 0-60 time with the manual gearbox (which would make sense and actually pretty good), this should be in the 4.2 - 4.4 second range with the DCT.

SJ_GTI

I think the front end is a lot more cohesive than my car...I like it.

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: Rockraven on November 04, 2020, 08:26:08 AM
Nice evolution of the design, except the Civic-esque "blades" on the lower front fascia that everything else seems to have as well. Good looking interior, and love that a manual is standard. But I still feel it seems slow for a 315 hp AWD compact car. Unless that reflects a 0-60 time with the manual gearbox (which would make sense and actually pretty good), this should be in the 4.2 - 4.4 second range with the DCT.

It usually takes a tick or two to get from 60 to 62.5 and manufacturer estimates are usually pretty conservative. I wouldn't be surprised to see the manual doing 4.5 in magazine tests and the DCT doing 4.1-4.2 with launch control (completely useless number, honestly).

Looks like a sunroof will be available too! I'm getting one.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

SJ_GTI

I saw on TCL that it is only coming in three colors: Blue, Black, and White.

Payman

Quote from: Raza  on November 04, 2020, 11:04:49 AM
It usually takes a tick or two to get from 60 to 62.5 and manufacturer estimates are usually pretty conservative. I wouldn't be surprised to see the manual doing 4.5 in magazine tests and the DCT doing 4.1-4.2 with launch control (completely useless number, honestly).

Looks like a sunroof will be available too! I'm getting one.

Can you get plaid seats or is that GTi specific?

r0tor

It looks like... a Golf R

Hopefully it doesn't understeer like... a Golf R
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Payman

Quote from: r0tor on November 04, 2020, 05:56:42 PM
It looks like... a Golf R

Hopefully it doesn't understeer like... a Golf R

"Regardless of which transmission is selected, all models will come equipped with a performance-oriented all-wheel drive system with torque vectoring. Volkswagen says it helps to eliminate understeer and reduce the car's cornering radius, while also making the model "noticeably more" agile."

SJ_GTI

My Golf does understeer relative to my Z3, but it's way better than any FWD car. Accelerating in a turn helps the car rotate IME,  which to me is a sign of an adequate AWD system. It's not as good as my S4, which could oversteer with acceleration, but it's good and relatively neutral.

r0tor

Quote from: Rockraven on November 04, 2020, 07:27:33 PM
"Regardless of which transmission is selected, all models will come equipped with a performance-oriented all-wheel drive system with torque vectoring. Volkswagen says it helps to eliminate understeer and reduce the car's cornering radius, while also making the model "noticeably more" agile."

They have been using that tagline for a couple generations... It's still a FWD based awd system
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Payman

cawimmer430

Quote from: mzziaz on November 05, 2020, 07:06:33 AM
No manual in Europe? Assholes!!

Probably because if this thing had a manual it wouldn't and couldn't fulfill the fantasy CO2 emissions regulations from the EU[SSR].

Frankly we should be thankful that we can still drive an ICE car in Europe. The idiotic POS EU[SSR] is currently checking if they can legally ban the internal combustion engine.  :(
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

veeman

I'd love to see a comparo between this, Honda Civic Type R, and Hyundai Veloster N.

Payman

Quote from: veeman on November 05, 2020, 09:56:36 AM
I'd love to see a comparo between this, Honda Civic Type R, and Hyundai Veloster N.

Is the Focus RS done? I can't keep up like I used to.

MrH

2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Rockraven on November 05, 2020, 10:55:00 AM

I don't care nearly as much as I did 10 years ago. I don't subscribe to any of the new car magazines anymore (C&D, Motortrend, etc). Instead, I prefer magazines and articles that discuss car culture, history, roadtrips, and other experiences with cars. So I really enjoy the Hagerty magazine and also picked up a copy of The Road Rat, which is a super thick quarterly magazine from the UK.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Laconian

I'd love the Engineering Explained YT channel in magazine form. I'm much more about the technology than the cars themselves. IMO cars became less interesting when their sharp edges got rounded off by computer aids. I like the idea of high performance cars which demand high performance driving. Nowadays, high-po cars just indulge the shitty skills of their trust fund passengers...
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Payman

Quote from: CaminoRacer on November 05, 2020, 11:19:04 AM
I don't care nearly as much as I did 10 years ago. I don't subscribe to any of the new car magazines anymore (C&D, Motortrend, etc). Instead, I prefer magazines and articles that discuss car culture, history, roadtrips, and other experiences with cars. So I really enjoy the Hagerty magazine and also picked up a copy of The Road Rat, which is a super thick quarterly magazine from the UK.

Yeah, up to about 10 yrs ago I had about 20 years of subscriptions to the big 3 car mags. Now I try to keep up with internet snippets.

Payman

Quote from: Laconian on November 05, 2020, 11:28:32 AM
I'd love the Engineering Explained YT channel in magazine form. I'm much more about the technology than the cars themselves. IMO cars became less interesting when their sharp edges got rounded off by computer aids. I like the idea of high performance cars which demand high performance driving. Nowadays, high-po cars just indulge the shitty skills of their trust fund passengers...

He's good. Subscribed.

MX793

Quote from: Rockraven on November 05, 2020, 10:55:00 AM

There might be a new one for Europe at some point.  Ford is done with cars other than the Mustang in the US.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

MX793

My interest has waned as cars got less driver-focused and more about infotainment and driver assistance (autopilot, lane assist, etc).  Also, far more emphasis on SUVs and crossovers, which generally don't appeal to the corner-carving enthusiast in me.

The ubiquity of turbo-4 bangers focused on low/mid range grunt has been a turn-off as well.  They all sound the same (ranging from bland to unpleasant), with the same powerband characteristics.  I guess they are priming us for electric cars.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5