The Z is running like crap

Started by 280Z Turbo, May 21, 2005, 05:40:52 PM

280Z Turbo

I remember my old engine would ocassionally do this too...can't remember why though. It will start immediately, but even if I floor it, it does not run very fast.

It's very rough and there's smoke coming out of the exhaust. It just goes "put-put-put". I had off the valve cover and everything looked good and it ran fine until now.

Should I run it and wait for it to warm up and run good, or is something wrong here?

Perhaps it's flooded?

giant_mtb

Is it carb'd?  I dunno..if it is maybe the linkages or cables aren't in good condition and it isn't allowing it to open up...  Or maybe it is flooded...but you'd think after a few minutes of running it would become clean again...

giant_mtb

Also...what about the sleeves?  pistons?  Maybe there's a leak within the cylinder or something...

280Z Turbo

It's fuel injected and turbocharged. I'll try running it for a while and see if it smooths out. I think it used to eventually smooth out with the old engine.

giant_mtb

Oh...fuel injection. <_<   Probably flooded...but what woulda caused the flooding?

Fire It Up

QuoteOh...fuel injection. <_<   Probably flooded...but what woulda caused the flooding?
A lot of rain.  :lol:  

Founder of CarSPIN Turbo Club

FlatBlackCaddy

Could possibly be in the ignition system, have you pulled the cap off and checked it out? If its running rough and sputtering it may have a timing problem of some sort.

280Z Turbo

QuoteCould possibly be in the ignition system, have you pulled the cap off and checked it out? If its running rough and sputtering it may have a timing problem of some sort.
Could be the finicky crank angle sensor. There's a reason why they only made those things in 1981. I have a buddy from the Z car club with the same engine so I'm going to ask him.

I'm also thinking the turbo might be an issue here.

FlatBlackCaddy

Maybe if the turbine is froze, but if its free it should still idle fine.

If those sensors are a known problem odds are good it could be that.

El Barto

QuoteOh...fuel injection. <_<   Probably flooded...but what woulda caused the flooding?
2016 Volkswagen GTI (Aug 2015 - Present)
2008 Volkswagen Jetta Wolfsburg (Aug 2011 - Aug 2015)
2003 Saab 9-3 2.0t (Oct 2007 - Aug 2011)
1990 Nissan Maxima SE (July 2003 - Oct 2007)

giant_mtb

QuoteOh...fuel injection. <_<   Probably flooded...but what woulda caused the flooding?
LOL!  :lol:  

Fire It Up

QuoteOh...fuel injection. <_<?  Probably flooded...but what woulda caused the flooding?
Maxima.org has the best smilies.  :praise:  

Founder of CarSPIN Turbo Club

El Barto

SargeMonkey

Smoke? Flooding does not cause smoke, unless its a 2-stroke
There could be an oil leak, like a bad ring, or the oil needs changing, the plug wire could also be damaged, one on my truck melted and there was blue smoke out the pipes and it puttered.
`79 Civic Cvcc
`81 Civic 1300xl
`78 Silverado Camper 454
`70 Chevy Fleetside (non running)
`91 Camry XL All-trac 4cyl
`86 Toyota Pickup (475k miles)
`92 Jeep Wrangler Renegade 4" lift 35" tires.

BartsSVO

It sounds like it is running too rich. Check your fuel pressure regulator for leaks and proper operation. There shouldn't be any fuel in the vaccum hose connected to it. Also you could have a bad O2 sensor. Pull the plugs and tell us how they look.
--Bart

1986 Mustang SVO
1995 Ranger XLT

280Z Turbo

It was the spark plugs. I was running a bit rich before so it made the cheap POS Autolites foul out. I put the in the NGKs from my old engine and it fired right up and ran good!

El Barto

QuoteIt was the spark plugs. I was running a bit rich before so it made the cheap POS Autolites foul out. I put the in the NGKs from my old engine and it fired right up and ran good!
3rd Gen Maximas run like shit unless your using NGK plugs.  I always thought it was just the 3rd gen that needed NGK plugs to run right.

giant_mtb

Glad the problem's solved... ^_^

Rupert

You might wanna fix the running rich unless you like replacing spark plugs...
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

BartsSVO

QuoteIt was the spark plugs. I was running a bit rich before so it made the cheap POS Autolites foul out. I put the in the NGKs from my old engine and it fired right up and ran good!
Heh heh...until they foul from the rich mixture! A slightly rich mixture typically won't cause issues, but if it was enough to foul the plugs, you'll be swapping plugs again before too long!

My personal experience has shown that either Autolite or NGK are good plugs.  
--Bart

1986 Mustang SVO
1995 Ranger XLT

Zcarnut

The MAF (Mass Airflow Sensor) is notorious for causing drivabilty problems like that on 280zx/300zx models.
Anyone have a spare in your Z club you can hot swap and see if it goes away?Takes only a minute or two to swap out.
EDIT..Didnt notice you ID'ed the problem already. Stick with NGK's for now on!
I do drive a Honda (when im mowing my lawn).