Car Chat

Started by FoMoJo, August 26, 2014, 05:59:31 AM

12,000 RPM

Quote from: MrH on October 15, 2019, 08:05:39 AM
You guys are right.  It's probably out of the system now, but I would argue it did have an effect at the lower end of the market at the time.

84 month loans definitely have something to do with it.  The housing recession probably had more to do with it.  A lack of new car sales will lead to a lack of used car availability down the line.
Yep, it's kind of a perfect storm. Smaller supply of used cars thanks to the recession, and a 6 year stretch of basically 0% fed fund rates.

I think another factor might be the fact that cheaper cars are harder for dealers to make money on thanks to the internet. People generally have to finance a 5 figure car, but 4 figure stuff is well within the realm of private sales and online marketplaces. MX793's point about a lack of offerings from dealers made me think of that
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

MX793

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on October 15, 2019, 08:34:09 AM
Yep, it's kind of a perfect storm. Smaller supply of used cars thanks to the recession, and a 6 year stretch of basically 0% fed fund rates.

I think another factor might be the fact that cheaper cars are harder for dealers to make money on thanks to the internet. People generally have to finance a 5 figure car, but 4 figure stuff is well within the realm of private sales and online marketplaces. MX793's point about a lack of offerings from dealers made me think of that

Good point on dealer profit.  Certainly when you get under $5k, far fewer people require financing, and I think that's where the dealers make some of their money.  I think $7k-8k is probably about the bottom end for most dealerships to make a meaningful profit on a car.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

2o6

Kinda wanna get a new Fit, but I also heard the Fit IV will be Hybrid-auto only - if we even get it. They've been backing off production at the Mexican plant, and the HR-V outsells it 3 to 1.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 2o6 on October 15, 2019, 02:01:36 PM
Kinda wanna get a new Fit, but I also heard the Fit IV will be Hybrid-auto only - if we even get it. They've been backing off production at the Mexican plant, and the HR-V outsells it 3 to 1.

Fuck the HR-V. I'd rather get a Kona.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Eye of the Tiger

Or you can buy my Fiesta ... $10.5K.  :mask:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

FoMoJo

Sometimes, I think that this is my all time favourite sports car...Porsche Speedster

The perfect colours, imo...

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

giant_mtb

I don't know why, but those photos make it look like a really well done model/diorama.

FoMoJo

Quote from: giant_mtb on October 15, 2019, 04:34:04 PM
I don't know why, but those photos make it look like a really well done model/diorama.
A long time ago I saw one parked on the street in those colours.  Just gorgeous.  The design is so simple, yet so elegant.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

12,000 RPM

I think they are just that small and dainty. I'd bet they are even smaller in real life

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on October 16, 2019, 05:14:56 AM
I think they are just that small and dainty. I'd bet they are even smaller in real life

They are. But much bigger than the 550 Spyders.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

MX793

Probably the lighting.  One thing that's hard to scale is reflectance and some textures (like metal grain).  That's often the give-away of whether it's a miniature or the real thing.  I think those that do really good miniatures tend to select specific lighting (dimmer, more diffuse) to help mask the texture and reflectance differences of the model.  The lighting here is sort of the same you see used in a lot of scale model photographs.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

r0tor

Adding some perspective from cars and coffee

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

r0tor

Oooppps just noticed that was a speedster and not a spyder... Oh well
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Morris Minor

Quote from: FoMoJo on October 15, 2019, 04:11:45 PM
Sometimes, I think that this is my all time favourite sports car...Porsche Speedster

The perfect colours, imo...
Gorgeous - (I also like the battleship gray w/ red interior combo you sometimes see)
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤

FoMoJo

Not unlike many/most sports cars/roadsters of that era.

veeman

There are certain relatively rare cars, that whenever I see one, I think of a particular movie. For the Porsche Speedster:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ib8QahlcZNw

FoMoJo

CaminoRacer

Overall shape is cool, but some details like the headlights are nasty
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

r0tor

Yea... Not really feeling that

giant_mtb

Could be better.  The headlights that don't look like they actually have headlights are weird.  And the stacked vents aft of the doors look out of place.

Other than that, really neat design.

2o6

I'm gonna start branding my 3D models as "concepts" and see if auto news sites run with it.

FoMoJo

Quote from: CaminoRacer on October 16, 2019, 10:20:48 AM
Overall shape is cool, but some details like the headlights are nasty
I don't really understand the lights, they don't even look like lights, but I do think that the swooping lines and overall shape are brilliant.  I'm not usually that keen on contemporary prototype renderings that are trying to capture a vehicle from the past but, even as art, this is quite spectacular, imo.

The original...

cawimmer430

RUNNING ON FUMES!

Me: "Hey Mercedes, what's my range?"

Mercedes: "You have a range of 23 km (14 miles) left."

Not too bad for an almost empty gas tank!  :tounge:

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

MX793

Quote from: 2o6 on October 16, 2019, 11:07:59 AM
I'm gonna start branding my 3D models as "concepts" and see if auto news sites run with it.

How is a 3D CAD rendering any different than a clay model or non-functional physical mock up?  They all convey design concepts, just in different media.  One could argue that a sketch is a form of concept.

Was this rendering from Alfa or some unaffiliated designer?
Needs more Jiggawatts

2o6

Quote from: MX793 on October 16, 2019, 02:33:07 PM
How is a 3D CAD rendering any different than a clay model or non-functional physical mock up?  They all convey design concepts, just in different media.  One could argue that a sketch is a form of concept.

Was this rendering from Alfa or some unaffiliated designer?

This rendering has nothing to do with Alfa Romeo.

I have nothing against any designer or 3D artist putting their shit out there, I just take issue when really shitty auto blogs write about these ideas like they're officially affiliated with the brands and are about to be produced next week.

Laconian

Quote from: 2o6 on October 16, 2019, 02:52:03 PM

This rendering has nothing to do with Alfa Romeo.

I have nothing against any designer or 3D artist putting their shit out there, I just take issue when really shitty auto blogs write about these ideas like they're officially affiliated with the brands and are about to be produced next week.

All about da clicks. THIS IS WHAT THE SUPRA MIGHT LOOK LIKE! (ads)(ads)(ads) (insert rendering from random Korean guy) (ads)(ads)(ads)(ads)
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Laconian

So, the trick is to make renderings of buzzworthy cars, post them on imgur or something, and send hot tipz to content farms with low standards (ie. all modern online media).
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

cawimmer430

This British guy has an interesting and very informative car channel. The attention to historic and mechanical detail is incredible. Some of my favorite videos are...

Some awesome info about the Honda-Rover business relationship.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3StkCd8JIY

The Rover SD Story.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9L7mrUj3mE

www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxqc3LpqsJc

www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiIL4c86VYM

and

:wub: :wub: :wub:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXqTkzMB0oY
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

2o6

Are people *actually* buying electric cars? I know sales are definitely up, but I don't see very many people adopting them en masse where I am.

I think it's weird how automakers are really ramming EV's down our throats.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: 2o6 on October 16, 2019, 06:45:37 PM
Are people *actually* buying electric cars? I know sales are definitely up, but I don't see very many people adopting them en masse where I am.

I think it's weird how automakers are really ramming EV's down our throats.
Phrasing?

People are buying them in California and the EU + China are trying to make them a think like "fetch". I think the big hold up is that we're at like 50% price parity (i.e. EVs from companies concerned with profit cost about 2x what they should). Once something like a Leaf costs what a Versa does then I think they will pick up in sales