El Camino project car

Started by hotrodalex, October 04, 2008, 12:49:56 PM

Eye of the Tiger

I hope you beat that silly Ford economy car.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

CaminoRacer

Quote from: CaminoRacer on March 22, 2019, 09:36:31 PM
Continuing the assault on my bank account. Current power steering pump is leaky, so I ordered another one. Also ordered a flow reducer to go from 3 gpm to 2 gpm, a new pressure hose, a fluid cooler, a press-on pulley, and 2 quarts of Redline power steering fluid. All in the name of reducing groans from the pump after autox runs, especially now that I have sticky 275's up front.

So the flow reducer didn't fit, so the new system is just a new pump, hose, cooler, and good fluid. The system hasn't made a noise at all, even after autox runs, so I think it's good to go. Only worse situation would be 100+ degrees for autox, which I haven't done yet. But since I have electric fans, having them running between runs should cool it down well.

Current project is fixing the 2-3 shift grind. I'm not sure if it's a weak syncro, the fault of the shifter not being adjusted perfectly, or both. I tried to install a new reverse gear lever but I think the linkage rod is also the wrong one for my shifter. I ordered a new one that should work, maybe next weekend I can install it.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

shp4man

Quote from: CaminoRacer on July 21, 2019, 04:24:24 PM
So the flow reducer didn't fit, so the new system is just a new pump, hose, cooler, and good fluid. The system hasn't made a noise at all, even after autox runs, so I think it's good to go. Only worse situation would be 100+ degrees for autox, which I haven't done yet. But since I have electric fans, having them running between runs should cool it down well.

Current project is fixing the 2-3 shift grind. I'm not sure if it's a weak syncro, the fault of the shifter not being adjusted perfectly, or both. I tried to install a new reverse gear lever but I think the linkage rod is also the wrong one for my shifter. I ordered a new one that should work, maybe next weekend I can install it.

What trans is it?

CaminoRacer

Muncie M20

The reverse rod is too short for the shifter I'm currently using. I have another shifter that it would work for, but that shifter is too short. I think it was out of a Corvette, not a Chevelle, so the seating position is different

CaminoRacer

Got the new rod installed today. Works great. Now I can tweak the adjustments to hopefully get rid of that grind

Eye of the Tiger

Connecting rod. Metering rod. Push rod. Tie rod. Panhard rod. So many rods!!

CaminoRacer

The last Corbeau's I bought didn't work out. But these look good. Side mount and the bottom cushion/frame is nice and thin. Should give me another inch or two of headroom and get my eye level under the rear view mirror. I went to a local shop that sells them and sat in one today. Pretty comfy. Just can't gain more than like 10 lbs. :lol:

https://corbeau.com/sport-fixed-back/dfx.html

MrH

EDIT:  Nevermind, it's right in the link.  $300?  Seems too cheap to be decent
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

CaminoRacer

Yeah but I'm not spending $800/seat for Sparco Evo III's. Gotta save my money for a TKO600 transmission and Ford 9" rear end (3.70 gears and TruTrac LSD)

FoMoJo

Quote from: CaminoRacer on March 02, 2020, 09:22:41 AM
Yeah but I'm not spending $800/seat for Sparco Evo III's. Gotta save my money for a TKO600 transmission and Ford 9" rear end (3.70 gears and TruTrac LSD)
What do you need the 9" diff for?  Planning to add more power?
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

CaminoRacer

Quote from: FoMoJo on March 02, 2020, 09:30:08 AM
What do you need the 9" diff for?  Planning to add more power?

Current rear end doesn't have a limited slip and it's only a 10 Bolt. Instead of spending money on adding a posi and changing the ring gear, and then still having a weaker 10 Bolt that could potentially break, it's only a little bit more money to buy a brand new 9" that's set up exactly the way I want. Most aftermarket companies use 9" so it's harder to find 12 Bolts and they're a bit more expensive.

Eye of the Tiger

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on March 02, 2020, 11:00:51 AM
Ha, nice Ford Ranchero. :evildude:

I think TKO's are based on Ford Mustang transmissions too.

FoMoJo

Quote from: CaminoRacer on March 02, 2020, 11:04:58 AM
I think TKO's are based on Ford Mustang transmissions too.
Might as well drop in a nice FE and complete the set then.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

Eye of the Tiger

CaminoRacer

Nope. Small block is staying. Might get a Holley Sniper EFI kit and might turn into a 383 stroker, but no LS and definitely no stinkin' Ford.

CaminoRacer

I snapped both front spindles yesterday during an autocross. I thought I hit a cone and it got stuck in the fenderwell, but then saw this carnage when I got out of the car after being red-flagged.

Driver's side snapped right in the beefy inner end part. Passenger side snapped in the middle/toward the outer end. They were aftermarket forged drop spindles that I've had for years and hundreds of autox laps. No warning of failure. Still trying to figure out why they both snapped.

FoMoJo

That sucks.  Much other damage?

CaminoRacer

Gonna need to replace these parts:

- spindles
- rotors/wheel bearings
- pads
- caliper mounting brackets
- maybe the calipers
- flex brake lines
- tires

I think the wheels are alright. A bit of "curbing" on the inside edge of the drivers' side but it's hidden and shouldn't affect anything. I'll have to do a more thorough inspection of everything next weekend.

Looking at parts now to see if I want to change the control arms out for something else while I'm at it. I don't think they're damaged but I need to make sure it all works together appropriately.

Gotta-Qik-C7

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

MrH

2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Eye of the Tiger

I have never seen one snapped spindle, nevermind two at the same time. :lol:

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on March 16, 2020, 01:04:32 PM
I have never seen one snapped spindle, nevermind two at the same time. :lol:

GRIP

CaminoRacer

But seriously I was booking it. I was in 2nd place and needed to get a couple seconds quicker to get back into 1st. Front end was gripping like mad, zero understeer. Until the spindles snapped :lol:

Soup DeVille

Brutal man; did you change something recently? Brake balance?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

giant_mtb

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Soup DeVille on March 16, 2020, 01:30:38 PM
Brutal man; did you change something recently? Brake balance?

Swapped to slightly better pads up front last spring. And got new rotors and wheel bearings at that time. Been to a few events since then.

CaminoRacer

First parts ordered:
https://www.speedwaymotors.com/G-Comp-2-Inch-Drop-Performance-Spindles-for-GM-A-F-X-Body-Muscle-Cars,80737.html

Taller spindle so I don't need to use tall ball joints and I'll have an even better camber curve. And they're forged.
Also bought some AFCO lower resistance upper ball joints to replace my current tall ball joints.

Need to decide on what upper control arm will work best. Might need to switch to a shorter style arm since the spindle is taller.

Eye of the Tiger

Do those spindles come with a warranty? :lol:

FoMoJo

Quote from: CaminoRacer on March 19, 2020, 04:37:12 PM
First parts ordered:
https://www.speedwaymotors.com/G-Comp-2-Inch-Drop-Performance-Spindles-for-GM-A-F-X-Body-Muscle-Cars,80737.html

Taller spindle so I don't need to use tall ball joints and I'll have an even better camber curve. And they're forged.
Also bought some AFCO lower resistance upper ball joints to replace my current tall ball joints.

Need to decide on what upper control arm will work best. Might need to switch to a shorter style arm since the spindle is taller.
They look kinda spindly. :huh: