Odyssey of the Odyssey

Started by AutobahnSHO, November 27, 2017, 01:08:21 PM

AutobahnSHO

I've had a weird squeak I assumed was brakes but maybe wheel bearing for a while, but Saturday it turned into a GRIND when pushing the brakes.

Took it to local Firestone to diagnose, they want $2100 to replace front and rear struts/shocks, bushings in the front, rear brakes & rotors, $90 to replace brake fluid (with labor), alignment, and 2 rear tires (I don't rotate like I should, they were on front until a month ago, they're at 5/32).

:hammerhead:

I'll do brakes myself Saturday and look for the "seeping" of the front strut and examine the control arm bushings.
Will

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

shp4man

giant_mtb

Bah, give everything a good wiggle while it's off the ground and you're good to go.

2o6

Firestone tried to tell me I had low coolant because they started my old Yaris cold and the "cold engine" low temp light came on.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: CaminoRacer on November 27, 2017, 01:19:39 PM
lol they tried to get u good

inorite?

Quote from: shp4man on November 27, 2017, 02:57:58 PM
How many miles on the vehicle?

215000ish.

Quote from: giant_mtb on November 27, 2017, 03:50:46 PM
Bah, give everything a good wiggle while it's off the ground and you're good to go.

perfect, thanks!

Quote from: 2o6 on November 27, 2017, 06:34:19 PM
Firestone tried to tell me I had low coolant because they started my old Yaris cold and the "cold engine" low temp light came on.

LOL
Will

AutobahnSHO

Bought cheap rotors and best AutoZone pads, plus jackstands and a bottle jack. Under $200, now I can do it in the garage at my leisure. Firestone wanted $320 just for the brake job.
Will

AutobahnSHO

Got the van lifted and caliper off at lunch.

Cheap bottle jack I bought doesn't go very high. :facepalm:

Had to lift van as much as the jack would go, put a jackstand (wheel was still on ground), lower the jack and put a couple 2x4 pieces under it, and lift the car higher to raise the jackstand up. Wheel was off the ground though.

I need to buy a couple bolts to force the rotor off, I'm sure it's rusted solid on there.
Will

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: FoMoJo on November 30, 2017, 02:29:27 PM
Time to get that new Flex ;).

LOL Nope. Paying $1500/month in child support and we love the no-debt life. Odyssey is going great (knock on wood).
Will

shp4man

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on November 30, 2017, 02:52:20 PM
LOL Nope. Paying $1500/month in child support and we love the no-debt life. Odyssey is going great (knock on wood).

Do you have any kind of a service manual?

AutobahnSHO

Will

shp4man

Well, you won't like this, but with 215K miles, $2100 is probably cheap. Just sayin'

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: shp4man on November 30, 2017, 04:34:32 PM
Well, you won't like this, but with 215K miles, $2100 is probably cheap. Just sayin'

nah, they wanted $90 to replace the brake fluid. New tires on the rear. (They have less than 1 or  2 years and 5/32.)

a year and a half ago they wanted to put new belts on impreza. Still fine on the old ones.
Will

AutobahnSHO

Sigh. Put bolts on to push the rusted rotors off and cracked the rotor instead.

What next? Hopefully not this
https://handycrowd.com/remove-rusted-seized-brake-discs-honda-crv/
Will

CaminoRacer

Aren't you replacing the rotor? NBD if it's cracked.

Get some WD-40 rust release spray (NOT regular WD-40), spray it liberally on the crack between the rotor and the hub. Let it soak for a while. Use a mallet and hit the back side, maybe hit it perpendicular on the edge as well, to try to knock the corrosion off.

If that doesn't work, try heating it up. You have a propane torch or anything? Maybe steal a flamethrower from your workplace. Or Harbor Freight sells little butane torches for cheap. Idk if those will get it hot enough, but it might be worth a try.

When you put the new rotors on, apply anti-seize around the center of the rotor - anything that touches the hub behind it. I also put some anti-seize on the front side when I did the brakes on the Mazda last week, since one of the wheels had gotten stuck on.

AutobahnSHO

Thanks. I'll get some spray and let them both soak awhile.
Will

AutobahnSHO

Sprayed some Blaster last night, banged on it a bit this morning, still nothing. I sprayed some more and rotated the wheel then sprayed more and rotated so it hopefully spreads out more, will try in a couple hours or might go rent a puller from autozone.

And I'm now the proud owner of a 3lb sledge. :mrcool:
Will

mzziaz

Quote from: shp4man on November 30, 2017, 04:34:32 PM

Yup
Cuore Sportivo

FoMoJo

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on December 02, 2017, 07:09:54 AM
Sprayed some Blaster last night, banged on it a bit this morning, still nothing. I sprayed some more and rotated the wheel then sprayed more and rotated so it hopefully spreads out more, will try in a couple hours or might go rent a puller from autozone.

And I'm now the proud owner of a 3lb sledge. :mrcool:
You might have a couple thousands dollars of new tools by the time you're done. :huh:
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

2o6

If you rockauto the parts, and go to an indie shop, you can prolly cut down on Labor, but to be honest at 215K that's not a terrible price for that service.

AutobahnSHO

So I'm an idiot. There are two little screws with Phillips head that keep the rotor on the hub. Took them off and one more bang with my new trusty sledge and the rotor cake right off.

Got the rest of the job done and back together in about an hour. (Had to help wife some, she's steaming the aftermarket tint off the Impreza door Windows because stupid NY laws... Safety inspection is a month overdue :mask: )

now the OTHER side rear brakes need done.
I just got the van jacked, wheel off, sprayed the screws and through the holes in the rotor to loosen it up some.

Yes it would be nicer to just take it to a shop, but learning the skills and accumulating the tools is nice to just do it in my own garage in the future.

BTW yes it had 215k miles, we bought it at 168k in spring 2015. Former owner literally took it to the dealer for EVERYTHING. Even oil changes. Interior looked so pristine! Said they just took it on road trips.
Will

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: 2o6 on December 02, 2017, 09:24:35 AM
If you rockauto the parts, and go to an indie shop, you can prolly cut down on Labor, but to be honest at 215K that's not a terrible price for that service.

Yeah but this shop recommends stuff that isn't even close to necessary.
Will

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: FoMoJo on December 02, 2017, 08:18:54 AM
You might have a couple thousands dollars of new tools by the time you're done. :huh:

:lol: sweet!
Will

CaminoRacer

Did you put the screws back in the new rotor? Most don't bother. They're mostly there for initial assembly in the factory.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: CaminoRacer on December 02, 2017, 01:27:54 PM
Did you put the screws back in the new rotor? Most don't bother. They're mostly there for initial assembly in the factory.

That's what I figure- keeps the rotors on while they go down the line, making it easier to build later.

Yes I put them back. :facepalm:
Will

AutobahnSHO

idiot move #2
Got passenger side all done, started driver side, got it all apart better than the first side (said screws were very hard to get out, (first set were super easy). I sprayed with blaster, banged with a hammer (they're sunk in flush with the face of the rotor), finally I used the bolts to push the disc out from the hub a bit and they screwed right out.

Then i go to put the pads on and realize both of them have an extra clippy thingey on them which neither on the other side had. So I should have put one clippy thingey on each wheel. :facepalm:

Had to jack passenger side back up onto jackstand, take wheel off, just swing the pad holder down and took the pad off, putting it all back together was way faster the 2nd time. :lol: And putting the driver side all back together was even faster.

Finished drive side

and work area. The light is an LED table lamp I bought to put on our piano but it's too bright. We put it on a nightstand in the bedroom and point it at the wall and just use the reflected light LOL. The orange tape on the floor was there when we moved in.

((The yellow glow is a cheap "outdoor wireless speaker set for outdoors entertaining" which works really well for stuff like this. Sync BT to phone, and there are 2 extra speakers which sync to the base unit and you don't have to turn it up loud to get sound in a wide area. They have silly candle effects.))

Will

AutobahnSHO

Oh as far as tools all we bought were the sledge and blaster spray. And pads/rotors (came with clips and grease).

I already had sockets, (3/8in and 1/2in) and breaker bars for both (1-2ft pipes from home depot), screwdrivers, pliers, wire clippers & wire coat hanger (for holding caliper assembly while replacing rotor)... 
Will

CaminoRacer

Yeah, the screws can be hard to remove & strip easily since they're phillips. That's why most people don't put them in. :lol:

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: CaminoRacer on December 02, 2017, 05:57:17 PM
Yeah, the screws can be hard to remove & strip easily since they're phillips. That's why most people don't put them in. :lol:

There's really no point but my wife worries. :huh:  I read people end up having to drill them or dremel tool them out.  But really the spray along with pushing the rotor away from the hub made it quick.

I was REALLY surprised that they were strong enough to withstand the pressure I was putting on the first rotor. That rotor got cracked BAD as I was pulling it off with the two bolt method.
Will