Who Will Be the Next To Get a Ticket?

Started by dazzleman, March 25, 2006, 05:28:01 PM

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

dazzleman

Quote from: RomanChariot on October 09, 2019, 10:13:23 AM
This is exactly why I don't think unmarked police cars should be allowed to make traffic stops. I see reports like this several times a year. If an officer in an unmarked car sees a traffic violation they should call for a marked vehicle to make the stop.

I've never been stopped by an unmarked car but they've always been used in the areas when I've lived.  I always knew what they looked like and when I was younger, I even knew their plate numbers.  Outside the area where I live, I'd be less comfortable with unmarked cars.  I know they're used by the Connecticut State Police.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

dazzleman

I went up to dinner in Newtown tonight, about a 30 minute drive.

I love the drive up there at night because it's mostly country roads with very little traffic, and I get to indulge my right foot a bit.

On the way back, I was coming down a country road with almost no traffic at all.  The speed limit was 40 and I was fluctuating between the high 50s and low 60s, depending upon the curve of the road.

I passed a post that had some contraption on it and when I passed it, lights flashed momentarily.  I suspect it might be some type of speed camera, but I wasn't aware that speed cameras were used in this state.

I thought I might get pulled over further down the road, but nothing happened.  Now I'll wait and see if I get a speeding ticket in the mail.  I'm not too worried about it.  It's been more than 6 years since my last speeding ticket so I'm overdue.  I got a camera ticket a few years ago for using an illegal turnaround on a highway in Boston, but it's been quite a while since I got any type of ticket.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

MrH

Quote from: dazzleman on October 07, 2019, 06:44:15 PM
How much is the fine?  Do you.have points on your license already?

The cop said probably $130 or something.  I haven't gotten one in a few years so I think I'm point free right now.

2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

dazzleman

Quote from: MrH on October 14, 2019, 07:06:23 AM
The cop said probably $130 or something.  I haven't gotten one in a few years so I think I'm point free right now.

Then it's really no sweat, I guess.

MrH

$142.  Paid online to this tiny city's website.  I'm guessing I'll get 2 points out of it?  Something like that.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

dazzleman

Quote from: MrH on October 18, 2019, 08:01:07 AM
$142.  Paid online to this tiny city's website.  I'm guessing I'll get 2 points out of it?  Something like that.

Will you change your driving habits at all as a result of this?

Eye of the Tiger

I have zero points on my record now. This is lame. I need something fast.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

dazzleman

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on October 18, 2019, 08:07:05 PM
I have zero points on my record now. This is lame. I need something fast.

Same for me.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: dazzleman on October 19, 2019, 05:40:03 AM
Same for me.

My truck can do just over 100 mph, downhill, with the wind. What about your car?

dazzleman

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on October 19, 2019, 07:12:29 AM
My truck can do just over 100 mph, downhill, with the wind. What about your car?

I let L. Ed Foote drive my car once and he got it up to 140 mph.  I don't have the balls to go that fast but the car can do it.

MrH

Quote from: dazzleman on October 18, 2019, 06:54:48 PM
Will you change your driving habits at all as a result of this?

No.  Not at all :lol:
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

dazzleman

CaminoRacer

I maxed out my Bolt yesterday. It's limited to 92. I actually got it to read 93 for a few seconds.

It's funny because it can reach 92 very quickly and then it just stays there. I'm curious if the limiter is due to the motor rpm limits or just because the engineers are mean and no fun
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

dazzleman

Quote from: CaminoRacer on October 20, 2019, 10:58:41 PM
I maxed out my Bolt yesterday. It's limited to 92. I actually got it to read 93 for a few seconds.

It's funny because it can reach 92 very quickly and then it just stays there. I'm curious if the limiter is due to the motor rpm limits or just because the engineers are mean and no fun

I imagine it's for safety reasons, which means it's the latter.  Sounds like a fun drive.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: CaminoRacer on October 20, 2019, 10:58:41 PM

Dakota is faster than Bolt. :devil:

veeman

Was on the New Jersey turnpike just outside of NYC and got nailed by a cop in a Tahoe doing 85 in a 55. I had my license, registration, and insurance card ready in my hand and took off my sunglasses.

You know why I pulled you over?

I was speeding.

How fast do you think you were going?

75 to 80.

I clocked you at 85. This is a 55 mph limit zone.  Why were you in such a hurry?

I don't have any excuse.

Where were you going?

To the mall to meet a friend.

You have any recent tickets?

None for the last few years.

Your license and registration all good?

Yup.  (I hand them to him).

Just sit tight.  I'll be back in a few.  (5 minutes later he comes back to my car).  I cut you a break.  I wrote you up for 59 in a 55...

Whew.  He was a good guy.  I could have gotten really screwed for 30 over if he wanted to.  My last speeding ticket (with points) was something like 4 years ago. 

dazzleman

Quote from: veeman on November 25, 2019, 09:23:43 PM
Was on the New Jersey turnpike just outside of NYC and got nailed by a cop in a Tahoe doing 85 in a 55. I had my license, registration, and insurance card ready in my hand and took off my sunglasses.

I was speeding.

75 to 80.

I clocked you at 85. This is a 55 mph limit zone.  Why were you in such a hurry?

I don't have any excuse.

Where were you going?

Just sit tight.  I'll be back in a few.  (5 minutes later he comes back to my car).  I cut you a break.  I wrote you up for 59 in a 55...

Whew.  He was a good guy.  I could have gotten really screwed for 30 over if he wanted to.  My last speeding ticket (with points) was something like 4 years ago.

That's very similar to what happened to me with my last ticket.  I got nailed 6 years ago on the Taconic State Parkway in New York for 79 in a 55 and the trooper wrote me up for 65.  It was a major break because it not only cut the fine substantially but also prevented me from having to pay assessments based on excessive points for 3 years.  I handled the trooper pretty much the same way you did, with straight honest answers and no bullshit excuses.  They seem to like that.

You got a nice break man.  This story just confirms that you're the type of guy who'd be great to do a road trip with.  :ohyeah:  And I'm due for another ticket.  Six years is too long.

FoMoJo

Quote from: veeman on November 25, 2019, 09:23:43 PM

I was speeding.

75 to 80.

I don't have any excuse.

Where were you going?

He cut you a break okay.  So how much fine is it for 4 mph over the limit?  Couldn't be much.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

dazzleman

Quote from: FoMoJo on November 26, 2019, 08:10:20 AM
He cut you a break okay.  So how much fine is it for 4 mph over the limit?  Couldn't be much.

Plus I don't think this ticket will show up on his license, so it's pretty much a freebie.  My NY speeding ticket never made it onto my driving record.

veeman

Yeah the ticket fine was $85.  I really got super lucky.  If I had ticked the cop off or even mildly irritated him, it would have been bad for me. 

dazzleman

Quote from: veeman on November 26, 2019, 10:30:26 PM
Yeah the ticket fine was $85.  I really got super lucky.  If I had ticked the cop off or even mildly irritated him, it would have been bad for me.

That must.be the minimum.  You really did get lucky but you made your own luck in the way you handled the cop.  It was similar for me.  I got fined $185 on the reduced ticket I got versus $300+ and then $200/year for the next 3 years that I would have gotten if he had written me up for the full speed.

Of course, either way I would have continued to speed.  What car were you driving?

veeman

Subaru Crosstrek.  Here I was on the NJ turnpike.  I've been lead footing it a lot on the Merritt/Hutch Parkway and I know I'll be laying off the gas now for next several months on highways.  Sorry Dazzleman!  Still over the speed limit but more around 10-15 mph over instead of 20+ over. 

dazzleman

Quote from: veeman on November 27, 2019, 07:13:33 AM
Subaru Crosstrek.  Here I was on the NJ turnpike.  I've been lead footing it a lot on the Merritt/Hutch Parkway and I know I'll be laying off the gas now for next several months on highways.  Sorry Dazzleman!  Still over the speed limit but more around 10-15 mph over instead of 20+ over.

We'll see how long that lasts..... :lol:

veeman

Holy cow this morning in the mail I had letters from 4 different law firms in Bergen County, NJ soliciting me for their services to appeal this speeding ticket.  They all knew I got a speeding ticket a few days ago. Is this a new thing?  I've never gotten a solicitation from a law firm before for a traffic violation.

FoMoJo

Quote from: veeman on November 30, 2019, 10:44:02 AM
Holy cow this morning in the mail I had letters from 4 different law firms in Bergen County, NJ soliciting me for their services to appeal this speeding ticket.  They all knew I got a speeding ticket a few days ago. Is this a new thing?  I've never gotten a solicitation from a law firm before for a traffic violation.
Weird.  With all the real crime one would think that lawyers would be too busy to bother with minor traffic tickets.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

giant_mtb

Somebody who has points on their license, doesn't want their insurance to go up, or is near the point of losing their license may be willing to spend a grand on a lawyer to help them.

But yeah, still odd.

dazzleman

Quote from: veeman on November 30, 2019, 10:44:02 AM

Interesting.  I have never had that.happen after I have gotten a ticket.  I bet the NJSP are selling the information about.who they ticket.

dazzleman

Quote from: giant_mtb on November 30, 2019, 11:20:13 AM
Somebody who has points on their license, doesn't want their insurance to go up, or is near the point of losing their license may be willing to spend a grand on a lawyer to help them.

But yeah, still odd.

Definitely.  I would get a lawyer if my license was in danger or the violation was really serious.  His ticket as written was a joke so I'm surprised they bothered going after veeman.

veeman

I once used an attorney when my wife got a ticket in Vermont.  It was a 5 point ticket for speeding.  The lawyer got the points reduced to 2 points and the attorney fees were something like $500. 

I already paid my current speeding ticket on the internet the day after it happened. 

My feeling is probably most jurisdictions don't care about driver points for minor traffic violations and just want your money so there must be some kind of quid pro quo going on between the traffic violation attorneys and county.  Somehow the county is making more money from these traffic attorneys through some sort of fees like you said Dazzleman.