Mechanic Stuff

Started by Eye of the Tiger, October 14, 2016, 03:00:10 PM

CaminoRacer

Didn't turn the rotors when changing the pads?
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: shp4man on October 10, 2019, 11:27:27 AM
Are those the FULL metallic pads? Looks like they're pretty hard on the rotors.  :lol:   Customer must be completely deaf.  Or completely stupid. Probably the second one.  ;)

It was a Chrysler 200, so they probably thought it was normal.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: CaminoRacer on October 10, 2019, 12:15:22 PM
Didn't turn the rotors when changing the pads?

And drove for another 20,000 miles, I have to assume. The car only had 74K on it.

Eye of the Tiger

RomanChariot

I had a buddy that had a corroded battery cable on a 4.3L S-10 but was having a hard time with the routing from the battery to the starter so he cut the cable about a foot from the battery and attached a new length of cable using a very large electrical twist nut. I found out about it when he couldn't get his truck to start a couple of years later. We tried eveything to jump start the truck but could't get power to the starter. That's when he remembered the twist nut. He pulled it out and we cleaned it and the wires up from corrosion, put it back on and the truck fired up. As far as I know that twist nut stayed in there until his wife totaled the truck.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: RomanChariot on October 14, 2019, 09:32:26 AM
I had a buddy that had a corroded battery cable on a 4.3L S-10 but was having a hard time with the routing from the battery to the starter so he cut the cable about a foot from the battery and attached a new length of cable using a very large electrical twist nut. I found out about it when he couldn't get his truck to start a couple of years later. We tried eveything to jump start the truck but could't get power to the starter. That's when he remembered the twist nut. He pulled it out and we cleaned it and the wires up from corrosion, put it back on and the truck fired up. As far as I know that twist nut stayed in there until his wife totaled the truck.

Well, wire nuts look stupid; but they are designed to make electrical connections. Had he used a wet location nut, or taped it up properly, it likely would have been fine.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Eye of the Tiger

Wire nuts don't belong anywhere near a vehicle, and I think they suck on any stranded wire. :pee:

shp4man

It's common on old car forums to make fun of the stupid, cheap stuff the PO (previous owner) does. Most of the time, it's hidden, and you find out about it during a restoration. It's kind of funny, but I guess not if it's your car.  :lol:

Eye of the Tiger

I got to put a manual transmission in a 2015 Versa, today. PO had torn up reverse. Pretty easy job. Somehow, this thing had 99K on it, and no knocking sounds from the engine.

MrH

Alright, so weird situation with the girlfriend's car (2012 Ford Focus).

Wouldn't start.  I showed up thinking it was a battery.  Seemed to have enough power, but wasn't even trying to turn over.  Hooked up the jumper cables just in case, but nothing.

Figured it was a starter.  Arranged for a tow truck to take it to the Ford dealer the next day.  Next day, it started right up.  She drove it over there, they said it was a bad transmission module?  Replaced it over warranty for free, and it's been fine since.

I figured if the transmission module was bad, it would start, just not shift into gear or something.  This wouldn't even turn over?
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Soup DeVille

If the transmission is telling the ecu that its in gear, it won't even try to start.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

shp4man

Quote from: MrH on October 20, 2019, 05:30:40 PM
Alright, so weird situation with the girlfriend's car (2012 Ford Focus).

Wouldn't start.  I showed up thinking it was a battery.  Seemed to have enough power, but wasn't even trying to turn over.  Hooked up the jumper cables just in case, but nothing.

Figured it was a starter.  Arranged for a tow truck to take it to the Ford dealer the next day.  Next day, it started right up.  She drove it over there, they said it was a bad transmission module?  Replaced it over warranty for free, and it's been fine since.

I figured if the transmission module was bad, it would start, just not shift into gear or something.  This wouldn't even turn over?

Common issue. The early TCMs were junk- high failure rate, so Ford put a super long warranty on them.

MrH

Quote from: Soup DeVille on October 20, 2019, 06:25:09 PM
If the transmission is telling the ecu that its in gear, it won't even try to start.

Quote from: shp4man on October 20, 2019, 07:16:56 PM
Common issue. The early TCMs were junk- high failure rate, so Ford put a super long warranty on them.

I guess that makes sense.  You would think if the TCM failed or wasn't sending a signal, it would default that the car was in neutral to allow for it to start?
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Soup DeVille

Quote from: MrH on October 21, 2019, 08:39:23 AM
I guess that makes sense.  You would think if the TCM failed or wasn't sending a signal, it would default that the car was in neutral to allow for it to start?

I think its probably a positive safety; the ECU needs an "OK" signal for the engine to start, otherwise in failure mode it might try to start in gear.

Eye of the Tiger

I just spent about 3 hours adjusting the valves on a 3.5 V6 Honda because it had a random misfire. All of them were too tight. I loosened them all to spec, and now it's fucking clickity clackity. Fuck.

FoMoJo

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on November 26, 2019, 01:29:19 PM
I just spent about 3 hours adjusting the valves on a 3.5 V6 Honda because it had a random misfire. All of them were too tight. I loosened them all to spec, and now it's fucking clickity clackity. Fuck.
Just add some 50 weight oil. :huh:
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: FoMoJo on November 26, 2019, 02:16:09 PM
Just add some 50 weight oil. :huh:

It has 160K on it. It's worn out. Buy a motor, cheapskates!

FoMoJo

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on November 26, 2019, 02:45:03 PM
It has 160K on it. It's worn out. Buy a motor, cheapskates!
Honda engines are supposed to last forever.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: FoMoJo on November 26, 2019, 02:46:32 PM
Honda engines are supposed to last forever.

It's a race car. Race car engines are expensive. Nothing requires valve adjustment these days except race cars, Hondas, and motorcycles.

Eye of the Tiger

Did another valve adjustment on a Honda. '08 CR-V, K24. I generally like working on this engine. I had to remove the intake manifold in order to replace a rusted out coolant pipe, which was stupid, but not difficult at all. Kinda miss my Element.

Eye of the Tiger

Oh, and then I got this 2012 Mercedes ML350 diesel, and they need me to find an oil leak. Without even looking, I said it is probably the vacuum pump. Yup. Why does every German car leak oil from the vacuum pump? And of course, nobody keeps the stupid rubber seal in stock. The dealer wants to sell the entire pump. Fuck you. RTV to the rescue.

Eye of the Tiger

Guy buys beat up Doge truck on our used car lot. Brings it in way past the warranty. Crank sensor code, won't start. He had a Doge Guy diagnose it, says it needs a new computer. Has it towed to our shop, demands we put computer in it.
Lol ok.
I look at it, pull each connector on the PCM, and one was full of rusty mud water. Clean it up, slop some silicone grease on it, and it runs perfect, no codes.
Lol. Stop driving through lakes.

CaminoRacer

Dirt Every Day had a good episode where they intentionally drove into a pond and then got it running again. Truck was nasty af when they pulled it out.

Eye of the Tiger

I like me some dirt erry day

Eye of the Tiger

After doing 104720 oil changes and 7288 brake pads the last two weeks, I finally get some real work. A CTS 3.6 AWD "needs a starter".

Upon further inspextion, the crankshaft only turns so far, and then gets jammed.

Removed the intake manifold and valve covers to find sparkly new timing chains, but the cams don't even try to move with the crankshaft.

Tear it down some more, and remove the front timing cover. Lol. The left idler sprocket's bolt snapped off in the block. What a mess.

Used engine is coming tomorrow.

RomanChariot

Sounds like somebody went a little He-Man when they were tightening things down.

Eye of the Tiger

I am figuring out that the CTS was not designed to have the engine replaced, ever. I mean, I'm pulling it out the top because I'm using a drive-on lift. It would be easier to drop the whole front subframe, engine, trans, and t-case all out the bottom, as it was probably assembled at the factory.
I'll have it out by the end of the.
week? :lol:

RomanChariot

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on January 29, 2020, 10:31:54 AM
I am figuring out that the CTS was not designed to have the engine replaced, ever. I mean, I'm pulling it out the top because I'm using a drive-on lift. It would be easier to drop the whole front subframe, engine, trans, and t-case all out the bottom, as it was probably assembled at the factory.
I'll have it out by the end of the.
week? :lol:

I remember years ago doing some work on my sister's Pontiac 6000 diesel. While fixing one issue I noticed that the oil pan gasket was leaking so I thought I would change that for her. Unfortunately, the transmission pan blocked access to some of bolts on the oil pan so step 1 to replace the oil pan gasket was "remove the engine." It leaked oil until the day it died.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: RomanChariot on January 29, 2020, 11:22:16 AM
I remember years ago doing some work on my sister's Pontiac 6000 diesel. While fixing one issue I noticed that the oil pan gasket was leaking so I thought I would change that for her. Unfortunately, the transmission pan blocked access to some of bolts on the oil pan so step 1 to replace the oil pan gasket was "remove the engine." It leaked oil until the day it died.

Automatic undercarriage corrosion proofing.

Eye of the Tiger

I got the engine out today, but then realized the replacement engine was a port-injected LY7(?) 3.6 from a base mod CTS, but this CTS has the optional-for-2009 dirext-injection LLT(?) 3.6.

Flippin flapjacks!  :lockedup: