Current Projects

Started by FlatBlackCaddy, May 06, 2005, 09:58:06 AM

JWC

QuoteI want to start building another dune buggy.Street legal fiberglass "Manx" style.
Im in the "casually looking" stage for a body or preferably a "incomplete project"/complete but needs alot of work" car.
I found a Manx  sitting is a field with a bunch of other junk cars on a farm near Jacksonville.  I wasn't sure it was genuine and by the time I figured it out, it was gone. If I ever see another.....well, if there's two, I'll email you.  

Now, if you want an old Corvair, I know where there's a whole field of them, including a van.

Wait, you said Manx style? Well, if you just want a clone I'll keep an eye out. My family lives in MHC and Swansboro and I see one on occasion for sale, sometimes pretty cheap.
Thanks JWC.The car thats been sitting in someones back yard I can buy cheap would be a great find.
The only thing salvageable may be the body but thats really all I need to get started.I have a friend with a large aircooled junkyard! Hes got plenty of doaner pans,engines,and trannies.Everything but buggie bodies that is....He even has titles galore so I can make it any "year" I want between the early 60's to mid 70's.Someone told me 70' and older vehicles doesnt require inspections here in NC anymore BTW....
A Manx style clone would be fine.Seems like people with real Manx bodies think they have gold sometimes.Some of the clones are actually better body designs IMO.
Theres a barn 5 miles from my house that had two complete but (sitting forever) buggies in it.Belonged to a guy who died years ago but his daughter inherited the property.Got to find out if they are still there.The paint on one looked good enough to clean up,buff out,and show!
If so I will contact you!
A guy I know has a nice Chenoworth style street legal rail for $3800 if your interested.That buddy of mine that restores bugs built it about 5 years ago originally and its in fine shape.Needs nothing and has a 1776 engine dressed out.
Id consider it myself but the wife wants another glass buggy.
That wouldn't be somewhere  outside of Elizabeth City, NC? My wrecker driver said he saw a whole yard of VWs just outside of there and said I should check it out. Unfortunately, things kept getting in the way...so I never made it that direction.

L. ed foote

QuoteWhat is a Manx style dune buggy?

Gotta be patient with us upstate New Yorkers.  We rarely see the sun, much less a beach.
Member, Self Preservation Society

Zcarnut

QuoteI want to start building another dune buggy.Street legal fiberglass "Manx" style.
Im in the "casually looking" stage for a body or preferably a "incomplete project"/complete but needs alot of work" car.
I found a Manx  sitting is a field with a bunch of other junk cars on a farm near Jacksonville.  I wasn't sure it was genuine and by the time I figured it out, it was gone. If I ever see another.....well, if there's two, I'll email you.  

Now, if you want an old Corvair, I know where there's a whole field of them, including a van.

Wait, you said Manx style? Well, if you just want a clone I'll keep an eye out. My family lives in MHC and Swansboro and I see one on occasion for sale, sometimes pretty cheap.
Thanks JWC.The car thats been sitting in someones back yard I can buy cheap would be a great find.
The only thing salvageable may be the body but thats really all I need to get started.I have a friend with a large aircooled junkyard! Hes got plenty of doaner pans,engines,and trannies.Everything but buggie bodies that is....He even has titles galore so I can make it any "year" I want between the early 60's to mid 70's.Someone told me 70' and older vehicles doesnt require inspections here in NC anymore BTW....
A Manx style clone would be fine.Seems like people with real Manx bodies think they have gold sometimes.Some of the clones are actually better body designs IMO.
Theres a barn 5 miles from my house that had two complete but (sitting forever) buggies in it.Belonged to a guy who died years ago but his daughter inherited the property.Got to find out if they are still there.The paint on one looked good enough to clean up,buff out,and show!
If so I will contact you!
A guy I know has a nice Chenoworth style street legal rail for $3800 if your interested.That buddy of mine that restores bugs built it about 5 years ago originally and its in fine shape.Needs nothing and has a 1776 engine dressed out.
Id consider it myself but the wife wants another glass buggy.
That wouldn't be somewhere  outside of Elizabeth City, NC? My wrecker driver said he saw a whole yard of VWs just outside of there and said I should check it out. Unfortunately, things kept getting in the way...so I never made it that direction.

LOL..Small world aint it JWC? Yeah,thats "Joes VW Repair" on Highway 17 about 10 miles south of Elizabeth City.I built both of my previous buggies there.
Hes got alot of cars out there and some rare ones too.Things,vans,and i think he has a Bradley GT too now.I can hook you up if you need a part.
That green rail is back on Joes property for sale (better exposure).Sounds like your driver spotted it.
I sold one of Joe's restorations to a museum in Norfolk VA.If you ever go to "Nauticus",see if you can spot the Black Beetle on the large "scale" demonstrating how much one of those Battleship shells weighed.
The top pic is the rail I had.The roof,floor,and rear "trunk" was all done in diamond plate.Side pannels were polished alluminum.It was a 4 seater frame but I converted it to two (Bugpack Fugitive frame). Had a AM/FM CD in the overhead too with speakers mouted to the roof pannel behind your head.
The bottom is a museum shot of that black Bug.

I do drive a Honda (when im mowing my lawn).

SargeMonkey

I am rebuilding a 1970 C20 with a nice 350, only has 10,000 miles. Right now I am fighting off the hornets agin. :angry:  
`79 Civic Cvcc
`81 Civic 1300xl
`78 Silverado Camper 454
`70 Chevy Fleetside (non running)
`91 Camry XL All-trac 4cyl
`86 Toyota Pickup (475k miles)
`92 Jeep Wrangler Renegade 4" lift 35" tires.