Mechanic Stuff

Started by Eye of the Tiger, October 14, 2016, 03:00:10 PM

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on December 22, 2016, 06:40:23 PM
Also started working on a Camry with some problem. It starts and runs great for about two seconds, then shuts off. Every single timr. Throwing codes for all six ignition coils. Bullshit. I'm guessing ECM problem, because I can't think of anything else.

After more diagnosis, and swapping coils over from an Avalon with the same engine, I found out that ONE bad coil can trick the PCM into thinking ALL Of the coils are bad. And for some reason, that causes it to shut the engine down. When I swapped the coils betweem the Camry and Avalon and the problem moved to the Avalon, while the Camry ran fine.  Just stupid programming, Toyota. Is that some kind of scam to sell ignition coils?
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

FoMoJo

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on December 28, 2016, 06:26:17 PM
After more diagnosis, and swapping coils over from an Avalon with the same engine, I found out that ONE bad coil can trick the PCM into thinking ALL Of the coils are bad. And for some reason, that causes it to shut the engine down. When I swapped the coils betweem the Camry and Avalon and the problem moved to the Avalon, while the Camry ran fine.  Just stupid programming, Toyota. Is that some kind of scam to sell ignition coils?
Spaghetti code.  Toyotas are notorious for it.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: FoMoJo on December 28, 2016, 07:14:48 PM
Spaghetti code.  Toyotas are notorious for it.

If I am going to get spaghetti, I demand meatballs.

FoMoJo

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on December 29, 2016, 10:25:26 AM
If I am going to get spaghetti, I demand meatballs.
You might find them behind the wheel.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

shp4man

It's called RF (radio frequency interference). Sometimes alternators cause it, too.

Edit: Also be advised that relatively intelligent auto technicians don't usually make as much money as dumbass hacks with no sense of ethics. Just sayin cause you don't seem like a stupid person. :muffin:

Eye of the Tiger

So I could fix it faster if I wear a tin foil hat...?

Edit: I just found out the timing belt tensioner pulley bolt hole is stripped on this 91 Toyota Pickup. That explains why it was so easy to loosen yesterday. I need that foil hat.

Eye of the Tiger

OMGWTFVACUUMLINES

srsly wtf toyota

giant_mtb

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: giant_mtb on December 30, 2016, 10:57:24 AM
That sucks.

;)

Har dee har har.
I have already taken the upper intake back off once because I forgot to hook the cold start injector up to the fuel rail. I am about to take it off again because the PCV line crumbled apart. I replaced most of the rubber lines, but forgot that one.
I also broke two coolant sensors. There is this little coolant sensor block on the back of the lower intake with FOUR different coolant sensors... a regular one, one for the gauge, one with a thermostatic switch for the cold start injector, and one that controls a vacuum circuit. The first two are $10 at any parts store. The last two are the ones I broke. The cold injector switch was $170 for a new one. The vacuum one I just bypassed because I have no idea what it does.

giant_mtb

Is that the kind of shit you tell the bossman "it was already broken, I just missed it the first time around" ?  :lol:

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: giant_mtb on December 30, 2016, 12:20:08 PM
Is that the kind of shit you tell the bossman "it was already broken, I just missed it the first time around" ?  :lol:

Dude. I don't get paid by the hour. This is all on me. It usually doesn't take me three days to R&R a cylinder head on anything.  :lockedup:

giant_mtb

shp4man

It's common to charge a bit more to work on older cars. Shit's gonna break. Parts issues.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: giant_mtb on December 30, 2016, 01:06:18 PM
win sum, lose sum.

Just like this truck lost the race to Needles.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: shp4man on December 30, 2016, 01:12:45 PM
It's common to charge a bit more to work on older cars. Shit's gonna break. Parts issues.

Yeah, but this is turning into a damn resotation.

Eye of the Tiger

Shit week at job. Didn't make much money. About the only thing I got done was replacing the transmission in a 3.2 TL. That also involved removing the steering column. Don't ask why.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on January 06, 2017, 07:41:14 PM
Shit week at job. Didn't make much money. About the only thing I got done was replacing the transmission in a 3.2 TL. That also involved removing the steering column. Don't ask why.

Why?

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: giant_mtb on January 06, 2017, 08:50:58 PM
Why?

Because the steering shaft pulled apart when I dropped the subframe, even though I tied the rack up. Fuck.

sparkplug

at least it wasn't a dodge intrepid.
Getting stoned, one stone at a time.

Eye of the Tiger

Goddam ghetto hooptie Lincoln Navivator today. Air bags are flat, so it's a lowrider. Engine had no oil pressure, so I dropped the pan and removed the pickup tube. Everything in the tray is what was stuck in the screen. Huge chunks of orange RTV silicone.

It has oil pressure now.

FoMoJo

Holy crap!  I thought for a second that that was what you cooked for your supper. :lol:

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: FoMoJo on January 19, 2017, 01:17:30 PM
Holy crap!  I thought for a second that that was what you cooked for your supper. :lol:

Close, but no. That is what happens when you use an entire tube of silicone on an oil pan THAT HAS A REUSEABLE RUBBER GASKET. Not only was the oil oan gasket leaking, but the excess silicone dripped into the oil pan and ruined the engine.

sparkplug

using rtv silicone with a reusable gasket doesn't work. just like using forgetting to remove the rubber ring for the oil filter if it gets stuck on the engine.
Getting stoned, one stone at a time.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: sparkplug on January 19, 2017, 07:01:35 PM
using rtv silicone with a reusable gasket doesn't work. just like using forgetting to remove the rubber ring for the oil filter if it gets stuck on the engine.

what happened to your cat?

Eye of the Tiger

I found a Ma$e - Feel So Good single CD in a truck. It has the radio and instrumental version.

Eye of the Tiger

92 F150 5.0, changed fuel pump, and what appear to be the original spark plugs. Junk. It would make a good LAND truck if it wasn't 2wd.

FoMoJo

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on January 23, 2017, 03:06:11 PM
92 F150 5.0, changed fuel pump, and what appear to be the original spark plugs. Junk. It would make a good LAND truck if it wasn't 2wd.

How many miles...and what kind of plugs are they?

SVT_Power

Quote from: FoMoJo on January 23, 2017, 03:38:15 PM

The original kind
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: FoMoJo on January 23, 2017, 03:38:15 PM

102K, Motorcraft rusty and fouled.

FoMoJo

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on January 23, 2017, 04:22:57 PM
102K, Motorcraft rusty and fouled.
Pretty low mileage for a 25 year old truck, and if they are the original plugs, that's...amazing.