Mechanic Stuff

Started by Eye of the Tiger, October 14, 2016, 03:00:10 PM

Laconian

Is that a pipe stuck in a muffler?
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: CaminoRacer on December 09, 2016, 09:03:47 PM
How'd that happen to a roller cam?

I imagine the bearings on the roller get stuck intermittently, and/or the material of the roller was defective. Once it gets a bad spot, it snowballs and just tears shit up. It might also be a lack of oil in a particular spot due to clogged up oil passages. This engine was dirty as hell inside.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Laconian on December 10, 2016, 02:36:55 AM
Is that a pipe stuck in a muffler?

That is a random/way-too-small pipe stuck in the outlet of the catalytic converter at a 45-degree angle , painstakingly secured with miles of bailing wire.

GoCougs

Quote from: FoMoJo on December 09, 2016, 07:24:12 PM
Pushrods :banghead:.

This is not relegated to pooprod motors - OHC engines eat cam lobes too - the force of the valve spring on the lifter and the interface of lifter to cam lobe are the same between the two valve train layouts.

GoCougs

Quote from: CaminoRacer on December 09, 2016, 09:03:47 PM
How'd that happen to a roller cam?

The retainer (which keeps the lifter roller parallel to the camshaft lobe) probably failed and then the lifter rotated in its bore such that the roller was sliding rather than rolling, which will wipe a lobe in a matter of minutes.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: GoCougs on December 10, 2016, 06:52:47 AM
The retainer (which keeps the lifter roller parallol to the camshaft lobe) probably failed and then the lifter rotated in its bore such that the roller was sliding rather than rolling, which will wipe a lobe in a matter of minutes.

Lol yeah that'd do it pretty quickly. Although I think the wear would probably be even worse since it sounded like they still drove the truck around for a while.

I think the bad bearing/bad oil circulation is the best guess.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: GoCougs on December 10, 2016, 06:48:07 AM
This is not relegated to pooprod motors - OHC engines eat cam lobes too - the force of the valve spring on the lifter and the interface of lifter to cam lobe are the same between the two valve train layouts.

Yeah, we also had a V6 Accord that ate lobes on two different cams. Valves were out of adjustment, but the main cause appeared to be material failure.

Quote from: GoCougs on December 10, 2016, 06:52:47 AM
The retainer (which keeps the lifter roller parallol to the camshaft lobe) probably failed and then the lifter rotated in its bore such that the roller was sliding rather than rolling, which will wipe a lobe in a matter of minutes.

Retainer was fine, lifter was oriented correctly.

SVT_Power

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on December 09, 2016, 07:24:49 PM
This could be the best job I've ever had, in a multifaceted sort of way. I'm just happy at work, and it pays enough. I actually look forward to going go work on Monday. That is unheard of.

:rockon:
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

shp4man

Customer says, "Whadaya mean it needs exhaust work, I just had that done, dammit! "  :lol:

Eye of the Tiger

Did a transaxle on a Chebby Uplander yesterday - which entails dropping the subframe - thanks, Chebby. Went fine though.
Got a Jerp Liberty tranny to do today. Only a 2wd. Should be cake.

giant_mtb

They made 2WD Libraries???

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: giant_mtb on December 20, 2016, 10:17:39 AM
They made 2WD Libraries???

Yeah. Pretty lame. There is just a big empty space where the front axle goes.

AutobahnSHO

Will

Soup DeVille

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

2o6

Quote from: Soup DeVille on December 21, 2016, 07:03:40 AM
Rental fleets.

Old people. I saw a lot of old ladies in my area that had FOUR CYLINDER 2WD Liberties.

Rupert

They made 2WD XTerras too.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Eye of the Tiger

I just put a clutch in a 91 Toyota Pickup 4x4, black.
READY TO RACE NEEDLES, NOW.

Soup DeVille

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

giant_mtb

Is a 2WD Libertarian TRAIL RATED?

Eye of the Tiger

I dunno. I worked on a BMW 325 today. Junk.

Eye of the Tiger

Also started working on a Camry with some problem. It starts and runs great for about two seconds, then shuts off. Every single timr. Throwing codes for all six ignition coils. Bullshit. I'm guessing ECM problem, because I can't think of anything else.

CaminoRacer

Timing belt slipped a tooth.

Eye of the Tiger

CaminoRacer

Alternator regulator blew and then blew all the coils.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: CaminoRacer on December 22, 2016, 07:02:34 PM
Alternator regulator blew and then blew all the coils.

Uh... it runs 100% fine for two seconds before shutting down. It's not the immobilizer, either. I checked that.

CaminoRacer

It's running so rich for 2 seconds that it temporarily fouls the plugs

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: CaminoRacer on December 22, 2016, 07:16:29 PM
It's running so rich for 2 seconds that it temporarily fouls the plugs

Yeah that has to be it.

FoMoJo

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on December 22, 2016, 06:40:23 PM
Also started working on a Camry with some problem. It starts and runs great for about two seconds, then shuts off. Every single timr. Throwing codes for all six ignition coils. Bullshit. I'm guessing ECM problem, because I can't think of anything else.
Reflash?
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: FoMoJo on December 22, 2016, 07:18:19 PM
Reflash?

I can't do that. Some amount of programming would have to be done to replace the ECM. Toyoter dealer might do it. Still can't exactly diagnose the ECM, itself, without some detailed specs and wiring diagrams.

Eye of the Tiger

So, the 91 Toyota Pickup (BTTF truck) that I put a clucth in last week ... it had a misfire, but car flipper guy wasn't sure if he wanted to bother fixing it until today. I looked at it and found the misfire on cylinder 6. Good spark, but plug is fouled. Checked compression: zero. So I had to pull the cylinder head, which pretty much took all day today. This engine is from the golden age of fuel injection where everything is controlled by a vacuum line. Most of them were dry rotted, and most of the plastic electrical connectors just crumbled trying to take them apart. What a cluster fuck.

Anyway, the #6 exhaust valve was burned to hell. Why? Because lazy OEMs like Toyota designed exhaust manifolds that dump exhaust from the rest of the engine right in front of cylinder 6. Idiots, but they don't care as long as it lasts through the warranty period. Also, this thing was covered in oil. The valve covers have probably been leaking since 1992.
A new exhaust valve is coming in tomorrow, so I can try to put this crap back together. I asked of I could just put a Weber carb on it, but I guess they thought I was joking.