Is there any way to stop paint-peel?

Started by giant_mtb, May 28, 2005, 05:45:46 PM

TBR

QuoteDon't worry about it, you will only have to drive it for a couple of years and as long as it is sound mechanically no one will make fun of you.
lol Yeah I guess you're right...there's a lot worse at my high school than the Explorer...
Yep, just be happy that you won't have to buy your own car.
Yeah...some kids here brag about buying a 400 dollar car...but with their own money!   I'm like...umm..congrats.  :praise:  Although the Explorer I get to drive is probably worth about 400...lol
I doubt it, even crap piles are more expensive than you might think.
i saw a Jetta selling for $99 once. :lol:
But I bet it wasn't mechanically sound.
probably not, considering it was an '86.
The age of a car doesn't determine its mechanical soundness, rather it is how it was taken care of and any car selling for $99, whether it is a '86 or a '00, wasn't properly taken care of.  

giant_mtb

QuoteDon't worry about it, you will only have to drive it for a couple of years and as long as it is sound mechanically no one will make fun of you.
lol Yeah I guess you're right...there's a lot worse at my high school than the Explorer...
Yeah...some kids here brag about buying a 400 dollar car...but with their own money!   I'm like...umm..congrats.  :praise:  Although the Explorer I get to drive is probably worth about 400...lol
The age of a car doesn't determine its mechanical soundness, rather it is how it was taken care of and any car selling for $99, whether it is a '86 or a '00, wasn't properly taken care of.
I'd buy just about any car for 99 dollars...just for something to mess around with and have some fun with.

ifcar

On the subject of expensive crap piles, anyone remember the C/D reader sighting of a certain classified ad? It read something like "1996 Acura Integra, $3,500, only rolled once." It's pictured upside down. :lol:

TBR

QuoteOn the subject of expensive crap piles, anyone remember the C/D reader sighting of a certain classified ad? It read something like "1996 Acura Integra, $3,500, only rolled once." It's pictured upside down. :lol:
Yep, I remember that.  

Raghavan

i know, but an '86 would prolly go for $1k, but since it's not mechanically sound, it's so cheap.

TBR

i know, but an '86 would prolly go for $1k, but since it's not mechanically sound, it's so cheap.
A domestic car from '86 would probably go for $800-$1200 in good shape, but an import like a Jetta could probably fetch as much as $2000.

Raghavan

A domestic car from '86 would probably go for $800-$1200 in good shape, but an import like a Jetta could probably fetch as much as $2000.
that's why i'm saying it musn't be mechanically sound for it to be that cheap.

Rupert

You could sand the rust and spot paint just those areas...
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Raghavan

QuoteYou could sand the rust and spot paint just those areas...
it would look a bit patchy though. better than a rustbucket, i guess.

giant_mtb

I'd need quite a bit of spot paint or touch up paint to cover all the rust...so I'll probably just get rid of the rust via sanding or dremel-ing to at least slow the deterioration somewhat...

Raghavan

I'd need quite a bit of spot paint or touch up paint to cover all the rust...so I'll probably just get rid of the rust via sanding or dremel-ing to at least slow the deterioration somewhat...
after getting all the rust out, be sure to protect those places somehow or esle they'll rust again.

giant_mtb

after getting all the rust out, be sure to protect those places somehow or esle they'll rust again.
But with what...is there some sort of spray or invisible covering I could put on the areas to prevent it..?

Raghavan

But with what...is there some sort of spray or invisible covering I could put on the areas to prevent it..?
dunno, do some reasearch on the net maybe?

giant_mtb

I'll just try Menards or something...and if that doesn't work I'll do some research quick and maybe take a trip to the nearest AutoZone (90 miles away.. <_< )

Raghavan

I'll just try Menards or something...and if that doesn't work I'll do some research quick and maybe take a trip to the nearest AutoZone (90 miles away.. <_< )
wow. why is everythign so far away for you???

Run Away

QuoteOn the subject of expensive crap piles, anyone remember the C/D reader sighting of a certain classified ad? It read something like "1996 Acura Integra, $3,500, only rolled once." It's pictured upside down. :lol:
The stupid part is that it's actually worth that, if it's a GS-R model. :(

Damn expensive Hondas.

Run Away

If it's just surface rust (no holes) then sand it down, then rattle can paint it.

If your brother will not let you do this to "his" car then at least have him let you apply some rust treatment (the stuff that stops the spreading so that it won't get any rustier by the time you have it).

Raghavan

The stupid part is that it's actually worth that, if it's a GS-R model. :(

Damn expensive Hondas.
why are they worth that much?

Run Away

B18C1 engine is what justifies the price, mostly.
It's worth about $2500 along with the transmission.
Plus you can strip the rest of the car for parts, or rebuild it.

Raghavan

QuoteB18C1 engine is what justifies the price, mostly.
just for the engine and tranny? :o  

Run Away

Yup.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...ssPageName=WDVW

Here's one for $2,900 for just the engine, no tranny. This one is probably in better condition than most, but still.

Raghavan

Yup.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...ssPageName=WDVW

Here's one for $2,900 for just the engine, no tranny. This one is probably in better condition than most, but still.
it has 152k miles on it already....

giant_mtb

Well...I guess technically you could consider the entire Upper Peninsula a rural area...so maybe that's why, but I dunno...my area just doesn't have an Auto Zone.  We have NAPA and Menards and Wal-Mart for that so there really isn't any need...so the closest one is about 90 miles away...oh well.  :angry:  

giant_mtb

QuoteIf it's just surface rust (no holes) then sand it down, then rattle can paint it.

If your brother will not let you do this to "his" car then at least have him let you apply some rust treatment (the stuff that stops the spreading so that it won't get any rustier by the time you have it).
Yeah...it's just surface rust, and a lot of it! lol   Spray paint it?!

I doubt he'd let me do that...but who knows.  I might have to wait until I have the car in order to do it...which by then there might be rust holes 'cause the kid never washes the thing...even in the winter.  <_<  :rolleyes:  

Raghavan

Well...I guess technically you could consider the entire Upper Peninsula a rural area...so maybe that's why, but I dunno...my area just doesn't have an Auto Zone.  We have NAPA and Menards and Wal-Mart for that so there really isn't any need...so the closest one is about 90 miles away...oh well.  :angry:
rural areas are sort of wierd....

giant_mtb

Yeah...although in the past 3 years we've gotten 3 new major stores (Kohl's, Target, Pier 1 Imports) and they upgraded our Wal-Mart to a "SuperCenter" so we're deffinitely climbing...but Wal-Mart still sucks because the parking lot is cramped and you have to walk all the way across the thing to the store because there aren't any close spots because people are parked there all day and the store's a mess.  <_<  So we just go to Target where my brother works and have trouble-free shopping with a 10% discount on everything!  :praise:  

Raghavan

Yeah...although in the past 3 years we've gotten 3 new major stores (Kohl's, Target, Pier 1 Imports) and they upgraded our Wal-Mart to a "SuperCenter" so we're deffinitely climbing...but Wal-Mart still sucks because the parking lot is cramped and you have to walk all the way across the thing to the store because there aren't any close spots because people are parked there all day and the store's a mess.  <_<  So we just go to Target where my brother works and have trouble-free shopping with a 10% discount on everything!  :praise:
:praise:  

Run Away

QuoteIf it's just surface rust (no holes) then sand it down, then rattle can paint it.

Yeah...it's just surface rust, and a lot of it! lol   Spray paint it?!

I doubt he'd let me do that...but who knows.  I might have to wait until I have the car in order to do it...which by then there might be rust holes 'cause the kid never washes the thing...even in the winter.  <_<  :rolleyes:
Yup. With a good prep job, spray paint can actually look pretty nice. I don't mean spray painting the whole car, just the areas where you fixed the rust. Find the closest possible match to stock paint (take into account that it has probably fadded a bit) wash the surface really well, do it indoors if possible on a day when there is no wind and learn to spray paint correctly so there are no drips or puddles of paint and it'll hardly be noticeable. My car has been painted with a spray can, and I didn't even notice it untill after a bought it.

SargeMonkey

79 civic 95k miles and needed to have the carb rebuilt = $150, I am picking it up sunday, it took me a week to clean out that silicon.
`79 Civic Cvcc
`81 Civic 1300xl
`78 Silverado Camper 454
`70 Chevy Fleetside (non running)
`91 Camry XL All-trac 4cyl
`86 Toyota Pickup (475k miles)
`92 Jeep Wrangler Renegade 4" lift 35" tires.

footoflead

Quotemaybe put one of those clear plastic sheets that are transparent over the wheelwells, or put one of those plastic splashgaurds on the wheelwells.
Griot's Garage has these..look at the bottom of the page...check out the rest of the page...they have some cool stuff
Griots Garage

.i think thats what you were talking about when you said clear plastic sheets
Speed is my drug, Adrenaline my addiction
Racing is an addiction...and the only cure is poverty
Sometimes you just have to floor it and hope for the best
Member of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's