Project Z

Started by 280Z Turbo, November 20, 2005, 05:37:16 PM

280Z Turbo

QuoteWow, good progress.  The interior looks decent.
Well, the front speakers in the center console are in the Ranger, the back seat is trash, and the doors were cut by a PO for 4x10 speakers, but it does look better!

280Z Turbo

Some unforeseen consequences today. My homemade differential flange tool snapped in half (it was a thick pipe too!), my antifreeze hose started leaking, I couldn't find any hose clamps (had to steal some from the Corvette), and I need a vacuum fittting cap. Other than that, I could fire it up right now, just not drive it.

I've already started looking for a new differential. I honestly don't expect this one to work, but I hope it does.

Raghavan

Limited slip diff?

280Z Turbo

Hell no! I wish though!

Those things cost an arm and leg! I just saw one go for around $600 (it was either $550 or $650).

They were only installed on 1987-1989 300ZX Turbos.

An open diff is still good enough for my intents and purposes.

Raghavan

QuoteHell no! I wish though!

Those things cost an arm and leg! I just saw one go for around $600 (it was either $550 or $650).

how much does an open diff cost?

280Z Turbo

QuoteHell no! I wish though!

how much does an open diff cost?
This was free. It's from an '84 300ZX Turbo. The flange was wrong for my '76 driveshaft so I had to swap it. This sounds easy enough, but you have to consider drivetrain balance and more importantly, pinion bearing preload (139-159 ft/lbs).

omicron

I can't wait to see the finished car. :)

280Z Turbo

Finished? :blink:  

Raghavan

Wasn't it always finished?

280Z Turbo

Let me explain something to you guys about the Z car:

IT IS NEVER FINISHED!

I don't care how shiny your paint is, what's under the hood, our how plush the interior is, there's always room for improvement! The only people who get "done" are those who keep it all original.

Raghavan

QuoteLet me explain something to you guys about the Z car:

IT IS NEVER FINISHED!

I don't care how shiny your paint is, what's under the hood, our how plush the interior is, there's always room for improvement! The only people who get "done" are those who keep it all original.
:praise:
So... when you have lots of money... will you stick a v8 under the hood? :praise:  

280Z Turbo

Probably not in this one. I have nothing against V8 Zs, but I like the sound, simplicity, and originality of the Nissan L28.

People have dropped in small block Chevy V8s, big block Chevy V8s, small block Chryslers, LS1s, LS2s, SR20s, the diesel version of the L28, VG30s, RB25s, Inifniti V8s, electric motors, Ford 302s, Ford 351s, Cadillac 500 ci V8s...I could go on and on.

The beauty of a Z is that it can swallow just about any engine ever put into a car.

omicron

Raza

QuoteProbably not in this one. I have nothing against V8 Zs, but I like the sound, simplicity, and originality of the Nissan L28.

People have dropped in small block Chevy V8s, big block Chevy V8s, small block Chryslers, LS1s, LS2s, SR20s, the diesel version of the L28, VG30s, RB25s, Inifniti V8s, electric motors, Ford 302s, Ford 351s, Cadillac 500 ci V8s...I could go on and on.

The beauty of a Z is that it can swallow just about any engine ever put into a car.
I wonder what a Mercedes V12 with twin turbochargers would do...
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raghavan

QuoteProbably not in this one. I have nothing against V8 Zs, but I like the sound, simplicity, and originality of the Nissan L28.

I wonder what a Mercedes V12 with twin turbochargers would do...
flex the chassisl with all that torque and make it undriveable.

280Z Turbo

I have 3 words for you guys:

Catastrophic turbo failure!

Oil started pouring out the exhaust and wastegate arm. An unbelieveable amount of smoke came out. It ran like it was cammed. I am out of $125 for a turbo rebuild.

I believe it happened because the seals were already iffy, and when they sit for several cold, dry months and you fire it up again, problems are bound to happen.

Raza

Easy come, easy go.

I'm sorry man.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

280Z Turbo

I've been meaning to rebuild that thing anyway. I'm just glad that its the turbo dumping oil and not the motor.

On top of that BS, I unknowinly lowered the front valance onto the jack stand and dented it up. I can probably pound it out, but still... :banghead:  

footoflead

QuoteI have 3 words for you guys:

Oil started pouring out the exhaust and wastegate arm. An unbelieveable amount of smoke came out. It ran like it was cammed. I am out of $125 for a turbo rebuild.

I believe it happened because the seals were already iffy, and when they sit for several cold, dry months and you fire it up again, problems are bound to happen.
That post needs this smilie

Sorry to hear that man...Perhapes a bigger turbo is on the way ;)
Speed is my drug, Adrenaline my addiction
Racing is an addiction...and the only cure is poverty
Sometimes you just have to floor it and hope for the best
Member of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's

Raghavan

Twin turbo?

footoflead

Twin turbo?
i dont see twin anywhere in my post...and that would be alot more work for him to do..not only does he have to buy two turbos, but all the piping to connect the second one  ;)  

'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'05 Silverado, Mom's

Raghavan

Twin turbo?
i dont see twin anywhere in my post...and that would be alot more work for him to do..not only does he have to buy two turbos, but all the piping to connect the second one  ;)
I know, i'm just saying.... why not go all out? :praise:  

280Z Turbo

Twin turbo?
I know, i'm just saying.... why not go all out? :praise:
Sorry, but you're both being dumb. :P

A bigger turbo is not necessary at 7 psi of boost and would actually hinder performance by making the motor fight against the added air resistance of a larger turbine. Not to mention the cost of a brand new well made turbocharger is way beyond what I can afford.

The logistics of twin turbos is just crazy. I would need to known a lot more about turbos to be able to do that. Not to mention the fact that I would need to have another flange on the exhaust manifold.

Turning up the boost is out of the question as I would need an intercooler, intercooler piping, a boost controller, larger clutch, and bigger injectors...perhaps even a new fuel pump. I don't have that kind of money to piss away.

Raghavan

Or you could just put in a high revving S2000 engine and call it a day... :)

footoflead

QuoteOr you could just put in a high revving S2000 engine and call it a day... :)
Or go for some real power with a 350 crate swap ;)

'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'05 Silverado, Mom's

sparkplug

QuoteOr you could just put in a high revving S2000 engine and call it a day... :)
Nah. Just put a 5hp Briggs and Stratton. That should have more hp than your old engine.

If that isn't enough, well then just get stuff Viper engine in their.

Raghavan

:nono:  

footoflead

Its been done and fits easily from what i hear ;)

Dont  :nono: me bitch :devil:  

'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'05 Silverado, Mom's

Raghavan

Its been done and fits easily from what i hear ;)

Dont  :nono: me bitch :devil:
:nono:  :nono:  :nono:  

280Z Turbo

Here's some pics from Lansing yesterday. Notice the V8 240Z.

And the Z31 Turbo I got to ride in from GR to Lansing: :rockon:

We had about 12-13 cars and when we all cruised past the Michigan Capitol building there was an angry protest and it was, of all groups, the UAW. Just as we rolled up in front of the capitol some guy was shouting "...and we're losing our jobs to the Japaneese!" :P