Motorcycles.

Started by S204STi, July 21, 2008, 10:19:36 AM

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Soup DeVille on July 31, 2020, 04:48:12 AM
I have an older, but high quality recumbent bike that I have been playing with the idea of adding hub motor to...

I love the idea of a recumbent, but it feels suicidal in traffic.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on July 31, 2020, 04:57:39 AM
I love the idea of a recumbent, but it feels suicidal in traffic.

I got used to it when I used to commute with it- but it was scary at first.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Eye of the Tiger

Speed_Racer

How about one of these, $550 and ships with Prime lol

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Speed_Racer on August 01, 2020, 10:58:39 AM
How about one of these, $550 and ships with Prime lol

Too much CC. Not skreet legal :lockedup:

Speed_Racer

Eye of the Tiger

If I had LAND I would get one just to go check the mailbox.
And walk the dogs.
but no land

Speed_Racer

I'm debating whether I should sell the Street Triple at the end of the year or next spring. Each canyon carving ride this year has been ruined by busy canyons full of Sunday drivers. COVID has really crowded our backroads, trails, campgrounds, etc. Plus I no longer commute to an office so my use cases for the bike are drying up.

I'm not sure it's worth having two bikes when the Tiger can do 90% on road + off road + 2Up. On the downside, the Streety was a dream bike I waited years to buy. But I hate not being able to ride it to its full potential. On the positive side, if I were to sell it I'd just roll the funds into a different type of fun vehicle - I'm still brainstorming what that could be.

Just thinking out loud. The end.

Speed_Racer

Lots of dirt riding this year. I never see any other adventure bikes out on the backroads, so either they're dumb or I am.

Gotta-Qik-C7

It's about time to tuck my "2 Wheeled Minivan" away for the Winter.......
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Speed_Racer on October 21, 2020, 09:25:47 AM
Lots of dirt riding this year. I never see any other adventure bikes out on the backroads, so either they're dumb or I am.

if you're alive, and having fun, its not you.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Laconian

Is that Lake Bonneville in the distance?
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Speed_Racer

Quote from: Laconian on October 21, 2020, 03:03:31 PM
Is that Lake Bonneville in the distance?

Yep, looking westward

MX793

This exceeded expectations.  It's like stock car racing on 2-wheels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOFDCnA7zb8
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Speed_Racer

"New" bike day! When a coworker said he knew someone looking to unload a project bike for cheap, I had to jump on it. It cost me a pack of Coors. :rockon:

The previous owner said it ran as recently as last year but he stopped riding. I'll spend the winter replacing fluids, repairing stuff, etc and hopefully it's ready to go in the spring! Lots of backwoods trails I've been wanting to explore that are too technical for the Tiger.

1982 XL500R

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Eye of the Tiger

I'll give you two packs of Coors!

FoMoJo

Good deal.  It's a Honda, it'll run.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Speed_Racer

RomanChariot

Quote from: Speed_Racer on November 01, 2020, 09:31:23 AM
"New" bike day! When a coworker said he knew someone looking to unload a project bike for cheap, I had to jump on it. It cost me a pack of Coors. :rockon:

The previous owner said it ran as recently as last year but he stopped riding. I'll spend the winter replacing fluids, repairing stuff, etc and hopefully it's ready to go in the spring! Lots of backwoods trails I've been wanting to explore that are too technical for the Tiger.

1982 XL500R

I have always wanted one of those. If you ever want to unload it, I am just down the road:)

Speed_Racer

Quote from: RomanChariot on November 02, 2020, 09:29:17 AM
I have always wanted one of those. If you ever want to unload it, I am just down the road:)

I forget you're also in Utah :rockon:

Speaking of which - i think the riding season is coming to a close this weekend.

RomanChariot

Quote from: Speed_Racer on November 06, 2020, 10:16:44 AM
I forget you're also in Utah :rockon:

Speaking of which - i think the riding season is coming to a close this weekend.

There are often some warm days around Thanksgiving but I would agree that riding season is pretty much finished. I do look forward to some rain and/or snow. It has been a really dry summer.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: RomanChariot on November 06, 2020, 02:42:13 PM
I do look forward to some rain and/or snow. It has been a really dry summer.

+20

Speed_Racer

I squeezed in a ride on the Tiger yesterday with temps ranging from 30-45 depending on how close I was to the mountains. I did see many other bikes and top-down convertibles, which is nice to see.

I picked up an original service manual and have begun ordering parts for the Honda.

Speed_Racer

Replaced the handlebars and getting ready to install some new handle-bar equipment - clutch lever, light switches, grips, mirrors.
Tank is off, which is easier without emissions and ECUs in the way. Mud everwheres though.

I just got a JIS screwdriver set, so next up is pulling the airbox and carb for a thorough cleaning. I'll likely pull the cylinder head as well - previous owner sloppily applied some gasket goo and i'd rather it done right.

Speed_Racer

It's coming along! I spent most of this past weekend tackling a bunch of things at once. I recently put a TV in the garage too and it's been surprisingly relaxing to wrench with shows in the background.

Done: The carb is cleaned and re-installed. Re-oiled the prefilter. New battery. Forks have fresh seals and fluid. Front & rear wheel bearings regreased. All cables are lubed. I painted some pieces enamel black. New sprockets and chain are standing by until fresh tires are installed in a few weeks. There are only a few options for my wheel sizes (3.00-21, 4.60-17), so I'm going with a set of Dunlop dual sports. Looks like a good balance of on & off road capable. I decided to not remove the cylinder head. Someone else sealed it with gasket material and there doesn't appear to be any oil leaks (common). So I'll just leave well-enough alone until it becomes a problem.

To be done: Install some grippier footpegs. New front turn signals. Swap electrical connectors for the replacement switch module - the XL has a 9 pin female, the new switch is a 6 pin female plus three wires on the side. :rolleyes: I bought a new throttle tube but it doesn't fit my cable housing, so I need to figure a solution for that. The trip odometer reset knob doesn't work, somethings out of place in the speedo housing.

Running total: $~400 in parts

Speed_Racer

Winter is over, and so is the winter project. I got the bike back together this afternoon and thankfully it kickstarted right up! I took a victory lap around the neighborhood during a snow squall. The brake/clutch cables needed some fine-tuning, plus the quick-link I used for the chain popped right off so I swapped it for a riveted master.

Up next, some cosmetics. Repainting and applying (or making) fresh decals for the plastics, and a buff & polish and new Honda decals on the tank.

First start video
The first half I'm troubleshooting a flaky connection at the key. I'll dig into it this week.

CaminoRacer

That bike would be a great prop for Red Dawn or Stranger Things.

Speed_Racer

I'm available for hire as a background extra haha.

SVT_Power

Gonna be a little while until my riding season starts this year. Won't have access to the bike until mid-April, then need to get the tires changed. Might not really be riding until May. :cry:
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna