Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's

Raghavan

Yay! Most cars don't get through 3  decades. :D

S204STi

Very nice project you've got going there man; I really like the older Z-cars and you got the cream of the crop, IMHO.  Keep us updated. :rockon:  

AutobahnSHO

QuoteProbably not in this one. I have nothing against V8 Zs, but I like the sound, simplicity, and originality of the Nissan L28.

People have dropped in small block Chevy V8s, big block Chevy V8s, small block Chryslers, LS1s, LS2s, SR20s, the diesel version of the L28, VG30s, RB25s, Inifniti V8s, electric motors, Ford 302s, Ford 351s, Cadillac 500 ci V8s...I could go on and on.

The beauty of a Z is that it can swallow just about any engine ever put into a car.
LOL
There's a guy getting ready to put a SHO motor into a 280Z.
He'll also need some major tranny mods, since the SHO was a fwd, but supposedly the tranny of some Aerostars will work..

I love the Z and think he's crazy, but it will still look pretty cool.
If you've never seen the hood up on a SHO, the pics don't do it justice-

Linky
Will

280Z Turbo

I'm sure he isn't getting his money's worth, but it's still pretty neat!

Dropping in a Chevy V8 or dropping in a 280ZX Turbo engine are the cheapest ways to go fast in a Z.

280Z Turbo

If you guys are interested in my latest project, here it is:

http://www.wmzclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13

1984 300ZX Turbo engine management system.

The Bosch LH-Jetronic based 300ZX EFI and ignition system was a HUGE leap forward technologically over the L-Jetronic based 280ZX Turbo. Both systems were built by JECS for Nissan back in the 80's.

The 280ZX Turbo featured a restrictive air flow meter and a really unreliable fuel injection computer. My engine was the first year for the new system and was the most buggy.

Next up is Tokico HP struts and matching lowering springs as well as bigger 15" 280ZX Turbo wheels shod with 205/60/15 BF Goodrich G-Force Sport Ultra-high performance summer tires.

280Z Turbo

Here's some pics of my car in Autocross trim. :P Notice that it has been lowered and it now has wheels from a 1981 280ZX Turbo in the back. I bought BF Goodrich G-Force sport tires for the back too. I didn't do well at all at the autocross, but it was still fun.

SaltyDog

Looks good lowered.  Actually, the whole car looks good.  Is that original paint?

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

In the automotive world slow is a very relative term.

280Z Turbo

Nope. It's just a little bit darker than stock, but the factory paint is still underneeth this crap.

The paint is really in bad shape, overall. It needs new paint ASAP.

SaltyDog

I posted this in the Chat and maybe you saw it but it seems like a good way of getting a near-pro paint job for $50.  It's a long read though.

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=2331682&page=0&fpart=1&vc=1

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

280Z Turbo

I'm familiar with the Rust-oleum cheap-bastard paint job.

It takes a long time from what I hear.

That kind of enamel paint isn't good for auto body applications.

SaltyDog

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on September 09, 2006, 12:00:34 AM
I'm familiar with the Rust-oleum cheap-bastard paint job.

It takes a long time from what I hear.

That kind of enamel paint isn't good for auto body applications.

It's just a few coats of paint after the body is prepped.  The Rustoleum paint is fine, and there's no need for a primer.  The alternative is forking over thousands.

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

280Z Turbo

Not if you do the prep work yourself. If you do that then you can just have Maaco shoot it for a few hundred bucks.

The rustoleum paint is not meant to be exposed to sun and never really dries. It will always have that tacky feel. Plus, the shine isn't as good and you're pretty limited on colors.

People who have done the rustoleum paint job say it's a lot of wet sanding.

SaltyDog

Wetsanding, polish, then wax and you have a nice finish.  Personally I'm not picky about colors and I don't think I'd put my car in Maaco's hands.

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

280Z Turbo

Maaco is actually good at spraying...they just do shitty prepwork, which I would do myself.

giant_mtb

Quote from: SaltyDog on September 08, 2006, 11:56:28 PM
I posted this in the Chat and maybe you saw it but it seems like a good way of getting a near-pro paint job for $50.  It's a long read though.

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=2331682&page=0&fpart=1&vc=1

That's pretty awesome.

280Z Turbo

Update:

I'm working on installing an intercooler right now.

I originally wanted to use an intercooler from a Mitsubishi Evo VIII, but now it looks like the best option is an intercooler from a Mk IV Toyota Supra because it's so compact.

I also got a boost controller which will allow me to turn up the boost from a meager 7 psi to probably...15 or so. My clutch is also going to have to be upgraded as it ain't gonna put up with the power I'm going to be putting down!

S204STi

Sweet!

So if somebody else were looking into a 280Z or 280ZX what would you recommend as far as things to look for and things to look out for/avoid?

280Z Turbo

Quote from: R-inge on October 01, 2006, 07:48:22 AM
Sweet!

So if somebody else were looking into a 280Z or 280ZX what would you recommend as far as things to look for and things to look out for/avoid?

Just to be clear, the 280Z and 280ZX are two completely different cars. The chasis of the 280ZX is closer to the 300ZX than the 240/260/280Z, although the drivetrains are about the same.

Just watch out for rust. That's it. In my findings, "rust-free" cars usually have some rust in the battery tray area, rocker panels, by the gas door, on the floor pans, on the frame rails, etc. I know because I have a "rust-free" California car. ;)

The engines are quite robust and parts are cheap and plentiful. They're also easy to work on and parts from other Nissans fit on like legos.

S204STi

Good deal, thanks man.

L. ed foote

Member, Self Preservation Society

Raza

Are you thinking about a different color?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

280Z Turbo

Yeah. Next year I want to shoot it with this:

I want to keep it fairly close to stock so that it doesn't look silly when I pop the hood.

Raza

I think a deep, dark blue would be nice.  The burnt orange Nissan color never really did it for me.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

280Z Turbo

I like that 350Z metallic orange. It's closer to the original color than the color it is right now.

Dark blue would look really silly with an orange engine bay and I don't think I want to remove the motor, transmission, the wires, brake lines, radiator, etc. for new paint.

280Z Turbo

Just got my Evo intercooler home. Check out my test fitting:

70's crash bumper removed for easy access. 8)

That pipe seems to be at a bad angle for me. I may have no choice but to cut, modify and reweld the end tanks.

The return pipe to the throttle body is coming from the passenger side.

Passenger side hole.

Kind of a tight space...not sure about brackets yet.

My new air cleaner position. It's a lot lower than before and I'll have to wrap the 3" pipe around the frame rail and up to the turbo.

I think I may run the oil cooler on the opposite side, but the oil cooler hoses are stiff as hell and I have no way to mount anything. I may go with a custom one, but I can't find a nice small one like the stock 280ZX one.

The Evo I/C itself.

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

280Z Turbo

BMW motors require a dry sump oiling system, because the sumps don't clear the front crossmember.

It's complicated and expensive to do, but it can be done.