EVs

Started by Morris Minor, November 08, 2018, 04:03:12 AM

r0tor

My area just loved to change zoning laws to allow warehouses to be built in agricultural zones... Even when they butt up against residential properties
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

CaminoRacer

Well Japan mixes housing into almost every zoning area. I would say that your warehouses just need apartments built on top of them for workers to live, and then build corner stores into the corner of the buildings too, or right next door.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

FoMoJo

Quote from: GoCougs on August 07, 2022, 09:21:17 AM
It's the people, not the cities. Any city - any living area - is fine if the people are fine.

You'll only have Japanese-level mass transit effectiveness and urban planning (i.e., the best in the world by like a factor of 10 at least) with an iron fist, particularly that illicit drugs, homelessness and petty crime are treated as serious offenses (i.e. you get locked up and shipped out), and whereby fathereless homes and unemployment are more than frowned upon by the culture.

USA is obviously going in the opposite direction, and it will never recover (at least in our lifetimes).
Would you prefer living in that rather regulated society as opposed to the free-for-all society in the US?
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

GoCougs

Quote from: FoMoJo on August 07, 2022, 08:41:01 AM
Deliberate or a vehicle malfunction?  I would hope the latter, as horrible as the incident was.

A vehicle malfunction to cause this is impossible.

Plainly intentional (even if by proxy - DUI, drowsy/distracted driving, etc.), also even without the fact she was involved in 13 previous wrecks.

Morris Minor

I hate it when crashes/wrecks as referred to as "accidents." If the lawyer is telling the truth, the woman is fucked up and should never be allowed near a car, let alone patients in a hospital. It would be fascinating if a nursing license came to light. Because I doubt one exists.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11095237/ICU-nurse-killed-6-L-crash-profound-mental-health-issues-history-accidents.html
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

FoMoJo

I'm amazed that she survived...apparently, with only minor injuries.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

Morris Minor

Modern car construction & safety systems are impressive. Plus of course her impact was cushioned by the cars & people she T-boned.

GoCougs

Yep, she hit 'em head on. Side impacts are especially deadly. Not only do vehicles not protect as well from side impacts, the body is much more susceptible to shear forces, esp. arteries and the neck (and fire of course, like here).

AutobahnSHO

So frakkin' nuts. She should be in jail for life.
Will

CaminoRacer

I saw a Lightning on Thursday. Less ground clearance than a normal truck. The battery pack sticks down at least 6 inches underneath the door sills.

Kinda weird seeing an IRS on a half ton truck too

r0tor

I love this thing

https://www.theverge.com/2022/8/16/23306656/polestar-o2-concept-polestar-6-production-2026

... But I would settle for 70% less power and possible cost
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

CaminoRacer

I saw that at Goodwood. Slick design

I was a bit disappointed with the seats in the Polestar 2 though.

r0tor

Well EV and phev discounts just got decimated by the climate bill...

MrH

Quote from: r0tor on August 17, 2022, 06:03:04 AM
Well EV and phev discounts just got decimated by the climate bill...

I thought it was the Inflation Reduction Act?!
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Morris Minor

The legacy UAW/horseless-carriage lobby leant on Democrats to put PHEVs on the same plane as EVs. Service advisors in dealerships all over America will still be selling you oil changes etc.

r0tor

If I'm reading this right, a rather large amount of EVs and PJEVs just became $7,500 more expensive today

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Morris Minor on August 17, 2022, 09:21:29 AM
The legacy UAW/horseless-carriage lobby leant on Democrats to put PHEVs on the same plane as EVs. Service advisors in dealerships all over America will still be selling you oil changes etc.

I'm fine with that. PHEVs are the gateway drug.

SJ_GTI

Quote from: r0tor on August 17, 2022, 10:13:41 AM
If I'm reading this right, a rather large amount of EVs and PJEVs just became $7,500 more expensive today

I think it depends on how it is implemented.

IIRC, the toughest requirement to achieve will be the materials % of the total within free trade countries. But again IIRC that requirement doesn't have to go into effect until 2024. If that is true, Model 3's and Y's (the highest selling EV's) would go from not getting any tax credit to getting the credit for all versions below 80,000. Bolt/Lightning/Mach-E would also qualify then I think (again for models under 80k).

Hopefully whichever department is in charge of implementing the rules (energy? transportation?) release which models qualify ASAP. I think the current uncertainty is not helpful at all.

Morris Minor

Quote from: r0tor on August 17, 2022, 10:13:41 AM
That's *generally* what happens: prices go up by the amount of the subsidy available.

The effect will be to incentivize production of unprofitable below-price-cap vehicles.  No need to iron out burdensome production costs when they are borne by someone else.

r0tor

Quote from: SJ_GTI on August 17, 2022, 11:57:10 AM
I think it depends on how it is implemented.

IIRC, the toughest requirement to achieve will be the materials % of the total within free trade countries. But again IIRC that requirement doesn't have to go into effect until 2024. If that is true, Model 3's and Y's (the highest selling EV's) would go from not getting any tax credit to getting the credit for all versions below 80,000. Bolt/Lightning/Mach-E would also qualify then I think (again for models under 80k).

Hopefully whichever department is in charge of implementing the rules (energy? transportation?) release which models qualify ASAP. I think the current uncertainty is not helpful at all.

From what I understand starting yesterday the vehicle needs to be assembled in the USA.  Not sure if it's immediately or 2023 there is then the $55k/80k price cap and earnings caps.  Then in 2024 is the huge hurdle of where materials are sourced.

We were looking at an XC60 Recharge... Won't be now

r0tor

Quote from: Morris Minor on August 17, 2022, 02:03:31 PM
That's *generally* what happens: prices go up by the amount of the subsidy available.

The effect will be to incentivize production of unprofitable below-price-cap vehicles.  No need to iron out burdensome production costs when they are borne by someone else.

No, literally cars eligible for a $7,500 rebate earlier this week are no longer eligible

Galaxy

For what poser is this built?

Yes, the Dodge Charger Daytona SRT is powered by batteries and electric motors, but air still swooshes through chambers and pipes for a rumble very similar to the roar of a Hemi Hellcat V-8 in today's Dodge Chargers and Challengers.  "We believe we need the sound and experience," says Kuniskis. That is why the car has a multispeed transmission and an exhaust note, so the driver can feel and hear the crack of the exhaust while shifting. This is the industry's first exhaust system for an electric vehicle, producing a similar 126-decibel sound as the one coming from the today's Hellcat engine. Dodge calls it "Fratzonic Chambered Exhaust." When the Daytona converts electricity to power, air flows through the exhaust system and the sound produced goes through an amplifier and tuning chamber at the rear of the vehicle. You can see and feel the pressure from the exhaust coming out the back.

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

giant_mtb

FoMoJo

That's no General Lee.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Galaxy on August 17, 2022, 05:18:44 PM
For what poser is this built?

Yes, the Dodge Charger Daytona SRT is powered by batteries and electric motors, but air still swooshes through chambers and pipes for a rumble very similar to the roar of a Hemi Hellcat V-8 in today's Dodge Chargers and Challengers.  "We believe we need the sound and experience," says Kuniskis. That is why the car has a multispeed transmission and an exhaust note, so the driver can feel and hear the crack of the exhaust while shifting. This is the industry's first exhaust system for an electric vehicle, producing a similar 126-decibel sound as the one coming from the today's Hellcat engine. Dodge calls it "Fratzonic Chambered Exhaust." When the Daytona converts electricity to power, air flows through the exhaust system and the sound produced goes through an amplifier and tuning chamber at the rear of the vehicle. You can see and feel the pressure from the exhaust coming out the back.

Cards.

Bicycle spokes.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Laconian

Quote from: r0tor on August 17, 2022, 04:47:01 PM
No, literally cars eligible for a $7,500 rebate earlier this week are no longer eligible

Terrible law.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

CaminoRacer

I thought the new law doesn't start until 2023 so the current system is in place until the end of the year?

But then again I thought the Charger was a 4 door now, but here we have a 2 door concept. What will the Challenger be, or is it dead?

Galaxy

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: CaminoRacer on August 17, 2022, 10:35:11 PM
I thought the new law doesn't start until 2023 so the current system is in place until the end of the year?

But then again I thought the Charger was a 4 door now, but here we have a 2 door concept. What will the Challenger be, or is it dead?

Probably a crossover
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)