Car Chat

Started by FoMoJo, August 26, 2014, 05:59:31 AM

CaminoRacer

Quote from: giant_mtb on October 04, 2019, 09:43:57 AM
Meh.  Who cares, let the weird foreign cars come on over.  We let people roll around in 100% unsafe rusty shitboxes from the 70s.

i feel attacked
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

giant_mtb

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: MX793 on October 04, 2019, 09:35:56 AM
If the car doesn't meet DOT or EPA, it may still be brought in if it goes through a licensed importer.

What about a latex importer/exporter?
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

MX793

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on October 04, 2019, 10:20:25 AM
What about a latex importer/exporter?

Vandalay Industries was a shell company and a front.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Soup DeVille

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

2o6

Quote from: MX793 on October 04, 2019, 09:35:56 AM
If the car doesn't meet DOT or EPA, it may still be brought in if it goes through a licensed importer.

Uh huh, and then how does it get titled and registered? This car clearly has Ohio plates, which means he has to have an Ohio title. Bringing the car in is the "easy" part. Registering it is the hard part.

I've heard Florida is very lax with assigning titles, and that's a common port of entry for "illegal" cars to enter the USA.

MX793

Quote from: 2o6 on October 04, 2019, 11:14:41 AM

Uh huh, and then how does it get titled and registered? This car clearly has Ohio plates, which means he has to have an Ohio title. Bringing the car in is the "easy" part. Registering it is the hard part.

I've heard Florida is very lax with assigning titles, and that's a common port of entry for "illegal" cars to enter the USA.

The licensed importer gets the title by submitting the applicable forms.

https://www.cbp.gov/trade/basic-import-export/personal-vehicle

I recall my mom telling me that the son of one of her friends was in the military and stationed overseas and brought a JDM car back with him that was less than 25 years old and not a model that was sold in the US.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

2o6

Either way, I'm *pretty* sure that car isn't owned by a serviceman. There's been a lot of these newer cars popping up in the central Ohio area lately. And I'm pretty sure it doesn't conform to EPA and/or DOT standards.

(Also that Jimny is LHD and has to be from Europe, but sometimes a stray LHD JDM car will pop up at auction)

shp4man

In California, these are called " grey market" cars, and have to be certified by a smog referee. If it fails, it's a parts car or sell it in TJ, I guess.
They do allow military people to keep their home state plates, though.

MX793

Quote from: shp4man on October 04, 2019, 01:26:49 PM
In California, these are called " grey market" cars, and have to be certified by a smog referee. If it fails, it's a parts car or sell it in TJ, I guess.
They do allow military people to keep their home state plates, though.

Any time you import a vehicle that was never officially sold in your country, it's a grey market import.  Grey market extends to more than just cars (very popular with watch buyers; a couple of my watches were acquired through the grey market).
Needs more Jiggawatts

FoMoJo

For $7.5 million, you can have this pair of beauties.

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

r0tor

Hmmm... What happens when you decide to only sell trucks and SUVs and your main SUV is an utterr flop?

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparison-test/a29359211/2020-ford-explorer-vs-2020-kia-telluride/
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

giant_mtb

Quote from: r0tor on October 04, 2019, 07:49:37 PM
Hmmm... What happens when you decide to only sell trucks and SUVs and your main SUV is an utterr flop?

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparison-test/a29359211/2020-ford-explorer-vs-2020-kia-telluride/

Explorer sales are indeed down...pretty sharp decline happened this spring.  But they're still selling roughly 2x as many (consistently) as Kia is Tellurides.  Yes, the Telluride is a brand new model so it has room to grow in sales, but its sales have been relatively consistent so far.  All in all, I wouldn't call the Explorer a flop quite yet.  Could be said that the Telluride stole some sales from the Explorer, though, as the Telluride gained some steam around the same time the Explorer declined in sales.

http://fordauthority.com/fmc/ford-motor-company-sales-numbers/ford-sales-numbers/ford-explorer-sales-numbers/
http://carsalesbase.com/us-car-sales-data/kia/kia-telluride/

MX793

Quote from: r0tor on October 04, 2019, 07:49:37 PM

I don't think the Explorer is Ford's "main" SUV anymore.  Their popularity seemed to decline as they got larger over the years.  I think the Escape and Edge both outsell it.
Needs more Jiggawatts

giant_mtb

Quote from: MX793 on October 04, 2019, 08:29:07 PM
I don't think the Explorer is Ford's "main" SUV anymore.  Their popularity seemed to decline as they got larger over the years.  I think the Escape and Edge both outsell it.

The Edge always sold less than the Explorer until the recent decline in Explorer sales and they're fairly similar now.  Escape definitely outsells the Explorer.  Escapes are everywhere.

giant_mtb

Escape and Equinox are the "main" SUVs of the domestics.  Yes, they're CUVs, but they're the bread and butter of the domestic "SUV" market (ie, not-sedans).

AutobahnSHO

Regarding Military: we were told cars must meet all US rules, no exceptions from any other US citizens or import rules. We were warned to not try and ship a German-spec car that doesn't meet DOT glass/ bumper standards, as well as make sure if you buy tires in Germany that the tires are "DOT approved".
Will

cawimmer430

The Pagoda SL looks so stunning in olive green!  :wub:

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

12,000 RPM

Quote from: giant_mtb on October 04, 2019, 08:33:49 PM
The Edge always sold less than the Explorer until the recent decline in Explorer sales and they're fairly similar now.  Escape definitely outsells the Explorer.  Escapes are everywhere.
They just updated the Escape too, and it's good + roomy enough that it could damn near replace the Edge. We are def looking at the Lincoln Escape (Corsair) to replace the MKX when the time comes. I don't think Ford is gonna update the Edge/Nautilus and if it does I can't see it being better value than the Escape/Corsair.

But yea the Exploder hasn't been Ford's main crossover for damn near 20 years.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

giant_mtb

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on October 05, 2019, 06:44:57 AM
They just updated the Escape too, and it's good + roomy enough that it could damn near replace the Edge. We are def looking at the Lincoln Escape (Corsair) to replace the MKX when the time comes. I don't think Ford is gonna update the Edge/Nautilus and if it does I can't see it being better value than the Escape/Corsair.

But yea the Exploder hasn't been Ford's main crossover for damn near 20 years.

Edge has always been an oddball to me, size-wise.  It doesn't feel much bigger than an Escape, but it's definitely smaller than an Explorer. But it is bigger than an Ex-cape...gah. confused. :lol:

MX793

Quote from: giant_mtb on October 05, 2019, 09:32:26 AM
Edge has always been an oddball to me, size-wise.  It doesn't feel much bigger than an Escape, but it's definitely smaller than an Explorer. But it is bigger than an Ex-cape...gah. confused. :lol:

The newest ones gained some length, but the first generation Edge was only a few inches longer than an Escape.  The most noticeable difference was in width, which really only matters if you regularly put 3 people in the back seat.
Needs more Jiggawatts

giant_mtb

I can't believe they shove a 3rd row in the thing. 

FoMoJo

The platform in the Edge is related to the platform used on the Discovery Sport that we have...based on a Volvo platform.  Going from the Escape to the Discovery, the additional width was pretty noticeable, mainly in parking lots where the spaces seemed just a bit too small.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

MX793

Quote from: giant_mtb on October 05, 2019, 09:45:05 AM
I can't believe they shove a 3rd row in the thing. 

The 3rd row version is longer than the 5-seater.  It's long enough for a small 3rd row.  Toyota offered a 3rd row in the '05-'16 generation Rav4, and those were a good 10" shorter in length than the 7-seat Edge.  I think in both cases you lose most of your cargo capacity, so the seats really weren't meant for road-tripping with.  More for occasional use if you need to squeeze a couple of extra people in for a short, around-town trip somewhere.
Needs more Jiggawatts

afty

We have a 3rd row in the Sorento, which is only 184" long.  It's fine for small kids.

FoMoJo

12,000 RPM

I think it's right sized. The little compacts were tiny. The old Escape failed the child seat test miserably. But cars keep getting bigger so now it's massive :huh:
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Gotta-Qik-C7

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

cawimmer430

This is the entrance to a communal garage. I don't think my A-Class would even fit through here! A small car like a DKW Junior from the 1960s probably could make it...

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie